APH-5 Vietnam Pilots Helmet.

AAF_Collection

AAF_Collection

I bought this several years ago but moved house shortly afterwards and it went into store. I finally opened the box yesterday and found some mold and verdigris :( strange as no other items have suffered any problems. Anyway I thought I'd share some pics before doing some careful cleaning. I have no further information on the owner and have not yet attempted any research.

Matt.

SDC14759.jpg

SDC14760.jpg

SDC14761.jpg

SDC14762.jpg

SDC14764.jpg

SDC14763.jpg

SDC14765.jpg

SDC14767.jpg

AAF_Collection

Glad you like it Ian! several years back I had a phase of collecting VN era army aviation items,as time allows I'll post pics of some other items. The helmet has it's original bag which I'll add pics of later.

Matt.

Glad you like it Ian! several years back I had a phase of collecting VN era army aviation items,as time allows I'll post pics of some other items. The helmet has it's original bag which I'll add pics of later.

Matt.

I have several uniforms...nomex flight suit...fatigues...Class As..of a highly decorated VN war 101st Cobra gunship pilot. I don't have his helmet though!

AAF_Collection

Thanks Jon,that could very well be the guy as the helmet bag has a 1st Cav patch on it(I will post pics). Included in the bag is a broken rudder pedal marked Hughes,so I'm guessing from an OH-6A. The pedal still has traces of red mud on it!. Would the 229th have operated Loaches?.

Ian,it sounds like we share the same diverse collecting interests!.

Matt.

AAF_Collection

The helmet bag

SDC14775.jpg

Patch detail. all are machine sewn onto the bag,no idea why the jump and rigger wings are there.

SDC14773.jpg

1st Cav.patch detail

SDC14772.jpg

Name tape and wings

SDC14771.jpg

Rudder pedal found in one of the bags inside pockets

SDC14770.jpg

That's a great helmet! I noticed what looks like an amp on the microphone. I always thought these were more of a Navy thing. Never saw one on a Army Helicopter helmet before. Any of you guys have any thoughts?.....Tom.

Amp is not used in an Army helo. Someone probably used that helmet in civi helos afterwards. The headset cord plug looks different too. I never understood why the Army and Air Force used different helmet comm setups than the Navy/Marines.

I have my fathers APH-5 from flight school, its the same 68 contract as this one.

That's a great helmet! I noticed what looks like an amp on the microphone. I always thought these were more of a Navy thing. Never saw one on a Army Helicopter helmet before. Any of you guys have any thoughts?.....Tom.

I think it's completely awesome! I'd LOVE to have it with my little growing Vietnam helmet collection.

Congratulation with a killer helmet like that one!

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Late to the topic, The boom mike would be correct for 65-mis 67 when we received the 'mickey mouse eared SPH 6's with the articulated mikes. Never saw an amp on them. Also never saw those helmet bags in use, we were issued ones that were helmet shaped with a rigid bottom, much like a bowling ball bag. Also the 229th did not use the OH-6. The 4 companies consisted of three Huey slick companies and one gunship company.. HQ had LOH's as did 1/9th Cav. I flew with the 229th in 1967.