What famous event happened with this ship?

vostoktrading

Wasn't she known for sinking enemy submarines?

I believe she ran aground in Oklahoma after the war as a museum.

Jon

Yes, she killed three Japanese submarines; RO 112, RO 113 and RO 115, all within a three day span. She's the champion submarine killer submarine of WWII. Back then, it was unusual for a submarine to kill another submarine. Nowadays, submarines are the main hunters of other submarines. Advancements in sonar and torpedo technology have made that possible.

Yes, too, she is a museum boat in Muskogee, OK just off the Arkansas River. She sits in a dry pond these days but sometimes has a puddle around her after it rains. I've been aboard her 2-3 times years ago. I think I need to take my kids now that they're old enough to understand history better.

Keep 'em coming; this is fun! :thumbsup:

What do these three ships have in common?

They were all three in the same dry dock at Pearl Harbor on 7 December, 1941. There is a well-known photograph of one of the destroyers rolled over on the other one following the attack. IIRC, the dry dock was flooded to put out fires and the destroyer floated free of the blocks and rolled over crashing into the other one.

vostoktrading
Yes, she killed three Japanese submarines; RO 112, RO 113 and RO 115, all within a three day span. She's the champion submarine killer submarine of WWII. Back then, it was unusual for a submarine to kill another submarine. Nowadays, submarines are the main hunters of other submarines. Advancements in sonar and torpedo technology have made that possible.

Yes, too, she is a museum boat in Muskogee, OK just off the Arkansas River. She sits in a dry pond these days but sometimes has a puddle around her after it rains. I've been aboard her 2-3 times years ago. I think I need to take my kids now that they're old enough to understand history better.

Keep 'em coming; this is fun! :thumbsup:

That's interesting! I didn't know the kills were in such a short span of time. They were on a roll!

We have the USS Bowfin as a museum boat over here. I have to go back to see her again, it's been years since the last time.

What impressed me was how tight it is inside. It must have been hard to live and work in so small an area.

Jon.

Pearl Harbor is the one place I want to visit in Hawaii. I don't really care to do anything else, just see Pearl. I'd also like to see where they have all of the superstructure from the Arizona and Oklahoma stored. It's still there somewhere but I don't know exactly where. I think it might be to the west of Ford Island but I don't know. I'd bet there pieces of the West Virginia there as well.

vostoktrading
They were all three in the same dry dock at Pearl Harbor on 7 December, 1941. There is a well-known photograph of one of the destroyers rolled over on the other one following the attack. IIRC, the dry dock was flooded to put out fires and the destroyer floated free of the blocks and rolled over crashing into the other one.

That's right. What a mess!

post-7885-1327101065.jpg

vostoktrading
Pearl Harbor is the one place I want to visit in Hawaii. I don't really care to do anything else, just see Pearl. I'd also like to see where they have all of the superstructure from the Arizona and Oklahoma stored. It's still there somewhere but I don't know exactly where. I think it might be to the west of Ford Island but I don't know. I'd bet there pieces of the West Virginia there as well.

There is alot to see just on Oahu. At Pearl you have, of course, the Arizona Memorial and museum, you have the Bowfin museum next door, you have the USS Missouri on Ford Island (Battleship bookends for US involvement in WW2, Arizona & Missouri!), you have the Aviation museum also on Ford Island, there's the Army Museum at Fort DeRussy in Waikiki, on Schofield Barracks there is a nice small army museum (with a Sherman tank parked out in front)... Hmmm, I think that's about it.

Bits of Arizona used to be on Pearl City peninsula somewhere in the bushes near the victory docks. I don't know if the Navy did anything with the remains. You'd be trespassing though. Watch out for wasps, scorpions and centipedes (and base police)!

vostoktrading
There is alot to see just on Oahu. At Pearl you have, of course, the Arizona Memorial and museum, you have the Bowfin museum next door, you have the USS Missouri on Ford Island (Battleship bookends for US involvement in WW2, Arizona & Missouri!), you have the Aviation museum also on Ford Island, there's the Army Museum at Fort DeRussy in Waikiki, on Schofield Barracks there is a nice small army museum (with a Sherman tank parked out in front)... Hmmm, I think that's about it.

Bits of Arizona used to be on Pearl City peninsula somewhere in the bushes near the victory docks. I don't know if the Navy did anything with the remains. You'd be trespassing though. Watch out for wasps, scorpions and centipedes (and base police)!

Ships around Ford Island 7 December, 1941.

post-7885-1327102915.jpg

vostoktrading

One thing I had to add that I think is absolutely amazing, considering the damage.

Both Cassin and Downes were repaired and rejoined the fleet later in WW2!

post-7885-1327103609.jpg

vostoktrading
Can I add one to the list? USS Indianapolis.

post-8022-1326308571.jpg

I had to add this matchbook to Ian's Indie. What a sad loss of life...

post-7885-1327106504.jpg

post-7885-1327106518.jpg

Yes, it was. It would be neat if they found the Indianapolis but they think she might be in a trench or something.

What's even more amazing than the Cassin and Downes rejoining the fleet is that the Shaw did as well. She's the destroyer that had her forward magazine detonate destroying the bow section. She was fitted with a temporary wood bow and sailed back to the west coast under her own power. She was fitted with a new bow and went to war!

Please don't forget the USS Utah! So many do! There are still sailors resting there!

The Arizona remains on the point are still there.

Please don't forget the USS Utah! So many do! There are still sailors resting there!

The Arizona remains on the point are still there.

Nope, haven't forgotten the Utah. 58 men are still aboard, correct?

