9 Pocket USMC EGA Rifle Belt

JimD

I traded into this cartridge belt which I believe is a 9 pocket USMC rifle belt which preceded the 10 pocket belt prior to WWI. It has EGA snaps and is marked MILLS on the reverse. My question is, how rare is this belt and what is a ballpark value? I know it is not too common but I am not really a gear guy so I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks.

post-2661-1326589680.jpg post-2661-1326589615.jpg

post-2661-1326589689.jpg

I traded into this cartridge belt which I believe is a 9 pocket USMC rifle belt which preceded the 10 pocket belt prior to WWI. It has EGA snaps and is marked MILLS on the reverse. My question is, how rare is this belt and what is a ballpark value? I know it is not too common but I am not really a gear guy so I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks.

post-2661-1326589680.jpg post-2661-1326589615.jpg

post-2661-1326589689.jpg

I have a good home for it if it needs one. :)

Very nice belt!

Early USMC web gear is very hard to come by, how did you find it?

A local collector had it and I traded a modern firearm for the belt and a M1832 Foot Artillery Sword.

As a collector of items with great historical value I would say you have done very well for yourself...I would love to see the sword if possible.

Congrats

Sean

These are, as everyone has explained, difficult to locate. Very desirable piece of early USMC field gear. They, at least in my experience, are not quite as difficult to come by as the later M1910 ten pocket Eagle/anchor snap belt. The last one I saw went into a bid war and generated a new precedence in price at about 800 if memory serves me correctly. The last 10 pocket went through the roof 2 months ago. I have seen a drastic reduction in these eagle/anchor items becoming available in the last decade . I recall seeing about 2-3 a year pop up, and now they just don't show up anymore so not a bad investment if you want to use as trade bait or sell it and toss it into something else. I think you have acquired a very nice, very sought after item that I know as a Marine collector are an essential part of the field gear display for the early pre WWI displays. I It's believed by some that these did see limited use in WWI by the Marines. I have not seen any evidence but given the logistical dilemma of supplying an exponentially growing Marine Corps even before the summer of 1917 when the first detachment of the 5th sailed, I would not be surprised if they were used. I hope this helps and congrads on a fantastic item.

Semper Fi,

Kevin