What famous event happened with this ship?

vostoktrading

vostoktrading

"USS Stark was hit by an Exocet missile fired by an Iraqi plane in 1988."

Redleg13a wins the cookie for the Stark question. Good job!

Nice ballcap hink441! I only have the patch.

vostoktrading

All contributions are welcome. Please try to include a bonifide piece of militaria.

Remember, we don't just collect old stuff, we also need to learn about the history behind the stuff we collect.

Here's my next contribution:

post-7885-1326323208.jpg

VirtualMariner
All contributions are welcome. Please try to include a bonifide piece of militaria.

Remember, we don't just collect old stuff, we also need to learn about the history behind the stuff we collect.

Here's my next contribution:

If I'm not mistaken, the North Koreans still have the USS Pueblo on display as a museum ship. Quite the proud accomplishment for them.

VirtualMariner

I'm sorry I don't have anything from her, but would like to see if anyone on the forum does. I offer the USS Liberty to the mix. Who knows her significance and does anyone have some Liberty militaria?

Here is another famous ship that has some special one-of-kind plumbing installed especially for a VIP. Who was the VIP?? This is an easy one.

usnhats031.jpg

Here is another one. The USS New Jersey earned more battlestars for combat action than any other Iowa class battleship. The New Jersey is the only Battleship to serve in WW2, Korea and Viet Nam. Thanks for looking.

Chris

usnhats028.jpg

VirtualMariner
Here is another famous ship that has some special one-of-kind plumbing installed especially for a VIP. Who was the VIP?? This is an easy one.

usnhats031.jpg

Claw foot bathtub, installed for FDR. My buddy served aboard Iowa at the time of her final decomm. He just went to visit her last week. Still a lot of work left, but looks like she's coming along nicely. I think they're shooting for her grand opening in LA on July 4th.

usnhats031.jpg

Along with the special plumbing for FDR, Iowa also had the first florescent lighting installed on a US Navy warship in 1950. It was experimentaly installed to see if the lighting could stand up to the shock of the 16 inch guns. It went in the ward room. It was sucessful. I have no curent capibility to post photos, but do have several pieces of Iowas teak decking.

Steve Hesson

vostoktrading
The USS Pueblo was captured in 1968 by North Koreans.

This event is known as the Pueblo incident.

Yes, they still have her. I understand they have a tour of the vessel complete with their outdated and stale propaganda.

Poor old ship deserves better than that.

post-7885-1326339196.jpg

vostoktrading
I'm sorry I don't have anything from her, but would like to see if anyone on the forum does. I offer the USS Liberty to the mix. Who knows her significance and does anyone have some Liberty militaria?

Yea, USS Liberty was coming up. I found this stationary set not too long ago.

I'm sure we are all far from satisfied about the official explanation given by our Israeli friends about this incident.

post-7885-1326339517.jpg

post-7885-1326339525.jpg

post-7885-1326339533.jpg

post-7885-1326339544.jpg

vostoktrading
Along with the special plumbing for FDR, Iowa also had the first florescent lighting installed on a US Navy warship in 1950. It was experimentaly installed to see if the lighting could stand up to the shock of the 16 inch guns. It went in the ward room. It was sucessful. I have no curent capibility to post photos, but do have several pieces of Iowas teak decking.

Steve Hesson

I never knew this stuff about the Iowa, this is great!

vostoktrading
Good thread Jon! Next up, USS Wahoo. Any takers?

post-8022-1326316527.jpg

The Wahoo was a very successful Gato class submarine that was lost during her 7th patrol in La Perouse straight.

Being on subs during WW2 was very dangerous no matter what navy you were in.

vostoktrading

USS Memphis.

This is a dual topic: A ship and a boat, same name, different era's. Two clue words: Tsunami & Kursk.

I don't have any memorabilia but I found this picture of the bow of the earlier Memphis on the internet.

post-7885-1326345312.jpg

post-7885-1326345347.jpg

VirtualMariner
USS Memphis.

This is a dual topic: A ship and a boat, same name, different era's. Two clue words: Tsunami & Kursk.

I don't have any memorabilia but I found this picture of the bow of the earlier Memphis on the internet.

Where is that boat bow located? If i'm not mistaken, it is either here in Nashville, or we have one almost identical in our Centennial Park. I'm not familiar with the Memphis, though.

The Wahoo was a very successful Gato class submarine that was lost during her 7th patrol in La Perouse straight.

Being on subs during WW2 was very dangerous no matter what navy you were in.

Yup, Mush Morton went down with her. She's been found too. Russians, I think, found her a few years ago. There are photo's on the internet.

Quite a few subs that are still on eternal patrol have been found in recent years. I wish they'd find USS Tang. Hmm, now there's an interesting sub. What was interesting, and extremely sad, about her sinking?

Yes, they still have her. I understand they have a tour of the vessel complete with their outdated and stale propaganda.

Poor old ship deserves better than that.

A couple TASM's should do the trick. We should either go get her or sink her, one of the two.

Here's one that might throw people. What's famous about this ship?

:think:

It was used as the ficticous ship used on Ensign O'Toole! I cheated though and had to look that up, but won't give the name of the vessel for those who are trying to figure it out, as well as the real famous event (which was very tragic by the way) based on their own internal knowledge of Naval ships.

It was used as the ficticous ship used on Ensign O'Toole! I cheated though and had to look that up, but won't give the name of the vessel for those who are trying to figure it out, as well as the real famous event (which was very tragic by the way) based on their own internal knowledge of Naval ships.

She was cut in half by the HMAS Melbourne when she was ordered to assume plane guard duties. She crossed the Melbourne's bow rather than go around behind her to assume her station.

Here's one for you....USS Canberra. As a hint, the event has ties to WWII however is not necessarily combat related...

Only thing I can think of is maybe her being named after the HMAS Canberra, the Australian heavy cruiser sunk during the Battle of Savo Island. Also lost were the USS Quincy, Astoria and Vincennes, three US heavy cruisers. It was the worst naval defeat ever inflicted on the US Navy. Bob Ballard found one of the heavy cruisers, Quincy I think. She lost her bow and one of her 8" guns blew up at some point. He also found the HMAS Canberra along with several other ships. He didn't find the other two US cruisers, though.

She was cut in half by the HMAS Melbourne when she was ordered to assume plane guard duties. She crossed the Melbourne's bow rather than go around behind her to assume her station.

Since Redleg gave the correct answer, the ship in question is the USS Frank E. Evans. Quite a tragic story as a 74 crewmen were lost...

Only thing I can think of is maybe her being named after the HMAS Canberra, the Australian heavy cruiser sunk during the Battle of Savo Island. Also lost were the USS Quincy, Astoria and Vincennes, three US heavy cruisers. It was the worst naval defeat ever inflicted on the US Navy. Bob Ballard found one of the heavy cruisers, Quincy I think. She lost her bow and one of her 8" guns blew up at some point. He also found the HMAS Canberra along with several other ships. He didn't find the other two US cruisers, though.

The event I'm looking for would have occured on the most recent incarnation of the Canberra. Another hint; the event occured while the US was not a part of any major war campaign.