ID needed on possible US Navy patch

Bearmon

Any Clues on this one? PT boats?? PBRs??? Not US at all?

looks like binoculars in one "hand" can't tell what kind of animal in the other

Tommy gun and nBrown shoes....

post-582-1326222480.jpg

It may more likely be something to do with a PT Boat unit. The small boats were nicknamed "Mosquito" Boats. There was a Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron 12 that was active in WWII. I agree about the one object being binoculars or a camera, the other appears to be a small monkey. The patch looks more like a recent manufacture than WWII era so maybe it's a veterans reproduction. It very well could be a much older patch. There is or was one of these on Ebay very recently.

IH

I would guess a VN era Aviation unit. Possibily reconnisance. The brown shoe is a Navy thing, associated with Naval aviation. The monkey would have to do with NAS Cubi Point Philipeenes. They have a huge population of rather vicisious monkeys over on the Cubi side with no fear of drunk Sailors and tended to be some what agressive. And, that part of the world is just full of mosquiteos, all the time everywhere. If it had to do with PT boats, it would be more "PT" centric. Naval Aviation unit, a detachment of a regular squadron, VN era.

Steve Hesson

I would guess a VN era Aviation unit. Possibily reconnisance. The brown shoe is a Navy thing, associated with Naval aviation. The monkey would have to do with NAS Cubi Point Philipeenes. They have a huge population of rather vicisious monkeys over on the Cubi side with no fear of drunk Sailors and tended to be some what agressive. And, that part of the world is just full of mosquiteos, all the time everywhere. If it had to do with PT boats, it would be more "PT" centric. Naval Aviation unit, a detachment of a regular squadron, VN era.

Steve Hesson

This seems to make the most sense. Since you have a broader perspective on navy customs and Naval interactions the images portrayed on the patch are more understandable. I have never heard of a Navy helicopter squadron having "units" but I have seen "Detachments", usually something like HMM-262 ( C )DetP. While I don't know what ( C ) might mean, DetP is pretty clear.

IH

This seems to make the most sense. Since you have a broader perspective on navy customs and Naval interactions the images portrayed on the patch are more understandable. I have never heard of a Navy helicopter squadron having "units" but I have seen "Detachments", usually something like HMM-262 ( C )DetP. While I don't know what ( C ) might mean, DetP is pretty clear.

IH

Again, just SWAGing it. I recall specialized groups that worked with in different groups being refered to as "Units". Pretty generaic. I mean, this could also be some Coastal Patrol or River organization, but the brown shoes tell me it's NavAir affiliated. And Again, I could be compleatly out in left field (or is it right field :think: ). Either way, cool patch, and I'm just guessing based on what the symbologey means to this old Rust Pickin' Squid.

Steve Hesson

VirtualMariner

Steve's assessment seems like a pretty good educated guess. I agree that, if this is a Navy patch, the brown shoes are a tip off for it being an aviation unit. Honestly, though, the shape of the patch itself immediately make me think aviation, as well. Seems to me like this style/shape is seen more with aviation units than ship or shore commands in the Navy.

• 1 year later...
Johnny Signor

could be a liaison type seeing as the bug has binoculars and weilding a gun and has wings and has grabbed hod of some little "enemy" ...........................

• 7 months later...
Johnny Signor

How about 50s era an the T-6's that they used for spotting and target marking (USAF)and they were known as Mosquitos , they did have some nose guns on some of them I have heard and that may be what the Thompson is depicting ........................

Johnny Signor

Like that , but that one wasn't the only "Mosquito" Squadron there were some others, but you're on the right track I think ...............................

USS Missouri BB-63 had for it's helicopter detachment during the Korean War HU-1 Unit 12, hence the "Mo" in Mo Skee To on the patch. Hope this solves things,

Mark

Found this on worth point concerning an EBay sale from 12/10/2011:

THIS CAME OUT OF A LIEN SALE--GREAT VINTAGE NAVY PATCH--7TH FLEET FAR EAST MO-SKEETO'--THE PERSON THIS CAME FROM WAS ON THE U.S.S MISSOURI 1952-53 FAR EAST CRUISE--HAS A RUST MARK AS PICTURED FROM A PAPER CLIP-I DIDN'T TRY TO REMOVE MARK AS I DON'T KNOW HOW AND DIDN'T WANT TO RUIN THE PATCH--COLORS ARE GREAT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE IT WAS EVER ATTACHED TO ANYTHING--6 INCHES TALL AND 4 1/2 INCHES ACROSS--ANY QUESTIIONS PLEASE

The picture of the patch was the same.