Damaged B-52

hink441

I ran across this picture and I was wondering if anyone had seen it before or could add any information? If this is a legit picture, it speaks volumes of the workmanship of Boeing aircraft and of the pilot's skill. Thanks for looking.

Chris

post-10825-1326403086.jpg

Holy-moly...and it landed safely?! :w00t: Just like the B-17s which came before it! Hence the saying, "If it ain't a Boeing, I ain't going!"

Here's a youtube link to an Air Force report of this incident. Not of the highest quality, and technical in nature, but interesting nevertheless:

Enjoy.

Terry ("Bagman")

This is one that came back to Minot with a hole from a lightning strike big enough to throw a desk through and a trail of smoke.

scan0001-2.jpg

It's not as impressive as a missing tail but .....

During Vietnam we had a 52D some back with a missile through the bomb bay, another one that had its tail fall off that night in its reventment, and another one that came home three days after it took off. It had a missile take off a large section of its left wing tank and put enough holes into its fuel tanks that it was forced to land at Da Nang for repairs.

The Aircraft was caught in a thunderstorm which ripped its certical tail off... Also try a book called "Snakes in the Cockpit." Lots of bent and broken birds there too...

Wayne

Speaking of "Like Father, Like Son", I saw an interview with an Air Force major during the first Gulf War and he was flying the same B-52 (airframe) his father flew over Viet Nam. I thought that spoke volumes for this aircraft.

Today I was looking for something other in my library but accidentally found this WWII era Boeing's ad which is ideal for the subject we discuss about here.

post-75-1326922653.jpg