A question for B-17 experts

renfield

post-5349-1326325429.jpgI was thinking some of the members could help me with this question. I have seen B-17D THE SWOOSE at Dayton and know it is the oldest B-17 left. I have also seen B-17F MEMPHIS BELLE sitting just a few feet from THE SWOOSE. At Dayton I have also seen B-17G SHOO SHOO SHOO BABY. Can anyone tell me if any B-17E's are on display any place. Also are there any F models in flying condition? I know there is a G model made to look like a F still flying. Thanks for any info.

Steve

post-5349-1326325753.jpgIf you ever get the chance to visit Dayton by all means go! It could be the only place to see 3 combat veteran B-17s. I understand that the wings have been put on and she is up on her landing gear. I hope to get back and see for myself in a few months. This picture was taken almost 2 years ago.

Steve

They sure are beautiful. The only B-17 I've ever seen was somewhere in Central California in a permanent outside display next to an F4 Phantom. I'll do some looking on the internet and see if I can find where that was. It's been about 15 years ago, but I'm pretty sure it's a B-17G....

Wow that link tells me everything I wanted to know and then some. Thank you for posting it. I passed up the chance to fly in a B-17G due to money. I wish now I would have done it. If I get the chance again I will not pass it up....no matter what the cost.

Steve

Cobrahistorian
Wow that link tells me everything I wanted to know and then some. Thank you for posting it. I passed up the chance to fly in a B-17G due to money. I wish now I would have done it. If I get the chance again I will not pass it up....no matter what the cost.

Steve

Steve,

DO IT. You will not regret it. I've got a couple hours of flight time in "Fuddy Duddy", including 5 minutes of right seat time and remember every detail vividly, fifteen years later!

Jon

The famous early B-17 "Swamp Ghost" known from the 1970's issue of National Geographic is back here in the states in Chino, CA as a couple years ago and being restored.

You can check out its progress here on it's website.

http://www.theswampghost.com/

Leonardo

The Swoose is the oldest and is a D model

I can think of a number of E models still around.

Paul Allen has one that is being restored to flight

Desert Rat in Illinois is being restored to flight

Swamp Ghost in California. Not sure what the long term plan is.

One in Ohio, can't think of the name off the top of my head, that was recovered from Greenland and is being restored to static

F Models

The Belle under restoration at USAFM

Boeing Bee in Seattle that was a flyer

One being restored to static at Grissom AFB

All kinds of G models both flying and static