Current USAF/ABU Utility Cap rank question

Sabrejet

Maybe past or present serving USAF members could help me out here? I've just acquired a very nice complete USAF/ABU via the forum (thanks Jason!) It has Staff Sergeant stripes on each sleeve. I've also acquired from a different source a matching AF issue ABU utility cap. The cap has no insignia attached but I'd like to add some in order to complete the uniform. So, my question is, what form should it take? Do I need to find a miniature, subdued/embroidered Staff Sgt cap patch, or a pin-on version? What is the accepted practice at the moment? Thank you.

No insignia is worn on the Air Force "patrol cap." Your "patrol cap" is correct the way it is without rank insignia. I don't know why the air force does it this way, maybe because the rank on the sleeve is so big and obvious. George in Jonesboro, GA

No insignia is worn on the Air Force "patrol cap." Your "patrol cap" is correct the way it is without rank insignia. I don't know why the air force does it this way, maybe because the rank on the sleeve is so big and obvious. George in Jonesboro, GA

Hello George! Long time no "see". Is that so? Does that apply to officers too? Thanks.

Ian :thumbsup:

Correct! That rank is usually sewed on, but I have seen it pinned. If you do the pin style, it should be an Air Force 'subdued' not shiny bright. (AF & Army have different subdued styles from what I've seen, although I can only speak for stateside wear, not 'downrange').

Correct! That rank is usually sewed on, but I have seen it pinned. If you do the pin style, it should be an Air Force 'subdued' not shiny bright. (AF & Army have different subdued styles from what I've seen, although I can only speak for stateside wear, not 'downrange').

Roger that! :thumbsup:

in 05-06 in Afghanistan, when I worked with the USAF and they still had the 3-color deserts the officers only wore subdued rank. Enlisted wore no rank on the hat.