M18 Smoke Grenade YELLOW

Peace

Hi all,

found this. Have absolutely no idea what it is, or if its even a smoke grenade body.

Can anybody help?

post-132-1326659619.jpg

Thanks,

Stijn

Nevermind the ID. I noticed markings, while taking a good look at it with decent lighting.

Not all markings are there, but by aid of some water, I could make out; M18, SMOKE, YELLOW, and some other undefined markings. There also used to be a colored band around the body, but only a small shadow of this remains.

So this would make it a yellow M18 smoke grenade!

Regards,

Stijn

Checking my documentation & browsing the web produced a lot of examples of M18 smoke grenades in all colors available, yet none date back to WW2.

These did however exist in WW2; as referred to in FM23-30: 'Hand And Rifle Grenades Rocket, AT, HE, 2.36-Inch'. (mine being dated feb 14, 1944)

page 10;

"COLORED SMOKE HAND GRENADE M18 OR M16

This grenade is similar in size and shape to the irritant gas hand grenade CN-DM M6. It is equipped with the M200A1 igniting fuze with 2-second delay. Seven colors of smoke (red, orange, blue, green, black, violet, and yellow) are available. The mixture in the M18 grenade burns for 1 minute and in the M16 (limited standard) grenade the mixture burns for 2 1/2 minutes."

It would seem that the actual construction of the WW2 M18 grenades differs from the construction of those manufactured AFTER WW2 (vietnam era,etc..)

Does anybody have an example of WW2, or even a detailed picture of one?

I'd like that very much, as it would aid in the restoration of the one I have right now.

Regards,

Stijn

Thats a late style smoke body. Up to around 1984 smoke canisters had a seperate bottom to the canisters then we started getting those in the pic.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a free bump to your thread.

I think there may be a grand total of 1 thread on the board that seems to show a genuine WWII issue smoke grenade. For an item that I assume would be a fairly common accessory during the war (or not), you think there would be a few more pictures of an M16/M18 grenade out there somewhere.

I would love to add one to the collection some day, but if it's this hard to find a picture, it's proving even harder to find a real one! :think:

Here's a live AN-M8 White Smoke from WW2. The M18 would look pretty much the same.

Of course you would have one in that collection of yours! :lol:

That's great, Robin, thanks for sharing!