Colt M7 Bayonet

SKIPH

Hey Gang!-Just picked up a COLT M7 Bayonet. Now, this is not a rare version. But, it is a blade marked Colt made in W. Germany. Here's what I found interesting. Blade has the correct markings -COLTS 62316, Hartford, Conn, USA, made in W.Germany. Condition is about mint, back cut is a 90 degree angle, finish very dark parkerization, blade, original factory edge. The question I have is the M7 stamp. Instead of being on the bottom of the guard (under the blade, as pictured in Gary's book), its on the right side of the guard next to the blade (below) as you look at it with barrel ring to left. Basically opposite from the normal placement of the M7 mark. It's in a "PWH" M8A1, excellent condition, with the retaining strap moved down to the center of the belt loop. Professionally down. I'm assuming the marking on the guard is some type of variation, and am curious as to what year these were produced. Still no camera. THX SKIP

Skip,

Here's a link to a page I just ran across recently while puzzling over questions I happen to have regarding back cut in general and the Colt/Imperial M7's. At the bottom of the page are 3 groups of pics on some of the W. German M7's. I'm thinking that one of the last two pic's might show what your describing(?).

http://imageevent.com/willyp/firearmsalbum...yitems/bayonets

You can click on the pics to enlarge them.

Sactroop- Great site! I looked at all the German versions, no match. Mine has an early type, straight, 90 degree back cut, dark parked blade, no "US" stamp. Getting interesting! THX SKIP

I think I must need to eat something. After reading your description for the third time, I think your saying that the ( M7) is on the guard where the makers name is usually found.

sactroop- Exactly. It's where you would normally find "BOC", or Milpar, or Imperial. Sorry about the way I phrased it, it was awkward. SKIP

sactroop- Exactly. It's where you would normally find "BOC", or Milpar, or Imperial. Sorry about the way I phrased it, it was awkward. SKIP

Naw, I think my blood sugar must be low. ;)

sactroop- The blade, and color of the parkerization, is like the middle M7, first pic on right, at the very top of the site page you gave me. With, of course the Colt markings. SKIP

Here's a pic of my Colt, W. German M7. It doesn't have a 90 back cut, but the guard mark might be what you mean. I've had this one for 15 years or so.

Marv

075ColtM7WGermany-1.jpg

075A.jpg

076ColtM7WGermany-2.jpg

Marv-As you look at the guard the way you photographed it, the M7 is directly under the blade. No, US at all. Much darker finish. Slightly different variation. I wish I had a camera. SKIP

You're right Skip, that's different. At least I understand exactly where the mark is. Wish I could help. Parts bayonet?? With the 90 degree back cut, that should make it a legit G3/M16 German issue, but if the cross guard is not right, then it makes me wonder. I have a half guard German M7 with a colt marked blade(W-Germany). I am told that it was a 1980s commercial venture, so there is evidence that parts bayonets were made by Eickhorn and offered to the public.

Marv

Marv-Does your M7 have the retaining bar, under the grips, behind the guard? Mine does not. It has a complete weld on both sides of the tang, at the guard. It does have the hole drilled for the bar. Also noticed the grips are not recessed for the bar.I am now assuming I have a very nice Colt M7 designed for the collector market. Does anyone have a Colt w/ the retention bar? SKIP

Skip, My German Colt marked M7 in the picture does not have the blade retaining bar. Just welded. It does not appear to have any provision for one.

The one half of the grip has a groove which would accommodate a retaining bar, but the other half is flat. Obviously not the normal military design.

Marv

Marv- We have two slightly different variations, both without the retaining bar. Makes me kinda wonder if all but the early ones were military. Anyone else have a Colt M7 available for comparison, especially a known military version. Would appreciate any input. THX SKIP

I have a Colt-marked M7 that is marked "Made in Germany" and a M8A1 scabbard also marked "Germany". I understand that the bayonet is a commercial model. Does anybody know more about it and have an idea of what it is worth?

post-67229-1326678629.jpg

post-67229-1326678644.jpg

Here's a pic of my Colt, W. German M7. It doesn't have a 90 back cut, but the guard mark might be what you mean. I've had this one for 15 years or so.

Marv

075ColtM7WGermany-1.jpg

075A.jpg

076ColtM7WGermany-2.jpg

Misfit I have one of the very first m7's marked west germany but my blade is green not black I have owned this one since 64 or 65. the last one with the new white out lined colt emblem one the other side of the blade is the new production also my blade is shorter Don

soungdog-Does your M7 have the retaining bar under the handle behind the guard ? Real curious to know, especially on an early one. I find the green blade interesting too. Love to see a picture if possible. THX SKIP

soungdog-Does your M7 have the retaining bar under the handle behind the guard ? Real curious to know, especially on an early one. I find the green blade interesting too. Love to see a picture if possible. THX SKIP

Mine is solid inside and welded no retaing bar. Also my blade is 61/2" The others are 67/8 will post pix later today Don

Don-Thanks curious to see how it looks. Did not realize they were being made in W. Germany that early in production. SKIP

Don- This is getting interesting! You don't have the retaining bar, or the hole it runs through. Is the back cut of the blade 90 degrees or rounded out? Do you have the number 32316 also on the blade? The picture that I'm starting to see, is that Colt marked W German M7s were, 1) Not made to US standard for M7s, or 2) Made for foreign military forces, or 3) strictly for the collectors" market. One thing for sure, there seems to be some variety between the ones we've discussed so far. It looks as though Eichorn used up what ever blade blanks were available. They made all of the US models from M4-M7, plus a bunch of European series for the G-3 rifles and others. So I'm sure there was plenty of old stock around. Still not conclusive by any means, we need a lot more info. I've totally exhausted every resource for Colt M7s that I know of. Anyone have more info? SKIP

Skip I've had my eye's open for any supporting information on what you have. Probably looking at some of the same places you've been. Aint the hunting fun? :thumbsup:

Must confess I'm very curious. I wonder if we're not the only ones who hit upon this. Haven't seen an Imperial or Milpar Colt marked to compare. The constant we have is "West German", Eichorn made. I hope Gary or Bill Humes have some more info available. I'm pleased with my bayonet, but am on a quest to find out more. SKIP

Must confess I'm very curious. I wonder if we're not the only ones who hit upon this. Haven't seen an Imperial or Milpar Colt marked to compare. The constant we have is "West German", Eichorn made. I hope Gary or Bill Humes have some more info available. I'm pleased with my bayonet, but am on a quest to find out more. SKIP

I had my hand on a west german usaf m7 just like mine but has blue scales. seen this one in about 64 in Texas wish I had it now Don I sent Bill pix of mine last year he also had more Questions than answers the green short blade stumps them Don. forgot its square cut.