Model 1916 Holsters

Hi Len !

Yes, the Fink made M1916 holster is not so easy to find. I wouldn't say it "rare", but certainly uncommon. It would be interesting to discover the mean of the "E" under the maker's mark on your one... And BTW also the font of the mark seems different from mine. Here a couple of pictures of mine. It took me a lot of time to get this one...

Regards.

Fausto

everforward

Is there any truth in the belief that if the FINK holsters have a date stamp, i.e. '1941', that it was added after the fact..?

I had a pretty nice example years ago with a date, but at that time there was no debate about the '1941' being real or not...

donation2011.gifdonation2018.gif

Charlie Flick
Is there any truth in the belief that if the FINK holsters have a date stamp, i.e. '1941', that it was added after the fact..?

I had a pretty nice example years ago with a date, but at that time there was no debate about the '1941' being real or not...

Ever:

I would have a lot of doubts about the authenticity of a "1941" marking on a FINK M1916 holster. I don't have my Ordnance Dept. Signficant Purchases of WW2 documents handy here now but I would be surprised if Fink received a contract for M1916 holsters that were produced in 1941. I have only seen one manufacturer that produced M1916 holsters with a 1941 date and that was Boyt. I'd have to examine the holster to be certain, of course, but that would be my concern.

The only other possibility that I can think of is that this might have been an instance where Fink was awarded an instructional contract, sort of like Singer with the M1911A1 pistols, and produced a few with the date of 1941 to prove that they could meet the contract specs. That is, of course, pure speculation on my part. In many years of chasing USGI holsters I don't recall ever seeing a M1916 made by Fink that was dated. Perhaps other members have seen or own such a dated Fink holster and can comment on this.

HTH.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

everforward
Ever:

I would have a lot of doubts about the authenticity of a "1941" marking on a FINK M1916 holster. I don't have my Ordnance Dept. Signficant Purchases of WW2 documents handy here now but I would be surprised if Fink received a contract for M1916 holsters that were produced in 1941. I have only seen one manufacturer that produced M1916 holsters with a 1941 date and that was Boyt. I'd have to examine the holster to be certain, of course, but that would be my concern.

The only other possibility that I can think of is that this might have been an instance where Fink was awarded an instructional contract, sort of like Singer with the M1911A1 pistols, and produced a few with the date of 1941 to prove that they could meet the contract specs. That is, of course, pure speculation on my part. In many years of chasing USGI holsters I don't recall ever seeing a M1916 made by Fink that was dated. Perhaps other members have seen or own such a dated Fink holster and can comment on this.

HTH.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Thank for the reply, Charlie. I remember the holster being in decent shape but not as fresh-looking as Fausto's example. It only had a "'41" under the FINK stamp but it was a hard one to get at the time so there ya go. :thumbsup:

Dunno if I ever had a Boyt "41", either---it's been too long but that would have been a nice one too.

donation2011.gifdonation2018.gif

I cannot believe Fink got a 1941 contract simply because BOYT was a quite big company so there was no reason to issue another contract with a smaller manufacturer. And more, why only Fink was so lucky to have a govt contract being no other company appointed in 1941? Consider also that 1941 fiscal wartime year consisted just in a couple of weeks. As regards Fink markings, my idea about the occasional presence of a capital letter (often a K) is something referring to Aproduction code or to an internal inspector initial because only WWI era holsters show govt inspector initials. In the pics different Fink markings. FINK alone and F, W, K

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.