How to date an M7 Bayonet and M8A1 Scabbard

Wolfhounds

Since I know next to nothing about bayonet's, this is just a general question for the knife experts out there. I'm looking for a Vietnam era M7 bayonet with an M8A1 scabbard, but is there a way to date them ??? I've looked here on the forum and on Ebay, but every one I see is undated. The only info I really see is these is the maker/manufacturer and perhaps a few stock numbers. I'm trying to find an early war M7 bayonet and scabbard, and I'd like to find one dated sometime between 1962 and 1964. However, how do you tell the difference between one made on 1962 from one made in 1972 ???

Thought's, idea's, suggestion's...any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Sean

Sean-They weren't dated. BOC, Conetta, Milpar, and FZR (if you can find one), all had contracts in the 1960s according to Gary Cunningham's book. Basically from 1964-1969. Colt made some in 61' & 62', but they're hard to find, and Colt marked ones were made later in Germany, and it gets confusing from there. BOC, Conetta, and Milpar are plentiful, and you can get mint ones in the wrappers. SKIP

First of all I am not an expert, and every time I think I am, I regret it. That said, there isn't a real reliable way to date M7 bayonets, however, if you want to be sure that your bayonet is a Viet Nam era bayonet, then get a Milpar marked M7. According to Gary Cunningham's book (you should get one), Milpar provided M7 bayonets from 1964 to 1967. They may have provided bayonets later than 1967, but that is the only data available at this time. There were over a million M7s by BOC and delivered in 1969. There are a few Colt bayonets that preceded Milpar's contracts, but they are very expensive. As for scabbards, any PWH marked M8A1 would be correct. They have been made for decades. Hope this helps.

Marv

Thanks for the help gentlemen, I really appreciate it. I'm just looking to add a "representative" example to the field gear I am assembling, which my Dad wore/used in Nam and after. So there is really no need for me to buy the book, as I am not a bayonet collector. However, with the information provided above, it looks like I can't go wrong with a Milpar bayonet and a PWH M8A1 scabbard.

With that being said, does anyone have a minty set of the above listed bayonet and scabbard for sale ??? I'll post a want ad in the wanted section, but I figure it can't hurt to ask around this thread as well.

Once again gentlemen, thanks for help and assistance.

Sean

Sean= Go to ebay, or any local gun or militaria show. You'll find plenty! BE SELECTIVE! They're not rare. So don't take any old used one. Check the condition, get the best available. SKIP

Sean- Ten or 15 years ago, excellent condition w/ scabbard $15. Mint in wrapper $25. Now days in wrapper around $50. Used excellent, $25 give or take. That's why I suggest you shop around. A dealer at one table could be selling them for say $30 the next table $20 for same condition. Good Luck! Skip

Wolfhounds, If your dad was in South East Asia in 1962, he might have carried an M14 rifle which used an M6 bayonet. The M6 is also quite available. The M16 rifle was used closer to 1964? maybe?.

Marv

Marv hit on a good point. What year(s), was your Dad in Vietnam (may have to consider unit also)? Did he carry an M1 Carbine, M14, or M16. That could influence the bayonet type. SKIP

Those are very good point guy's, but the old man was in Nam from June of 67 to June of 68, and he carried an M-16. He trained in the states with an M-14, but once he arrived in-country, they used M-16's. The date 1962 doesn't really have anything to do with my Dad at all. When I stated assembling a representative example of the field gear he used in-country, obviously I wanted to use M-1956 gear. What I would like to do, if at all possible it to acquire a complete set of 1962 dated field gear and equipment. Why 1962 ??? I put a nice little package deal together with another forum member on some M-1956 gear and everything was dated 1962. So, I am trying to run with theme, so to speak, and keep everything 1962 dated, or as close to it as possible.

So with all that being said, and taking into consideration the information you gentlemen provided me with yesterday, I'd like to add a M7 Milpar bayonet and a M8A1 PWH scabbard to his display. The main reason is because Skip said the Milpar's were made between 1964 and 1967, and that is probably about as close as I'll get to guaranteeing I've got an early war dated bayonet and scabbard. I'm definitely not looking for anything rare or still packed in cosmoline, just a nice early war dated bayonet and scabbard in very good to mint unissued condition, that doesn't break the bank.

Wolfhounds,

While your shopping for that Milpar M7 you might want to look over this thread from a couple of years ago. Especially Gary's post #2. This will help you ID the earliest of the Milpars without the aid of an actual date stamp.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...&hl=colt+m7

Happy hunting. :thumbsup:

Hey Sac,

Thanks for that link, you just made my job that much harder ha ha ha. Seriously, in all honesty, I do really appreciate it though. Thankfully I'm not a bayonet collector, but without the pic's in the link you provided, I could have very easily made a big mistake by buying a collector copy verses the real thing !!!

Once again, thank you sir, as that is a very good piece of information.

P.S. if anyone has any leads on the bayonet and scabbard I'm searching for, feel free to send me a PM !!!

Thanks, Sean