Looking for opinions on unusual DCU jacket

easystreet

Gents,

I just picked up this DCU jacket at a thrift store about fifty miles from Fort Lewis. Initially I thought it might be one of the Ranger or SF modified DCUs, where they removed the lower pockets and sewed them on to the sleeves, and added velcro for patches, but on closer inspection, it looks like it was actually made this way from the factory. There is no evidence that there were ever lower pockets on the jacket. The care tag, instead of being sewn on the inside of the jacket, so the stitching would be concealed by the lower pocket, has been sewn to the back of the bottom of the front closure fly. The pockets on the sleeves are the same size and construction of the upper pockets, but instead of button closure, they have velcro strips and there were never buttons. The other odd thing, is that the tags make no mention of what type of jacket it is, such as "COAT DESERT CAMOULAGE COMBAT", etc. I have read where others refer to these style tags as "Civilian" or "Contractor" tags ?

Anyway, I appreciate any comments and opinions.

Rich M

post-12-1326405197.jpg

Somewhere on another thread is mention of the rangers using black velcro on their modified uniforms. Since you found this near Fort Lewis where the 2nd Ranger Battalion is located I would guess that this was modified by them.

Somewhere on another thread is mention of the rangers using black velcro on their modified uniforms. Since you found this near Fort Lewis where the 2nd Ranger Battalion is located I would guess that this was modified by them.

I concur.

As it is a TRU-SPEC, it is a commercial piece. That, along with the absence of a contract number.. IIRC, they made them in this "modified" fashion for the market. Also remember back in the late 90's and before the GWOT, these factory modifieds being used the various Special Ops organizations as being known as "Raid" uniforms. Don't recall if the velcro came with or if it was done by the unit/user though.

What is puzzling me about this one, is that it looks like it is completely factory made as is. These are not modifications. The velcro strips on the pocket flaps and pockets, were sewn on in such a way that the only way they could have been done was during the actual construction of the pockets and the flaps. If they had been added as a modification, the pocket flaps would have the extra inner flap with the button holes, and the pocket would show signs of the buttons being removed. Also, there were never any bottom pockets on the jacket. If pockets had been removed, there would be signs of their removal. The lower care tag is also placed decidedly different than on a normal jacket. It has been placed on the back side of the front opening fly, in such a way that the sewing would not show on the front of the jacket. This was also done during the construction of the jacket and not moved later.

Rich M

What is puzzling me about this one, is that it looks like it is completely factory made as is. These are not modifications. The velcro strips on the pocket flaps and pockets, were sewn on in such a way that the only way they could have been done was during the actual construction of the pockets and the flaps. If they had been added as a modification, the pocket flaps would have the extra inner flap with the button holes, and the pocket would show signs of the buttons being removed. Also, there were never any bottom pockets on the jacket. If pockets had been removed, there would be signs of their removal. The lower care tag is also placed decidedly different than on a normal jacket. It has been placed on the back side of the front opening fly, in such a way that the sewing would not show on the front of the jacket. This was also done during the construction of the jacket and not moved later.

Rich M

Rich, as I said...they made them in this "modified" fashion for the market. The uniform style used to be known as "Raid" uniforms. Not a correct picture, but if you read the sellers info concerning it, it describes the style as it comes from the manufacturer..

http://www.militaryuniformsupply.com/tru-s...-sleeve-pockets

Nice link there HoovieDude, pity they don't ship outside the US though.

Have it shipped to me, then I will forward it if ya want. Drop me a PM if interested.