Okay,...now we're thinking outside the box!!!

ww2imp

We are proud to introduce a new item to our line of quality replica uniforms...

WWIusmcwinter1x.JPG

We are in early production stages are now taking reservations for an exciting limited production run of our new WWI era USMC Winter Service Uniforms, as worn by Devil Dog Marines in the trenches. We will also eventually offer summer cotton uniforms well. We are starting on the winter uniforms first.

If you would like to find out more information please check out our WWI USMC page at...

http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/wwiusmc.html

To top off this impression will also be offering appropriate 5-row stitched campaign hats, and the M1910 canvas leggings. Appropriate shoes for this impression are the Cordovan Shoes which can be viewed here...

http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/newusmccordovan.html

Thank you for your consideration.

Keep in mind that the service hats ("campaign" hats) with the 5 rows of brim stitching are the Army hats, not the USMC hats. The USMC P1912 Service Hat had a rolled (folded) brim with 2 rows of stitches. It is also distinguished from the Army hat by only having three vent grommets. In common with the early Army M1910 hats, the P1912 hat had no grommets in the brim for a chin strap. I couldn't find a really good reference on this forum, but here's a link that does a good job describing the different service hats:

http://www.worldwar1.com/dbc/camph.htm

A good quality repro of the P1912 hat would be welcome, and would be good for impressions ranging from Banana Wars through Vera Cruz to WWI. The uniforms look great, and will be super for an early AEF Marine impression.

The product looks amazing, no question, but I was under the impression that most Marines wore Army uniforms with USMC insignia when actually in the trenches. I was with 3rd BDE, 2nd ID in modern times and we had the lineage of the bridage the USMC was with in WW1. There were lots of photos of Army/Marine doughboys in the trenches (in fairness, probably well into 1918) and not one USMC uniform could be found in a lot of pictures. We spotted some Marine insignia but no uniforms...

Not to poo-poo the idea or the product, I just wonder how common they really were in the trenches.

This seems to be a confusing subject. My understanding is that Marines shipped out to France in 1917 wearing the forest green uniform. Because of supply and logistic problems, Pershing directed that US Marines would be re-supplied with Army OD uniforms. As Marines wore their uniforms out, they were issued Army uniforms. Newly arriving replacements were wearing forest green. Early in 1918, and up through Belleau Woods, I'm sure that there was a mix of OD and FG in line units. By the fall offensives, most Marines were in OD, aside from replacements. I've seen a number of photos of Marines in the field wearing the FG uniform, but I don't know the dates.

From a REENACTING perspective, what uniform you wear will depend on the scenario, and what the unit leadership decides. Having just jumped into WWI USMC reenacting (78th Co., 6th Marines), I can say that my unit's NCO's were pretty specific as to how many FG uniforms that they wanted in the ranks at the last event. One thing is certain, most everyone will probably want a set of forest green's, in addition to a set of Army OD's, just because they are so distinctively Marine, and they're kinda sexy!

This seems to be a confusing subject. My understanding is that Marines shipped out to France in 1917 wearing the forest green uniform. Because of supply and logistic problems, Pershing directed that US Marines would be re-supplied with Army OD uniforms. As Marines wore their uniforms out, they were issued Army uniforms. Newly arriving replacements were wearing forest green. Early in 1918, and up through Belleau Woods, I'm sure that there was a mix of OD and FG in line units. By the fall offensives, most Marines were in OD, aside from replacements. I've seen a number of photos of Marines in the field wearing the FG uniform, but I don't know the dates.

From a REENACTING perspective, what uniform you wear will depend on the scenario, and what the unit leadership decides. Having just jumped into WWI USMC reenacting (78th Co., 6th Marines), I can say that my unit's NCO's were pretty specific as to how many FG uniforms that they wanted in the ranks at the last event. One thing is certain, most everyone will probably want a set of forest green's, in addition to a set of Army OD's, just because they are so distinctively Marine, and they're kinda sexy!

That makes sense. Probably yet another case where re-enactors want to wear what looks 'cool' v/s what is statistically more common. Just like all the WW2 GI re-enactors who have to wear shoulder patches on everything when the period photos don't support that was all that common.

I'm not questioning that there's a need for the USMC uniforms at all, nor Juan's production of them.

Lee,

I do World War I USMC(I am in the same unit Brian, 78th Co. 6th Marines). I will most probably get one of Juan's Forest Green sets so I can Properly Portray the 78th Co. from January of 1918-May of 1918 when they were in Forrest Green Uniforms. This would be the uniform that one would need to Properly portray a Marine arriving overseas, doing field training at Verdun, and then Post-War in Germany and back in the United States. This would also be the correct uniform for anyone portraying recent replacements to the unit, or greenies.

