WW2 Vintage M3 from Afghanistan!

M3 Greaser found in Afghanistan

Having seen insurgents in Libya with MP38's it should be no surprise that all kinds of weird and wonderful antique weapon items have come to light in Afghanistan.

Above is the result of a "typical" sweep of a compound by UK forces. I wonder what else is left out there?

Best,

Simon

WW2 Battlefield Relics Virtual Museum:

Found this pic online....STG 44 from Iraq. So there is no telling what all is floating around out there. It might have come from the gun shops across the border in Pakistan. I hear those guys can turn out any type of firearm, Granted I dont think you'd want to shoot one.

post-5684-1326856167.jpg

I have a buddy who had to blow in a cave in Afghanistan that contained "a bunch" of BARs.... :crying:

He hated doing it as he new very well what they were.

Always Jeepin'

'42 GPW "The Big Moose"

Interested in USMC items WW2-Vietnam and WW2 USAAF items.

Lots of STG 44 in Iraq in 2003-2004, they werent copies and ranged from new looking to beat to hell and back. We had an S-2 container filled with captured weapons in 04-05. Besides the usual AK and SKS, PPsh-41

P-14's

SMLE

No.4's

Kar98K's

Gew98's

Mausers of various makes Turkish, Czech, FN, Israeli

a Silenced Austrian M1895 converted to 8mm Mauser. Barrel replaced with full length tube and effective.

a Silenced chopped Walther P-38

Browning Hi Powers

M1911A1's

Steckhins

Makarovs

Tokarevs including a 9 shot Hungarian version

Tokagypts

Beretta M51's

Webleys

Llama 1911A1 clones

Stens Mk II/III/V

Sterlings

Thompson M1A1

Beretta M42

Brens

an MG-42 & MG-34

FAL's

G-3's Shah markings and Revolutionary

Mp-5's of various models

Italian Lever action Winchester copies

It is actually an M3A1 which only saw limited production from Guide near the end of WW2, but were manufactured by Ithaca in time for the KW....

They were carried by US tank crews well into the 90 I believe...

When I was stationed in Korea my infantry unit was attached to the 72nd Armor Regiment. And as of 1996-97 the tankers still used the Grease Gun.

In memory of.....
SSG Jarred S Fontenot US Army KIA Baghdad, Iraq 10-18-07 RIP my friend-Charlie Three Three Delta Out

donation2008.gif
donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

My son was in a Marine MiTT team, that made a lot of searches in homes and elsewhere in Iraq. He found many of the firearms mentioned by 'Linedoggie' above. He regretfully had to take the Mausers and Enfields (the most common ones they found), and wrap them around a tree. He once found an M3 Greasegun wrapped up and hidden along the banks of the Euphrates river, and he tried to get it to work again, but it was too rusted,and he couldn't get the bolt back. He wanted it to carry in the turret of their Humvee-they needed a short weapon they could use if someone got too close to their vehicle (the turret gun couldn't depress enough). One of the other vehicles had a captured Sten gun in the turret.

What's the rule regarding bring back of weapons from Afghanistan? I could understand them not being allowed to bring back full autos, but what about bolt-action rifles and handguns?

Looking for any WWII 104th "Timberwolf" Division items.

Including items from the 413th, 414th, and 415th Infantry Regiments 104th Recon Troop, 329th Engineer Battalion, 329th Medical Battalion

385th, 386th, 387th, and 929th Field Artillery Battalions 804th Ordnance Company 104th Quartermaster Company 104th Signal Company

555th Anti-Aircraft Battalion, 750th Tank Battalion 692nd Tank Destroyer Battalion 817th Tank Destroyer Battalion

donation2014.gif

7-8 years ago you could jump through a ton of hoops for bolt actions or pistols (I believe,) I don't know anyone that actually managed to make their way through the red-tape. I know units can bring back captures, but they remain government property. I dont think there's any legitimate way for someone to bring a personal "capture piece" home.

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

In Iraq in 2007-2009 I used to fly into a FOB that the TOC had a weapons display. It had everything from SMLE to Russian stuff. It was amazing Im sure when we left a tank ran over them, lol

Brandon

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

I was told by vet who was in Afghanistan from the beginning that there were Taliban caves filled with UNUSED, MINT condition WW2 arms that were supplied to the Mujahideen during the Russian invasion in 1980. Lots of US rifles and submachine guns(including M3s), carbines, etc as well as weapons from European nations. Many of these were found, intact during the early days of the Afgan occupation and were blown up by US troops. The reason that the guns were in great condition is that while they got lots of weapons, they got NO AMMO! They couldn't afford to buy any, so the guns were useless to the Afgahnis , so they were just stored in caves. From what I was told that there were large amounts of German WW2 arms there including K98s, MP40s and MG 42s!, but again NO AMMO. Of course NOTHING was allowed to be brought back to the USA and it was all destroyed! :(

I was told by vet who was in Afghanistan from the beginning that there were Taliban caves filled with UNUSED, MINT condition WW2 arms ......

Hehe...... a pal of mine is a former Soviet Spetsnaz soldier that served in AFG during their visit there. He told me of searching caves and finding neatly folded stacks of red Brit uniforms in new condition.....many an army has left their trace in that place.

donation2012.gif

• 5 weeks later...

Here's the M3a1 that was in our conference room over there the past year.
post-9906-0-43679000-1445725126.jpg

post-9906-0-35996300-1445725142.jpg

post-9906-0-19206100-1445725157.jpg

post-9906-0-53447000-1445725174.jpg

No one could confirm just how long ago it had been captured; there were also numerous AK's, and naturally two wartime DP28s. I believe I've read somewhere that the M3 was an initial issue early on to the ANP.

Hehe...... a pal of mine is a former Soviet Spetsnaz soldier that served in AFG during their visit there. He told me of searching caves and finding neatly folded stacks of red Brit uniforms in new condition.....many an army has left their trace in that place.

I have a Mark II Martini-Henry (think ZULU!) that my son brought back from Afghanistan in 2003. It was made in 1876, and he told me they were allowed to bring back any antique rifle such as the Martini-Henry, but no modern weapons or any weapon that could fire ammunition that was still in production. He said there was an immaculate Lee-Enfield dated 1903, with the volley sights, that they had to leave behind because it fired .303 ammo that is still produced. I'm sure the same restrictions apply to any US arms that are found by troops there.

Just to add, it's not a Khyber Pass rifle, although it had some locally made internal parts.

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.