You were where!?

gunbarrel

post-70-1326854330.jpg

I ran into an old boss today. As a matter of fact, he's the one that hired me when I was 20 years old to work for the company where I still work 37 years later. We chatted and reminisced and then, as we were ready to part, he put on his WV ball cap. That's when I saw it. In all the years I've known him, he never spoke of being in the military.

I asked somewhat incredulous "Mark...is that a medic badge??" He took off his cap, looked at it and said softly "Yes, it's a Combat Medic Badge" as I noticed the second award star on top of it. "Where did you serve in the military?" I asked. "Omaha Beach to Berlin" he replied. My jaw dropped. I mumbled that I didn't think he was old enough to be in WWII. He laughed and said "Too young!?" I'll be 88 next month. I could not believe it. He looks 10 years younger. As I eyed some of the other ribbons he pointed at one and I think he said it was a commemorative Battle of the Bulge ribbon. I was still stunned and I said "I heard it was very cold." Immediately I thought "That was a dumb comment." He chuckled and said "Like you wouldn't believe! That's the place where I almost got it. Artillery round hit a foxhole near mine." "It wasn't your time…" I replied. After a moment of silence where he seemed to be 68 years away we shook hands and said goodbye.

I must get with him again...soon.

get as many stories as you can.

i had a great friend. Father of a co-worker. Hunted a lot with him. Never said much about his service until my son went Airborne. Then it came out he was 101st from Market Garden, Bulge to Eagles nest. Then his health and mind was slipping and I missed out on my chance to really set down with him before he died

• 2 months later...
airborne1968
post-70-1326854330.jpg

I ran into an old boss today. As a matter of fact, he's the one that hired me when I was 20 years old to work for the company where I still work 37 years later. We chatted and reminisced and then, as we were ready to part, he put on his WV ball cap. That's when I saw it. In all the years I've known him, he never spoke of being in the military.

I asked somewhat incredulous "Mark...is that a medic badge??" He took off his cap, looked at it and said softly "Yes, it's a Combat Medic Badge" as I noticed the second award star on top of it. "Where did you serve in the military?" I asked. "Omaha Beach to Berlin" he replied. My jaw dropped. I mumbled that I didn't think he was old enough to be in WWII. He laughed and said "Too young!?" I'll be 88 next month. I could not believe it. He looks 10 years younger. As I eyed some of the other ribbons he pointed at one and I think he said it was a commemorative Battle of the Bulge ribbon. I was still stunned and I said "I heard it was very cold." Immediately I thought "That was a dumb comment." He chuckled and said "Like you wouldn't believe! That's the place where I almost got it. Artillery round hit a foxhole near mine." "It wasn't your time…" I replied. After a moment of silence where he seemed to be 68 years away we shook hands and said goodbye.

I must get with him again...soon.

So, what was the star for?

bunkerhillburning

20 years ago I hoped into a cab and got to talking with the driver. Somehow along the way we started talking about his generation and the war. Turns out he was in a branch that was not intended for combat and was pressed into action during the Battle of the Bulge ( I so wish I could recall what division he served with ). One of the first things he said ' it was so G-d damned cold! You couldn't imagine '. The entire time we talked I was looking at him through his reflection in the rear view mirror.

We got to my stop but kept on talking awhile and when he turned around to look at me the poor fellows face was riddled with scars which he promptly told me were from the war. I suspect he mentioned it due to my immediate reaction at seeing him face to face. I think my eyes widened a bit.

Really should have given him my number and asked him to have a drink with me or just a coffee. Being able to spend any time with these men is an honor and sadly the opportunity is slipping away rapidly.

• 2 years later...

I once met a vet who actually was too young. Back in 1998 I met a vet who was wearing a WWII SEABEES baseball cap and I mentioned that he looked very young to be a WWII vet. His reply was, " I am young, I lied about my age and Joined up when I was 14 years old." That is why they are called the "GREATEST GENERATION."

It's sad to think these folks will all be gone before to long. I was born in the early 50's and I think there were still Civil War veterans alive. They must have been older than dirt then ( no offense ) and kids during the Civil War. The WW2 vets are like national monuments or battlefields - you just sort of stare at them in awe.

• 2 months later...
rice paddy daddy

I used to sit before our VFW post meetings began and pass the time with a quiet gentleman. Maynard never spoke much but I enjoyed just sitting with him and having coffee. Both his feet were frost bitten at the Bulge.

He died in '07, and I place a flag at his grave in our small town cemetery each Memorial Day.

I miss Maynard.