USAF A37 Firefly Patch

KurtA

I picked this up this morning. The patch appears SE Asian-made. I'm trying to determine what "HO-CAP" refers to. Does anyone know?

Thanks

Kurt

post-322-1326575542.jpg

I've got doubts about it as well.

Fully embroidered patches were less common for the Vietnamese military, although you did see some worn by the VNAF.

That said, I've seen that backing material on a number of recent reproductions. The embroidery is thick compared to wartime examples wihich typically had thinner thread which produced a finer level of detail.

The overall shape is mishapen, and the design elements of the patch don't line up either. This is typical of current reproductions.

According to Cecil Smyth's reference on the VNAF, there were several squadrons that used this design with the A-37. "Ho Cap" was used by the 528th Fighter Squadron. Howver the example shown in Cecil's book would have a white background with a black border.

Cecil translated "Ho Cap" to be "Scorpion". The on line translation programs come out a little differently, but that might be correct. Cecil served in Vietnam, so we'll assume he's got it right for now.

Cecil translated "Ho Cap" to be "Scorpion". The on line translation programs come out a little differently, but that might be correct. Cecil served in Vietnam, so we'll assume he's got it right for now.

Yes, We have a beautiful bullion RF patch (probably pre to early-US involvement) with the unit designation, a scorpion, and Ho Cap.

Cecil does say Ho Cap means Scorpion in his books. Here are three patches that not only say Ho Cap, but also have the scorpion. The bottom is VNAF, top two are ARVN Regional Forces. The bullion one may not be real, but we have had it forever and it does have some age on it. Still a pretty patch, in my opinion.

post-2063-1326633242.jpg

TrenchfootJoe66
Cecil does say Ho Cap means Scorpion in his books. Here are three patches that not only say Ho Cap, but also have the scorpion. The bottom is VNAF, top two are ARVN Regional Forces. The bullion one may not be real, but we have had it forever and it does have some age on it. Still a pretty patch, in my opinion.

Nice VNAF stuff H. There used to be a former VNAF A-37 pilot who owned a store deep in the ghetto here in Richmond. I saw a picture of him on the wall in the store and asked him all about it. Later I gave him one of those repro, machine embroidered on white twill, A-37 patches. The guy survived the war but has been shot twice since he bought the store. Crazy world.

• 4 years later...
Patchcollector

I believe that the OP patch could be authentic.It is for the VNAF 528th FS.US Advisors also wore some of these A-37 patches.

Here are some images I saved from an eBay auction of a similar piece.The seller has been offering VN War era theatre made patches from an extensive collection for some time.

post-13386-0-47499500-1476140277_thumb.jpg

post-13386-0-48419600-1476140282_thumb.jpg