WW2 Liberation of Norway certificate

Vincennes

I picked up this framed certificate at the flea market today. It measures 13x17". There is a little reflection since I photographed it through the glass, but I think you can read it OK. It was presented to Lt. Col Harold C. Stuart in October, 1945 for his help in liberating Norway during WW2. It is signed (printed signature) by King Olaf of Norway.

Stuart was born July 4, 1912 and died June 25, 2007 at age 94. He was born in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. He graduated from the University of Virginia Law School in 1936, and was admitted to the Oklahoma bar that same year. Following service as a judge in Tulsa, he enlisted in the Army Air Forces in August 1942. His active duty included assignments as an intelligence officer with the 497th Fighter Bomber Squadron at Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Headquarters Ninth Air Force in Europe, and the SHAEF mission to Norway.

He served in Air Force intelligence and ended up head of the Operational Intelligence Section of the Ninth Air Force Advanced Headquarters in Europe. He was head of Air Intelligence in Norway. He went to Norway immediately after the surrender of the Germans with the SHAEF Mission to Norway as A2 or intelligence of the Norwegian mission.

Stuart's military decorations include a bronze star, six battle stars, the Croix de Guerre of Luxembourg, the Haakon VII Victory Medal of Norway, the Medal of Freedom of Norway and the Order of St. Olav Commander of Norway. He also received the National Guard Distinguished Service Medal and the Department of Air Force Exceptional Service Award.

After he left active duty in February 1946 as a Colonel, he remained in the Air Force Reserve. He served as Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Civil Affairs from October 28, 1949 to May 25, 1951.

Stuart actively participated in a variety of civic and business affairs following World War II. His Air Force related activities included being president of the Air Force Association, 1951 1952, and special consultant to the Secretary of the Air Force, 1961 1963. Mr. Stuart also served as chairman of the board of the Air Force Academy Foundation. His extensive business ties included the board chairmanship of the Southwestern Sales Corporation as well as directorships of such firms as Getty Oil, and the First National Bank and Trust Company of Tulsa.

Paul

post-2319-1325964249.jpg

Sgt. Boghots
I picked up this framed certificate at the flea market today. It measures 13x17". There is a little reflection since I photographed it through the glass, but I think you can read it OK. It was presented to Lt. Col Harold C. Stuart in October, 1945 for his help in liberating Norway during WW2. It is signed (printed signature) by King Olaf of Norway.

Paul, that's a great find and a very unique biography on the its recepient.

Congratulations to you. :thumbsup:

Best regards,

Paul Walker

Klamath Falls, Or.

Johan Willaert

By sheer coincidence this month's issue of the French Militaria Magazine features an article about the 474th Inf Regt in Norway in 1945, written by our member Jon Gawne...

It also has one of these certificates in the article...

The Norman Ship on it is a clear reference to the Regt's insignia, whichwas based on the 99th inf Bn's, Rangers' and FSSF's insignia...

• 3 months later...
erikofnorway

Great find. These were made in two versions, one for the US troops and one for the British. The US version is the hardest to find, with the 99th Infantry Battalion being most desirable. I have both US and British in my collection, but have so far not been able to get one issued to a 99er. The signature is of Crownprice Olav, who later became King Olav V (father of today's King Harald V). Otherwise more pictures of this on our 99th Infantry Battalion website.

Erik

• 3 years later...

Great find. These were made in two versions, one for the US troops and one for the British. The US version is the hardest to find, with the 99th Infantry Battalion being most desirable. I have both US and British in my collection, but have so far not been able to get one issued to a 99er. The signature is of Crownprice Olav, who later became King Olav V (father of today's King Harald V). Otherwise more pictures of this on our 99th Infantry Battalion website.

Erik

Erikofnorway,I have received a large collection of 99th Infantry Battalion collection,I have US version framed,If you are interested in looking at any of the items let me know,I know this post is a couple years old I am replying too,Thank you