Creating Mud Effects with Pigments

Proud Kraut

I found it easy to create these effects with pigments. Pigments for modeller's purpose are offered by many suppliers today. Pigments offered especially for modelling are significant more expensive than those offered as „art materials“. I bought this set of 13 colors for 10,- Euros online. With these colors, I'm able to mix most of the dust, rust and mud colors needed for modeling.

mud1.jpg

Okay I spent a little money for a pigment fixer by MIG. As far as I have seen one can also use terpentine or matt varnish. Additionally we need some old brushes and the usual guinea pig tank.

mud3.jpg

I use a dry brush for the first step. I touch the brush until the pigments cover the selected areas of the chassis. I use at least 4 different colors but 2 or 3 will do as well.

mud4.jpg

For the next step I use a soft brush now. I let the fixer drop on the pigments. That has to be done carefully to avoid washing away the pigments.

Dry mud should have a lighter color. Choose the areas of the chassis that are in permanent contact with the gound more likely for the darker wet mud.

mud7a.jpg

No need to say, that we should use the same pigments/colors for the base of our dio. Additionally hull and turret of the tank should look dirty as well.

mud9e.jpg

great job, Lars! Nothing says "AFV" like having a bunch of mud all over the running gear and such. I also agree on your statement regarding the expense of MIG products. I always find it cheaper and just as effective to buy the art-style pigments or chalks and custom mix the colors. Much more affordable!

I really enjoy your step by step posts on modeling topics.

Thanks for your well done post :thumbsup:

Terry

Excellent presentation and end result Lars! :thumbsup:

I agree! This is an excellent tutorial! Thanks so much for taking the time to show us.

....Kat

Very informative topic and a very nice way to explain it as well.

How would you reproduce heavy mud if I may ask?

Just add more pigment (layer over layer)?

Erwin

Dont forget to get some "Weight" on those tracks. The are very heavy and always appear to "FLOAT" on models. I use piano wire drilled into the lower hull. Let them stick out onto the tracks about half way. Set them between the boggies.

Looks great though.

Very informative topic and a very nice way to explain it as well.

How would you reproduce heavy mud if I may ask?

Just add more pigment (layer over layer)?

Erwin

In keeping with the theme of this thread, I would think that heavier mud could be built up with pigments however that might be a serious waste of pigment. There is a material called Celluclay that you can get at hobby stores like Hobby Lobby or Michaels... you mix it up with water and use it for heavier mud, then layer the pigments over the top of that, saving your pigments. I've heard of drywall spackle being used as well. Whatever you do, stay away from using modelling putties such as Squadron green or white putty and the testors putty, as these contain Toluene, a solvent that will attack and soften the plastic. These products are good for filling small gaps, but will destroy a model if used in larger quantities.

Wayne

Thanks for looking!

Thanks for posting your methods and the great example of your work! You have great talent and an eye for detail.