Waymarking abandoned radar stations

Bluehawk

Cool site. I used to work in the converted SAGE building at Minot. On night shifts we used to roam around the basement and hidden areas of the building. It was huge.

Interesting post. There is another couple of websites out there on abandoned Nike and Atlas missile sites.

Growing up during the Cold War, I was fascinated to see the radar towers and domes at different sites as we travelled around the country. As a kid it was "How cool." Years later, with an adult understanding of why they were there, it took on a completely different meaning!

But, yes, I still get a kick out of finding these places.

bookmarked now

thanks

I just saw that you have Mizzou in below your avatar. Are you here in MO? If so, you might want to check out his trip report entitled Vacation Time. He discusses the Vichy Gap Filler radar at the Rolla Airport in Vichy, MO. That radar is being removed now. If you're interested in that sort of thing, you might want to venture down 63 and take a look at it before it's gone. The dome itself is gone but the radar antenna is still on the tower. But, not for much longer!

He has other Missouri stuff as well. A good report on Whiteman Minuteman II sites with lots of pics!