Model 1916 Holsters

Does the holster made by Enger Kress, have always a date?

Is this an original one?

This holster is a genuine WWII era US M1916. Up to now I've seen Enger Kress M1916s dated only 1942 while further production (as your) is undated but chances are strong it would have made in 1944.

post-67-1170437070.jpg

post-67-1170437134.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'd like to have one M1916 holster from each manifacturer but I think it will be nearly impossible. In the meanwhile I'm buying every nice holster I can reach.

Yesterday the postman gave me this mint unissued Craighead I got at very nice price, but there is a reason why. It missed the 1910 hook but I didn't care cause I have ten spares, however after having carefully examined the holster I think it will remain hookless. Its mintness dont derive from USSR lendlease or other odd sources, simply the worker forgot to assembly the hook before stitching the leather attachement making the poor holster useless. If you compare the back of this holster with a mint unissued Boyt42, you'd notice that Boyt has deep hook markings on the back while the Craighead dont. It means hook never was assembled on.

By the way, did you ever noticed that Craighead is easily spotted from its squared oval compared to the rounded one of others?

Greg Robinson

I agree...probably a reject that got taken home by a factory employee.

It would be nice to have all the makers but there so many of them and I've never seen a complete list. I once had a nice example of a rare maker that I found cheap in a junk shop. Maker name (I believe) was FINK or something very close to that. I currently only own one WW2 M1916...a HARPHAN BROS....but it's pristine mint condition.

**PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY**

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/106069-rip-greg-robinson/

Yes Greg Fink WWII M1916s are quite scarce, I've see only one of them for sale on ebay. Even Harpam Bros is not an usual one. I think the most common M1916 would be the Boyt42.

Greg Robinson
Yes Greg Fink WWII M1916s are quite scarce, I've see only one of them for sale on ebay. Even Harpam Bros is not an usual one. I think the most common M1916 would be the Boyt42.

It was about ten years ago I was in a junk shop and there was this M1916 holster that still had the pale "pinkish" color shade which is a good thing but had lots of scuffs to the leather and that's not such a good thing. Overall it was nice. I offered the shop owner $25 for it and later resold it for about $100. I probably should have kept it since I've never seen another for sale.

My HARPHAN BROS is undated but the steel hooks define it as WW2. It's in spectacular condition.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/106069-rip-greg-robinson/

• 3 months later...
Bank Vault

Nice holsters guys, got a few laying around myself. Check out the last one I found at an antique store for 15 bucks. Tried not to laugh to hard when I walked out.

post-1216-1183530950.jpg

Bank Vault

and heres the back, never oiled and only some storage wear, one on ebay went for 200 a while back. nice stamp too, BOYT 44

post-1216-1183531025.jpg

• 2 months later...

Yes Bank, the 1943s is the scarcer WWII Boyt to encounter. Since years I was certain it wouldn't even exist when finally I saw the first on ebay. Also the 1945 is quite scarce. The only problem with this holster is the dark colour and for it you got it cheap. Most collectors dont bid on overoiled or black dyied holsters but only on original russet ones. You can be happy with this until you'll be able to upgrade.

Yes Bank, the 1943s is the scarcer WWII Boyt to encounter. Since years I was certain it wouldn't even exist when finally I saw the first on ebay. Also the 1945 is quite scarce. The only problem with this holster is the dark colour and for it you got it cheap. Most collectors dont bid on overoiled or black dyied holsters but only on original russet ones. You can be happy with this until you'll be able to upgrade.

I own a "USMC BOYT 45" M7 shoulder holster but have never seen a "BOYT 45" M1916.

Great price, most collectors would avoid this darker leather variation (looks a lot like post-war .45 holsters that are often seen).

To me it looks like a holster that was re-dyed black and not just a darker leather.

Greg

I have a BOYT 42 and one of the nicest BOYT 44s I have ever seen. So this will almost get my collection of BOYT hip holsters right lol.

I have a BOYT 42 and one of the nicest BOYT 44s I have ever seen. So this will almost get my collection of BOYT hip holsters right lol.

Nice holsters, Bank. You now need to set your sights on getting a -41- dated M1916 Boyt, a pretty scarce bird. Good luck.

Charlie Flick

Nice holsters, Bank. You now need to set your sights on getting a -41- dated M1916 Boyt, a pretty scarce bird. Good luck.

Charlie Flick

A friend of mine bought a 41 dated BOYT at the outdoor Military show in Iola Wisconsin in August.He gave $85 for it and its a screamer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Bought this from the states from a collector who was getting rid of a number of 1911 Holsters. As this was undated it was, by far, the cheapest.

Can you guys give me an indication as to whether or not it can be dated - I know nothing of these things.

DSCF4964.JPG

DSCF4965.JPG

DSCF4966.JPG

Yep definate WW2 one for sure REG...made by the Sears Saddlery Company.Undated possibly late war...but the stitching and verdigris on the rivets nails it....cant fake that.

Nice find...has it still got the "block" inside it ?

Regards

Lloyd

Guest ServiceGun

I have a holster which I would like some info on. It is right hand, brown, stamped "US" in an oval on the flap.

It's stamped "BOYT-J.R.J." on the back.

There are 3 lines of black lettering stamped on the inside but are too faded to read. Overall it has a fair amount of scuffs/scratches in the finish and a 1" tear in the front edge of the flap bend. Lots of vertigris around the brass rivets and fittings. All stitching appears intact.

My limited research indicates WWI issue for the .45 Auto

Thanks

Rich

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.