Model 1916 Holsters

I've read or been told that the USAF had holsters dyed black (late '40s) when they prescribed black leather shoes & chinstraps. Does anyone know if that is correct? Seems it also claimed that the USAF had holsters produced dyed black in '50 or '51 give or take. I'm curious if that is correct too. I personally like the dyed holsters because it just adds more history to it in my opinion.

Yes, USAF first adopted black leather but after WWII. The first USAF black M1916 ordered, if I can remember well, is the Boyt 1950. Years ago I saw also advertised one Boyt 51-

• 3 months later...

Ebay seller Paramarine has an ENGER-KRES hip-holster on ebay (Item 290645568963) that has a very suspicious 1941 date stamped underneath the ENGER-KRES name. Although not sure weather the 1941 date on this particular holster is valid or not, it set me wondering how many holster manufactueres made hip holsters for the U.S. Govt. dated 1941. It was my understanding that only BOYT made 1941 dated holsters but I am not sure now how I came to that conclusion. Does anyone know?

CG

Charlie Flick

I agree with Artu. It is a genuine M1916 holster that has had a bogus date affixed to it.

The only legitimate 1941-dated M1916 holsters I have oberved were those made by Boyt.

Regards,

Charlie

• 3 weeks later...

RIA M16 Holster dated 1916.

I finally got around to treating my holster with some Pecard antique leather care. This stuff is amazing! It made my holster look and feel like a million bucks! I'm so glad I finally got some.

Before:

• 1 month later...
Johan Willaert

When did they start making .45 holsters in black?

I have this one marked RIA over MRT 9-55 and it seems to have been made in black and then dyed/colored brown....

Does that seem correct for the timeframe? Is the 55 date the year of manufacture or only the year of MR treatment???

Thanks!

I am no expert but I have usually seen WW2 and earlier holsters russett brown, and conversely, post war manufactured holsters black. I think around 1955 was the year they went to black holsters. I also thought RIA only made holsters prior to and during WW1. I think yours looks like it was originally brown though.

Chris

The photos seem to show the stitching is black, so I think the holster was originally black then stripped and re-dyed brown. The stitching being nylon probably didn't take the new dye or release the old black color.

Tom Bowers

Charlie Flick
When did they start making .45 holsters in black? Is the 55 date the year of manufacture or only the year of MR treatment???

Hi Johan:

In this instance 1955 is the year of manufacture as the MRT treatment was provided at the time of manufacture. The USAF adopted black leather equipments in 1950. The US Army went to black leather in 1956.

Hope that helps you.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Thanks Charlie!!

Hi Guy's

I have a Black Holster Dated MRT 1963 I don't have the Masker but can get is someone wants it?

Gerry

This holster remains a mistery to me. My experience says it's pratically impossible to dye a previous black leather in whatener other color. It looks as it would have replaced the hook attachement during MRT treatment considering its good brown colour. Moreover I dont think it would be possible a such neat marking made on a already assembled holster. The punch requires a steady support.

• 1 month later...

Lads-

Have two WWII-era M1916 hip holsters

One is marked "Sears" with no date

IMG_1197.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg

IMG_1196.jpg

the other is marked "Milwaukee Saddlery CO 1944" and has the leather tie-down thong with it

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

Anyone know the difference between them or a good source of intel on M1916 holsters?

Thanks

Chris

suwanneetrader

Approx 1995 I met a Marine and his wife who lived in an RV in N Fl in the winter and Mich in the summer. He sold me a Md 1911 or 1911A-1 (I don't remember which model it was) and it was in a brown Sears holster like yours. One of the Marine Corps officers he was serving with on Siapan was KIA so he took his .45 and holster and carried it thru out the balance of his service and was able to get it home. Since Sears holsters were issued to USMC that may be a factor in which one to keep. I have no info regarding your second holster. If you are not keeping the Sears please send me a PM, as I've always been sorry I sold that gun and holster. Richard

Common to find the Sears ones undated.I have had several over the years.There also was a Sears Saddlery in Dubuque Iowa who were contractors for the government in WW2.They made Tankers helmets.Not positive if they are one and the same company.

RD

Well, there was no specs about dating holsters in WWI and WWII so the matter was simply leaved to the taste of manufacturers. In WWII era only Boyt always impressed a date, others dated early war samples (and not late war) while others did the exactly opposite. Sears was one of the bunch who dated only 1942 so your holster is a late WWII sample.

In the pic a Sears 1942 and an undate doctored adding a fake US 1942.

While I have heard that there are no stupid questions ...only stupid people.....

I would have previously surmised that, perhaps, "SEARS" marked leathers would have been made/subbed-out by the (obvious??) Sears, Roebuck, & Co.

Then RD brought up "Sears Saddlery". ...Kinda made me wonder if the "SEARS" marked one's were actually produced through SR&C.

Would appreciate clarification on such.

Thanks.

Regards,

Don.

Sears and Roebuck has nothing to do with US martial holsters. It's an old tale that also WWI era S&R marked holsters would have benn supplied by Sears & Roebuck. Actually Sears holster were manufactured by Sears Saddlery Co., Davenport, Iowa.

Check the accurate list Charlie Flick did monts ago

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...t=0&start=0

Sears and Roebuck has nothing to do with US martial holsters. It's an old tale that also WWI era S&R marked holsters would have benn supplied by Sears & Roebuck. Actually Sears holster were manufactured by Sears Saddlery Co., Davenport, Iowa.

Artu is the Walter Boyt Saddlery Co. Of Des Moines, IO and a WWI maker the same as the Boyt Harness Co. also of Des Moines and a WWII maker?

Thanks.

Ronnie

Wow, I too was always under the assumption SEARS holsters were manufactured by Sears & Roebuck. I have one im my collection as well (dated 1942) and I didn't think anything of it considering many larger company's and brands were involved in manufacturing for the war effort (Singer, Ford, etc.). You learn something new every day!

• 1 month later...

This US M1916 holster came my way recently. Made by the Fink Leather Co. of KC, Missouri

I believe it's one of the scarcer manufacturers. Here are some pics.

Len

post-14135-1338242280.jpgpost-14135-1338242309.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.