Unfinished Emblems

Brig

Picked this up at a flea market for a buck. Same dimensions as the collar emblem, kind of shiny finish. However, the back has no pins or posts, and only a bit of sodder on the back of the bird. Was wondering if this is an unfinished example, part of a sweetheart piece, or something reproduced for use completely post war (like a picture frame or other moto item as bought from Sgt Grit). Has a pierced anchor

EGA_SW_Front.JPG

EGA_SW_Rear.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Tim,

Sometimes, these emblems that have never had screwposts or clutch studs come along. Because yours and my silver emblem with gold continents and anchor emblem are port side emblems, maybe they were sweetheart or attached to something? I haven't figured that one out yet. I haven't encountered any sweetheart or manufactured knick-knacks with actual regulation size emblems on them, so they are pretty much of a mystery.

I do have a starboard side bird that has never had a screwpost applied, so one would think it should have ended up as a collar emblem. Who knows? I would guess maybe just unfinished emblems that someone snuck home from the factory? The only reason I kept the two I have is because they have the rather scarce tall legged, bold eagles that are always attributed and connected to early WWII Marines.

s/f, Gary

post-84-1198736344.jpg

post-84-1198736361.jpg

I ran into an M37 H&H cover emblem at the show last weekend that was also without a trace of ever having a screwpiece, which leads me to think factory unfinished... think.gif

teufelhunde.ret

Tim, I suspect you and Gary are dead on target. Easy to presume these type of unfinished emblems escaped the factory floor before they could be finished. Here are some parts that someone decided to take home a souvenir. Rest of photos are located here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=8441

post_376_1186251786.jpg

Tim, I suspect you and Gary are dead on target. Easy to presume these type of unfinished emblems escaped the factory floor before they could be finished. Here are some parts that someone decided to take home a souvenir. Rest of photos are located here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=8441

Darrell,

I just love those unfinished emblems! Couldn't remember if they belonged to you or Bob, so didn't mention them last night. Never get tired of looking at them!

I acquired some unfinished Tracer and AP bullets and cases from the Denver Arsenal that a lady here brought home as souvenirs during the war. My grandmother did the same thing with radio crystals she had the job of grinding, so why not EGA's? The only logical explanation for these unfinished emblems that I can think of would be "pocket souvenirs" from work?

s/f, Gary

• 4 months later...

Here's another one I recently added to the collection. I love these interesting pieces...

Unfinished_Front.JPG

Unfinished_Rear.JPG

teufelhunde.ret

What an interesting find! No doubt a keeper and wonderful conversation piece. BTW, it has all the right appearence of the hallmarked H&H emblems from the period.

• 3 months later...

here's an interesting piece. an enlisted 1916 model, that had the head and part of teh anchor ring cut off when machine stamped. Upon inspection, it was probably taken home as a souveneir rather than being discarded...very interesting addition I just got in for about ten bucks

Unfinished_1916_Front.JPG

Unfinished_1916_Rear.JPG

teufelhunde.ret

Undoubtedly a most interesting piece. One can wonder for what reason and or why this piece exists? Conventional emblems of the WW1 period were die stamped and show the distinct extrusion and file marks marks along the various edges of the emblem to give it a finished appearance. This shows all sign of what is a stamped piece, but, certainly this could not have been considered a piece ready for finishing? There is just to much area that would need to be removed and require lots of time to "hand finish"? Perhaps a test strike of a new die? Perhaps some sort of jobbers sample? Certainly a very interesting conversation piece for EGA collectors! s/f Darrell

perhaps it was intended to see if the machine was lined up after being set up, and, obviously, it was not on this particular strike

• 7 months later...

another one of these bold, unmarked post-WWII H&H enlisted pieces that never had a screwpost. Similar to the ones Gary posted. nice example

Unfinished_Bold_Front.JPG

Unfinished_Bold_Rear.JPG

teufelhunde.ret

You know - when I see these... I am beginning to suspect many were sold for sweetheart pins, lighters and such?

• 10 months later...

I find this topic to be very interesting. sadly there's not much to add to it. However, I was fortunate enough to stumble upon this unfinished enlisted M-20 cover emblem, similar unfinished to the M-18 posted above. this one, however, is stamped correctly...

unfin_m20_1.JPG

unfin_m20_2.JPG

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

these modern unfinished strikes brought a surprising $60...the most I've seen for these types of oddities...I didn't win unfortunately due to other committments

_Bz2nszwBGk___KGrHqV__g8Ew4_4hJuBBM_zCwq4kw___3.jpg

_Bz2nt8g_mk___KGrHqZ__i_Ew4_7EmPvBM_zC1Wykg___3.jpg

• 10 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Been years since I picked up an unfinished emblem. Picked this one up a few months ago, later realized it to likely be by Tiffany's & Co. That fact sure made my wife look twice

100_9201.JPG

100_9202.JPG

• 1 month later...

Been years since I picked up an unfinished emblem. Picked this one up a few months ago, later realized it to likely be by Tiffany's & Co. That fact sure made my wife look twice

Brig,

As I mentioned in Eric Queen's post of his father's EGAs, this is an exact match to my two Tiffany emblems.

Mike

Brig,

As I mentioned in Eric Queen's post of his father's EGAs, this is an exact match to my two Tiffany emblems.

Mike

That's where I made the connection eventually...I had overlooked the reply at first and later looked into your old topic on the Tiffanys emblems