M1881 Dress Officers Helmet

I tried finding a photo online of Civil War Veterans wearing this style helmet, however the closest match is the photo below. It dates to 1894 and the locations is Reading, MA.

I imagine the gentlemen up front are actual Civil War Veterans, but it's not to say others in the group are not.

Photo is courtesey of the following website:

http://open.salon.co..._civil_war_vets

post-29885-0-16883400-1363880770.jpg

OK...THIS is what I LOVE about this forum. Take a rather ordinary thread discussing collection of visor caps, someone spots the spiked helmet in the background and comments, prompting the resurrection of an older thread and then the research pours forth leading to a fantastic discussion. To see a photo that is potentially of the original issuee (of the helmet) is just plain cool!

OK...THIS is what I LOVE about this forum. Take a rather ordinary thread discussing collection of visor caps, someone spots the spiked helmet in the background and comments, prompting the resurrection of an older thread and then the research pours forth leading to a fantastic discussion. To see a photo that is potentially of the original issuee (of the helmet) is just plain cool!

Well I guess we all love a good mystery especially if it involves our interests.Were else can you have this much fun sitting in the lazy boy!

I couldn't agree more, gentlemen!

Thanks, by the way, to Shawn for bringing this thread back to life for me. And of course thanks to Patriot for re-opening the research with a possibilty I never thought of...

While not a definitive answer as to the ID, certainly a major step forward from where I was before!