Cupola Turret beach defense site on Oahu

vostoktrading

vostoktrading

A while back I showed some photos of the relics fronting the US Army Museum at Fort DeRussy in Waikiki on the island of Oahu in the Hawaiian Islands.

One of these things was an un-planted defensive turret. I assumed all of them were removed after the war.

Recently I was on a training mission to the Chevron Refinery on the extreme south-west corner of Oahu. Low and behold near the front gate to the refinery is this old turret planted in the ground! Of course it is no longer in use (although I was impressed with Chevron's security measures). I'm guessing this cupola was here from the war and Chevron came after. This area used to be mainly scrub brush and uninhabited.

The following pictures are the cupola in front of the Army Museum (recently painted an unlikely color).

Jon.

post-7885-1326946017.jpg

post-7885-1326946030.jpg

How about that? It makes you wonder how many of them are still around.

We left Hawaii back in 1988, but if you knew where to look, there were all kind of remnants of the WWII era. I don't know if they were still there, but the old officer's quarters on the beach at Ft. Kamehameha were still there with big, wide porches. They looked like something off of a Hawaii sugar plantation. And even though they were technically on Hickam AFB, I believe the Army retained control of them for Field Grade officer quarters.

• 1 year later...
Kaneoheboy

The steel pillbox on the grounds of the Chevron Refinery was part of the defenses of Camp Malakole, a WWII AAA training camp.

The example pictured was found on Paakea Road outside the perimeter fence of the Lualualei Naval Radio Station.

The example lying on its cupola was found at Dillingham Miitary Reservation in 2001, part of the Mokuleia Airfield/Dillingham Field defenses. Object was moved to an unknown location.

Kaneoheboy

post-11381-0-81597800-1373326511.jpg

post-11381-0-64671900-1373326654.jpg

• 3 months later...

When I lived in Hawaii in the late 60's (as a child) the war was still very much in evidence. Buildings on Hickam still had bullet holes in them. We lived in Navy housing on a small peninsula that juts into Pearl Harbor. A short walk from my front door and I could see the Arizona Memorial and the crane that can be seen in the background of the famous picture of the Shaw on fire. Looking back, it was a great place to be a kid and I'm sure it shaped who I am today.

The main HQ building at Hickam still was pockmarked with bullet holes in the mid 1980's. I assume it has been maintained that was as a reminder to remain vigilent even when stationed in the middle of Paradise.

I was in the building one night for an education event. I was surprised to find a bullet hole far inside of the building in the framework of a steel staircase.

The building was the former enlisted barracks, the same one you see burning with the iconic photo of the torn US flag the morning after.

Backtheattack

Very interesting. Never seen this before. It`s different to the types used from the German forces in Normandy or at the field in the Reich.