However when I portray a member of the 78th Co. from May of 1918-November of 1918 I wear an Army M1912 Uniform not a USMC M1917 Uniform. This is because photographs, historic documentation, and first person accounts overwhelmingly show that the Marines were overwhelmingly wearing US Army Uniforms. In fact only a couple items I wear identify me as a marine when I reenact:

The EGA on my Overseas Cap

The USMC Pattern Shirt I occasionally wear(these still pop up being worn with Army Uniforms even at the end of the war)

My M1910 USMC Eagle Snap Cartridge Belt

My P1912 Canteen Cover(War Time Pattern)

My P1912 First Aid Pouch and Navy Contract Carlisle Bandage

My USMC P1915 Pack

My USMC Type M1910 Shovel Cover

My USMC Type Shelter Half

My USMC Type Front and Rear Sight Assemblies on my M1903 Springfield

Otherwise everything else is standard period Army Issue.

I extremely glad Juan is making this reproduction as no one is currently making a good set of the USMC P1917 Uniform. Schipperfabrik's P1917 Uniform material wise is closer in consistency to the war time "rough-cut" P1917s and color wise is just wrong. Luckily Schipperfabrik's M1912 Uniform is decent, with a couple modifications, and Great War Militaries Uniform is good material wise however if you are not "reenactor size" their cut leaves a lot to be desired. However I am worried that there will be hoards of Forrest Green clad Marines instead of 2 or 3 mixed in with a bunch of guys who are, for all practical purposes, indistinguishable from their Regular Army brethren.

-Josh

I extremely glad Juan is making this reproduction as no one is currently making a good set of the USMC P1917 Uniform. Schipperfabrik's P1917 Uniform material wise is closer in consistency to the war time "rough-cut" P1917s and color wise is just wrong. Luckily Schipperfabrik's M1912 Uniform is decent, with a couple modifications, and Great War Militaries Uniform is good material wise however if you are not "reenactor size" their cut leaves a lot to be desired. However I am worried that there will be hoards of Forrest Green clad Marines instead of 2 or 3 mixed in with a bunch of guys who are, for all practical purposes, indistinguishable from their Regular Army brethren.

Josh, your last conecern would mine as well. I agree with everything in your post, as it was for the most part my take on the subject as well.

Again, not slamming anyone and I think Juan is doing a good thing by making these, but like you said, I can see the majority of USMC re-enactors wearing these for scenarios right up to 11-11-18 when the photos of the period mostly support Army uniforms being worn that late.

But I sure can't fault Juan for making these. They look great! :thumbsup:

I hope Juan starts making WW1 Army uniforms as well someday...

However I am worried that there will be hoards of Forrest Green clad Marines instead of 2 or 3 mixed in with a bunch of guys who are, for all practical purposes, indistinguishable from their Regular Army brethren.

-Josh

What he said! I was hoping that you would chime in on this, Josh. You're the man on top of the research.

Josh, your last concern would mine as well. I agree with everything in your post, as it was for the most part my take on the subject as well.

Again, not slamming anyone and I think Juan is doing a good thing by making these, but like you said, I can see the majority of USMC re-enactors wearing these for scenarios right up to 11-11-18 when the photos of the period mostly support Army uniforms being worn that late.

But I sure can't fault Juan for making these. They look great! :thumbsup:

I hope Juan starts making WW1 Army uniforms as well someday...

Lee,

That might happen, however I think it is unlikely. Juan's P1917 uniform will cost about $500. Schipper's M1912 Uniform costs $389.90 and that is for a uniform that is ok but can be improved upon greatly(a package that also includes Shirt, Overseas Cap, Puttees, and Collar Badges cost $425.95). Schipper's P1917 Uniform, which really stinks, is sold only as a set with the Shirt, Overseas Cap, and Puttees and costs $425.95. Luckily it seems the thing that will prevent hordes of people wearing Juan's P1917 Uniform out to Newville will be it's cost compared to Schipper's M1912 Uniform (those who do wear the P1917 uniform already will probably continue to wear Schipper's P1917 Uniform).

I am of the opinion that the P1917 Uniform(along with the Campaign Hat, Cordovan Shoes, Leggings, USMC Poncho, USMC Overcoat, and British Rimless Brodie Helmet) should be one of the last things that one gets for their WW1 USMC Impression, after one gets everything else including an Army Overcoat. I know I would like to see in a unit of 20 guys every single one of them in a Army M1912 Uniform, maybe at most 2 or 3 in the P1917 Uniform who are portraying replacements(and should be treated as such). However I will say I would whether see 20 Marines clad in Forrest Green than one Marine wearing a EGA on his helmet in a WW1 Scenario...

So hopefully economics will save us from hoards of Marines running around clad in Forrest Green for post May of 1918 WW1 scenarios. But Lee, I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.

-Josh

I am glad you guys like the uniform.

Now, since this is a limited run item, meaning that I don't know when I will restock, I need anyone who is intrested to email me at [email protected] and advise me ASAP of their interest while I am in the early planning stages. I need to know sizing needs for those that are interested.

Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.