Where is the Point? Where would they be on Google maps in relation to the Arizona or Ford Island?

A couple TASM's should do the trick. We should either go get her or sink her, one of the two.

While agree with you 1000% I doubt that will ever happen. You know years,years ago when I heard that the Pubelo is still in North Korean hands I was stunned, today knowing this just reinforces my belief of whats going on today with the North Joes and even the Chinese, that since the fall of 1950, our consecutive goverments starting with Truman are really afraid of these people, just think about that real hard, In January the North Joes cease the Pueblo and hold the crew for NEARLY A YEAR ! and we let them on top of this KEEP THE SHIP ! I always thought this was a travesty of the first order, even more, the Navy drags these men in front of a board of inquiry, I would shouted at one these officers, hey A....... maybe if you people did something to get us the Hell out of there we would have been there as prisoners for nearly a year, this blaming the ships company was something I never understood, did they not know, owing to the experience of the way UN servicemen where treated during the war how they would be and in fact treated. Yes it was a bad example of putting a ship in harms way and when the going got tough left both ship and crew twisting in the wind, not a proud chapter in the History of the Navy.

As for today, the North Joes as well as the Chinese KNOW they got us by the short and curlies, and that they can do anything that their hearts desire, after all they have seen the way we get ever since the first meeting at Kaesong to begin talks of an Armistice, how we rolled over, not only there but also at the UN, yes I believe stronger words where in order when, as a blatant propagada ploy the Soviet delgate to the UN Jakob Malick acused the United States of using germ warfare in Korea, but we let him say all these things and stall the meetings in Panmunjom, we let the propagada of the supposed ill treatment of their POWs, affect everything as well, and let them run riot, sure we eventual sent in combat hardend U.S. Infantry to put an end to the upheavels, but not before they won there propagada victories, which the government did little refute on the world stage, other than bring in mostly biased Red Cross, and equally biased UN representatives, these things are going on today, and I doubt they'll be any differant than the way we always dealt with these people, we'll have to see now the the great leader is gone, so keep your eyes and ears open, we seem to not to really care about the North Koreans or the Chinese militarly, we may be in for a serious jolt, and I mean a big one.

Getting in a point-blank duel w/ a Japanese Battleship & surviving! LOL!

She got the Presidential Unit Citation as well for this, yes?

Talk about having a bad day! What's interesting about this destroyer?

Talk about having a bad day! What's interesting about this destroyer?

"The ship that would not die." The Laffey suffered four bombs hits, six kamikaze crashes, and multiple strafing fire. This happened while running radar picket duty during the Okinawa battle.

Getting in a point-blank duel w/ a Japanese Battleship & surviving! LOL!

She got the Presidential Unit Citation as well for this, yes?

I think that was an older Laffey The 459, and she did not surivor her duel.

vostoktrading
I think that was an older Laffey The 459, and she did not surivor her duel.

Yes, The older Laffey, DD-459 was sunk in November of 1942. She was only a year old! She was hit with a 14 inch from Hiei (Japanese Battleship) and a torpedo. She went down off Guadalcanal. She did manage to rake Hiei pretty well, injuring the admiral and killing his chief of staff, but she was in a really bad place.

I found this map of Iron Bottom Sound off Guadalcanal on the internet. I don't know how accurate it is.

Yes, she did get a PUC for this.

post-7885-1327177270.jpg

vostoktrading
"The ship that would not die." The Laffey suffered four bombs hits, six kamikaze crashes, and multiple strafing fire. This happened while running radar picket duty during the Okinawa battle.

That's right. On April 15, 1945 USS Laffey DD724 really got beat up on picket duty between Okinawa and Japan.

I think she is now a museum ship in South Carolina.

This Laffey was an Allen M. Sumner class destroyer.

My dad was on a Fletcher class destroyer during the battle for Okinawa. His ship also did picket duty there (USS Watts).

I remember he said the problem with the 2200 hundred tunners (his terminology for the the Allen M. Sumner class) was that they had only 3 turrets with dual 5 inch guns.

The Fletchers had 5 turrets with single 5 inch guns. Even though they had one less 5 inch gun in total they were more effective because they could train each turret independantly and engage more targets in different directions when everything was flying at you.

post-7885-1327178751.jpg

vostoktrading
The USS Juneau and the Sullivans. What a sad story.

Nice ticket, sgtpete!

The anti aircraft cruiser Juneau went down on November 13, 1942 following the naval battle of Guadalcanal. A series of foul-ups delayed the rescue attempt for survivors in the water. Among the crew were the 5 Sullivan brothers. I think only 10 sailors survived (none of the Sullivan brothers).

post-7885-1327180455.jpg

Yes, The older Laffey, DD-459 was sunk in November of 1942. She was only a year old! She was hit with a 14 inch from Hiei (Japanese Battleship) and a torpedo. She went down off Guadalcanal. She did manage to rake Hiei pretty well, injuring the admiral and killing his chief of staff, but she was in a really bad place.

I found this map of Iron Bottom Sound off Guadalcanal on the internet. I don't know how accurate it is.

Yes, she did get a PUC for this.

The map has the USS Quincy, but it doesn't show the positions of the Astoria and Vincennes. Still, I like that map! Is this map of ships that have been found or is it based on known or suspected sinking positions?

vostoktrading
The map has the USS Quincy, but it doesn't show the positions of the Astoria and Vincennes. Still, I like that map! Is this map of ships that have been found or is it based on known or suspected sinking positions?

I don't know, maybe they sank off the map area. It's a nice map, I just grabbed it off the internet.