WW2 USMC field altered kit

1940Desoto

Hey Don,

That would be fantastic mate thankyou...hope the move went smoothly. I like the attachment what book is it from ?

Cheers

Sean

The pix are from a old magazine Called Military Classics 2002 Revenge in the Pacific US Marines from Guadalcanal to Tarawa Don

Know thats what Im talking about...I've saved these to my reference folder thanks buddy...Man I've got to get myself to the States :thumbsup:

Know thats what Im talking about...I've saved these to my reference folder thanks buddy...Man I've got to get myself to the States :thumbsup:

Most all of the pacific gear is hard to find or all gone I owned these since I was 10 or 11 years old I was a military brat. my wife of 50 years 4 months says I never grew up. Don

"my wife of 50 years 4 months says I never grew up."Don

Hey wow mine says that aswell...alot actually :lol: with all due respects that is why you and i are still married mate...no 'chck' likes crusty old boring dudes :w00t: :w00t:

Most all of the pacific gear is hard to find or all gone I owned these since I was 10 or 11 years old I was a military brat. my wife of 50 years 4 months says I never grew up. Don

Wow Don I want to be just like you when I don't grow up.... :thumbsup:

Sorry to be out of topic, but since five years I'm trying to know more about a very scarce M1916 holster (only three of them among collectors active in several forums). It's australian made by G.P.&S. (I've found only they made leather gaitors in 1920s) under US contract (there is teh big US on the flap) and it was inspected by aussie inspector 8broad arrow and capital letter). For sure it was made at very first 1942 when GIs in PTO were very poorly equipped and govt ordered a lot of equipment locally (I have also an US leather machete sheath made in dutch india). Due its near cordovan color I doubt it could be an USMC contract. Any clue?

post-67-1327392501.jpg

Artu44,

Very interesting mate...I believe this holster was last discussed in 2006 (?) in relation to an Aussie made lend lease TSMG pouch leading to a great discussion on Aussie inspectors marks. I will see what i can find out...I collected Aussie made leather equipment for years, off the top of my head I cannot recall a G.P & S. Did you find out what the companies initial are I would guess the & S is and son(s) but what of the G.P ? This my friend is a great challenge.

Cheers

Sean

Thanks Sean. I'd like to know the spelled name of the company (of course S stands per Son). I searched through dozens of google pages just to find only an auction where they are selling those GPS gaitors dated 1922. You can find it easily on Google thans to my previouis researches as well my posts on aussie forums. Just google G.P.&S.

After some preliminary enquiries, the initial response has been the same as mine, we do not recall the manufacturer name G.P&S in relation to Australian equipment. However it is agreed that for this company to have a Government Inspector on staff then G.P&S must be a legitimate manufacturer of Government equipment, the actual identity of this company cannot be ascertained at present. We will however do our utmost to 'nut this one out'.

This now leads me to my next point, given that this has not been conducted before I will commence researching Australian made WW2 US (USMC) equipment under US Govt contract. It would appear at first glance that no indepth research has been conducted in this area in Australia at this point.

I will post an outline of this pending research soon.

Cheers

Sean

Sorry to be out of topic, but since five years I'm trying to know more about a very scarce M1916 holster (only three of them among collectors active in several forums). It's australian made by G.P.&S. (I've found only they made leather gaitors in 1920s) under US contract (there is teh big US on the flap) and it was inspected by aussie inspector 8broad arrow and capital letter). For sure it was made at very first 1942 when GIs in PTO were very poorly equipped and govt ordered a lot of equipment locally (I have also an US leather machete sheath made in dutch india). Due its near cordovan color I doubt it could be an USMC contract. Any clue?

That's a neat holster Artu. I've never seen one of those. What would one in the condition of yours be valued?

Thanks.

Ronnie

Hey wow mine says that aswell...alot actually :lol: with all due respects that is why you and i are still married mate...no 'chck' likes crusty old boring dudes :w00t: :w00t:

You "never-grow-up" guys sure make me feel better about myself...we need to start an online support group :wacko::lol:

Believe it or not, the vast majority of gals I've known seem to think this stuff is really cool!

DeSoto:

I'm not trying to hijack your thread with a Helmet picture, but this is the only photo I have of this B.A.R. Pouch (Dang!! :pinch:), which was modified similarly to yours- complete with Marine-specific belt hooks. The guy's initials and surname are stenciled on it as well in the typical Marine Corps style. More pics to come...

post-3226-1327025736.jpeg

Ooooooo...i love seeing those old early USMC mosquito helmet covers!!!!!!......mike :thumbsup:

Ooooooo...i love seeing those old early USMC mosquito helmet covers!!!!!!......mike :thumbsup:

LOL- Thanks! They really stand out from the newer production specimens; it's only been in pretty recent years that folks have found out that there even was a "1st type" of these.