Finding the Lost Battalion

jgawne

Finding the Lost Battalion, by Robert Laplander, ISBN 1411676564

I stumbled onto this book thanks to the author selling them on ebay. It is a trade paperback- over an inch thick- and self published through a print on demand company. Normally that means the kiss of death- not this time.

This is one of the best books on WW1 I have ever read. And I have read a great many of them. It is possible as close as anyone can come to the best history of the Lost Battalion in BOTH the times it was cut off. The author seems to have really done his homework poking around in a lot of obscure places and contacting families for letters, German records, walked the ground, etc. It's just a terrific work. And I don't say that often.

Negatives? Well like all military books the maps could be better. But this is true for just about every book on combat. You really need a fold out map in the back like the green books so you can follow along. But really, there is nothing wrong about his maps, just that you can never do enough with maps. And my other complaint is that there is not a nice hardcover edition (maybe a little bit larger in format) to buy. [and I've mentioned this to him]. I mean it is THAT good.

For collectors there is the best known list of who was in the pocket. And it is not at all hard to read. It almost (but not quite) makes up for that horrendous film about the subject.

It is sold via amazon which I would the best deal on. And I can not recommend it enough. (and if you know how I normally bash books, that's pretty good!)

jgawne,

Would you happen to remember if there was any mention of a Pvt. Albert Summers? He was awarded the DSC as a result of his heroic actions while they were besieged. He is the grandfather to my next door neighbor. If he is mentioned, I'll be sure to let her know as I'm sure the family would be interested.

BTW, I have posted numerous photos of his uniform, medal, papers, etc which can be seen at:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/sho...ad.php?t=250971

Merry Christmas,

Greg

I dont recall, and am not at home currently to look it up. But if he was there then it was mentioned, as there were a great many getting the DSC.

The author has a web site and I am sure he would be happy to tell you how much on that guy is in the book.

I dont recall, and am not at home currently to look it up. But if he was there then it was mentioned, as there were a great many getting the DSC.

The author has a web site and I am sure he would be happy to tell you how much on that guy is in the book.

Here you are

Teufelhund

Hello folks!

Lost Battalion historian and author Robert J. Laplander here, with lots of exciting news! This is the first message you will receive concerning a new organization we are starting here at the American Expeditionary Foundation directly concerned with going a step farther for the memories of the Lost Battalion men and their famous event. Beginning April 1st, we are starting up the ‘Friends and Families of the Lost Battalion Association’. The purpose of the new organization is largely two-fold. First, it is a chance for people interested in the Lost Battalion to get in contact with each other concerning the event and the men, through a newsletter that will be sent out both electronically as well as through general post. This will make it easier to gather information into the main Lost Battalion database, contained in my collection, in order to preserve as much as possible the stories and other information related to the event and the men concerned with it. In the future, this database will eventually be opened to the public for study purposes, but before that happens members of the F.F.L.B. will be the only ones able to research the database, through me, for projects of their own.

The second purpose of the organization falls under the umbrella of a cooperative effort between the American Expeditionary Foundation and representatives of the First Division Foundation in France. This effort is known as the ‘Lost Battalion Preservation Project’. The goals of the project are basically to preserve and protect the sites of the actions in both the Charlevaux Ravine and on l’Homme Mort, and the first order of business is to place a proper ‘storyboard’ at the Charlevaux site that will clearly explain what happened there. As many of you known, the only marker there is the triangular one placed above along side the Binarville-La Viergette road above the site back in the 1920’s by the American Battle Monuments Commission. While a fine tribute and a classic marker, it leaves a lot to be desired, and after so many years many that visit the site do not really know what happened there and the marker tells them little. This dignified and classy storyboard will briefly and clearly explain the story to visitors. We are planning on having the storyboard in place and ready for an official unveiling on November 11th, 2008 – the 90th Anniversary of the end of the war. The storyboard will be made here in America, shipped overseas and then put in place and maintained by the French. It will be a fitting remembrance to these brave men, and a regular stop on a prime battlefield tour of American World War One sites currently being planned.

The only roadblock at this point is funding of the American half of the project. We are therefore hoping to raise the necessary funds through public conscription. That means all of us. Therefore, please take a few moments and make whatever donation you can, won’t you? Every little bit helps. Maybe you know a business that would be interested in making a donation as well. That would be great! As for myself, I am doing my share too. As well as organizing and running the American side of the Preservation Project, I am also donating more than just my time and efforts. Some will have noticed that Lulu Press, the press service that makes and sells my books, have raised my prices across the board and are no longer offering discounts through their website. While this price re-structuring was out of my hands, I have nevertheless made arrangements to set aside a portion of each sale of one of my books for the Project. Beginning the 1st of April, $10.00 from each sale of ‘Finding the Lost Battalion’, and $7.50 from each sale of ‘Return to the Charlevaux’ will be placed in the Preservation Project fund, along side any donation made through outside contributors. We have a steep hill to climb – estimates are that the whole project will cost right around $3,000.00 and we only have until about September 2008 to get it raised. Following the dedication ceremony in November 2008, a memorial booklet will be put together and sent out to those contributors who gave $100.00 or more, with pictures of the event and a list of contributors, as well as other details of the dedication ceremony. It is a chance for everyone to write themselves into a bit of the history of the Lost Battalion.

Dig deep.

Talk to your family, talk to your friends, talk to your favorite business. If you are a military man, talk to your fellow soldiers or the men under you. Let’s make this happen. Without help this project will flounder, and it needs to happen! Send your donation to the address below, or if you have any questions or want to talk to me direct about the project, feel free to call me at the number listed below as well. I’ll be in contact with regular updates on how we are doing, so let’s launch this project and make sure that these men and their deeds are remembered for future generations of travelers!

With best regards,

Robert J. Laplander

7612 N. Tichigan Rd.

Waterford, WI 53185

Phone: (414) 333-9402

9:00am – 9:00pm Central Time Zone

Yes Albert SUMMER is listed in the Roaster of the Lost Battalion. pg 587

He was the 2nd Battalion scout of the 308th Inf G co.

Unfortunately his first name, Albert, is misspelled for "Alfred" here, as in other publications (Johnson & Fletcher Pratt book)

Teufelhund

Yes Albert SUMMER is listed in the Roaster of the Lost Battalion. pg 587

He was the 2nd Battalion scout of the 308th Inf G co.

Unfortunately his first name, Albert, is misspelled for "Alfred" here, as in other publications (Johnson & Fletcher Pratt book)

Teufelhund

Thank you...

One other incorrect item is he was in "H" Company

Greg

post-118-1198728618.jpg

...If you are a military man, talk to your fellow soldiers or the men under you.

While I applaud his efforts, the UCMJ specifically prohibits superiors soliciting their juniors.

Just sayin'

Chris

• 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I just finished this book and I found it to be excellent. Minor faults IMHO:

It needs better maps; they were difficult to read. Platoon-level maps would be great but probably unworkable.

It would benefit from editing -- many misspellings, awkward phrases, and consistent confusing of the possessive with the plural ("Lieutenant's Smith and Jones made their way to the regimental PC").

But, as said above, this is a great work and a labor of love. It made me want to research the Doughboys in more detail.

Pete