Best Reference Books?

PaulR

What are the recommended reference books for those interested in collecting American Medals? I want more than pretty pictures. I want to know the history of the medal, the possible variations, award criteria, and examples in wear. If possible, even numbers awarded to date.

What do you all recommed?

Start with this book...excellent reference and considered the U.S. Medal "bible."

I concur 100%. There are other books out there, but they shouldn't be on your shelf 'till you've got this one.

Dave

Thanks guys. I literally just ordered and paid for my copy from Roger Bender a few moments ago. It should be here by Saturday.

My main expertise lay in German uniforms and Soviet Orders and medals. Although I have been a member of this site for a while, I am just now getting involved in actively seeking American groupings ( mainly Coast Guard war veterans, from Desert Storm back).

Are there any other detailed books out there?

The Purple Heart: a history of America's oldest military decoration by Borch. (hard to find, out of print.)

The Gleim Medal Letters 1971-1997 from OMSA OMSA

Thanks guys. I literally just ordered and paid for my copy from Roger Bender a few moments ago. It should be here by Saturday.

My main expertise lay in German uniforms and Soviet Orders and medals. Although I have been a member of this site for a while, I am just now getting involved in actively seeking American groupings ( mainly Coast Guard war veterans, from Desert Storm back).

Are there any other detailed books out there?

Hi Paul,

I recognize your name from another forum. I also started with German medal collecting, did a little Soviet and about 2-3 years ago got into US medals, primarily the Purple Heart. The research that can be done on named US medals is fantastic and I don't need a translator to read the service records.

Hi Paul,

I recognize your name from another forum. I also started with German medal collecting, did a little Soviet and about 2-3 years ago got into US medals, primarily the Purple Heart. The research that can be done on named US medals is fantastic and I don't need a translator to read the service records.

I remember you too. Great to see you here! I still very actively collect, research, and even write a few articles on Luftwaffe uniforms and insignia. I have just added some very amazing finds to my collection(see the other forum!). I stopped collecting Soviet stuff in 2001; fortunately, I still have everything. I have some amazing orders and medal groups that I can never see parting with... Remember the days of the 10 dollar Order of the Red Banner and 250 dollar Order of Lenin? I started collecting Soviet things as an E3... now, as an E7, there are items that would be impossible for me to replace, as the prices have gone through the roof. That 10 dollar Order of the Red Banner now fetches 400 dollars and up while the Order of Lenin now goes for over 2000 dollars.

As I pass the 20 year in my military career, I am becoming progressively more interested in the history of the service. While the Coast Guard does have a Historical Staff in DC, the available documtented history and preservation(or even availablity) of relics is very limited. I want to do my part by collecting and safe guarding as many interesting CG groupings as I can. My goal is to find a few really cool and significant CG medal groupings for a focused collection, wtih the intent on donating them on to the Chief Petty Officer Association Museum in Petaluma California when I decide to move them.

Looking through my book shelf, I noticed that I do not have a single book on US Medals, outside of my service's Medals and Awards Manual. I felt that this needed to be corrected.

I have been doing a lot of online searching and came across the book put out by "Medals of America". What are your thoughts on that one? I know that it is super expensive, but is it worth the price? I have no qualms in putting serious money on a reference book if it is a quality work.

Thanks for the heads up on this book, just added it in my Amazon list...because of the title I thought it was going to be impossible to locate!

Leonardo

Call of duty, Bar NONE, is the best one out there. Exactly what you are looking for, not only nice, color pics, but details on the medals themselves as well.

It reads well, too!

Good luck!

I just recently got The Call of Duty as a holiday gift and it has helped my knowledge with this subject grow exponentially.