Unknown but Vaguely Familiar Patch

ehrentitle

I recently purchased this patch along with a WWI Service of Supply patch. It looks vaguely familiar, I think I've seen it on the forum, but don't know where. Can someone here identify?

6736791367_5918901a9a_z.jpg

You mean Services of Supply.

Probably, I don't have any current references on WWI patches, so I pulled out my 1975 Britton and Washington catalog, "U.S. Military Shoulder Patches of the US Armed Forces". It listed it as Service of Supply.

I wouldn't take that ID to the bank just yet. I believe these have been discussed on here before (along with the supposed USMC version). I don't think anyone was able to come up with any evidence that the widespread ebay ID of "presidential guard" was anywhere near correct. One would think there would be a photo somewhere of a presidential guard wearing this, considering thats a pretty high profile job, right?

I'm fairly convinced that its simply a home front/patriotic patch from the WWII period.

Vance

Much appreciated. Do you know the general period it was worn and its rarity?

Here's another variation of the so-called "presidential guard" patch. Neither one are really all that close to the seal of the president of the United States or the Great Seal of the United States.

post-781-1327252402.jpeg

Thanks Vance, I don't have much in it and figured it would turn out to be some type of commercial piece. I noticed that the patch that you post, while quite similar does have some subtle differences. The shield is different as are the stars, scroll, and tail feathers. Also the eagle is facing the arrows rather than the olive branch

Here's the previous discussion: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...sidential+guard

Yours is a bit different, but I have no doubt they are in the same basic family.

I hope this helps,

Vance

Thanks Vance, I had seen the thread and promptly forgot about it until the patch showed up on E-bay. Then I had a vague memory that it might be rare so I purchased it.

I've never seen this patch show up in any patch reference, and I've got just about all of the major reference books published since WWII.

Much appreciated. Do you know the general period it was worn and its rarity?

I do not know the authorization dates but I think late-1918/early-1919 to late-1919/early-1920.