" Any Knight Baby" Patch?

Variation of a US Navy Tomcat (Fighter) Squadron. Variation of a theme, from the "Anytime Baby" logo featuring "Felix" the cat.

Variation of a US Navy Tomcat (Fighter) Squadron. Variation of a theme, from the "Anytime Baby" logo featuring "Felix" the cat.

Didn't pretty much all F-14 squadrons or F-14 types use a variation on the Twin Tail Felix theme?

Steve Hesson

Johnny Signor

No this specific patch is from the unit VF-154 Black Knights , and is shown on page42 of the US NAVY patch books by Michael L.Roberts .

yes the basic "twin tail Tomcat" was the over all design for the aircraft , but on a lot of the "unit patches he's used along with the unit's "emblem" design such as this patch.

Johnny

My Squadron (VF-302) did not have a patch with Felix on it, at least that I ever recall seeing. I don't recall VF-301 having a Felix patch as well. Then again, the impression I get is that many of the insignias that I see with Felix are "non-official"?, I'm sure someone has the correct answer.

Mark

http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-squadron-vf302.htm

OK, I left NavAIR before the F-14 was fully accepted for the fleet (the carrier I was on still carried F-4Js). And, after, I never really paid that much attention to Airdales as they were not part of my Navy (Tin Cans and Gaters). But it seems like every flight jacket I saw had some sort of Felix patch on it, maybe not squadron specific, but something, like Tom Cats in Japan, or Tom Cat Recons or something. Sort of what I meant by "Type". Either way, I loved the Felix patches and theme and this is a great patch.

Steve Hesson

Johnny Signor

The VF-154 patch with the "Cat" but also in the "Unit's" markings would be the "shoulder" worn patch signifying what they "fly" the regualar unit 's patch actually had a "Knight" with the shield in the "Cats" place , but it is/was worn by the unit pilots/crews .

Johnny

P.S. some "might " also call it a friday type patch .

Johnny Signor
My Squadron (VF-302) did not have a patch with Felix on it, at least that I ever recall seeing. I don't recall VF-301 having a Felix patch as well. Then again, the impression I get is that many of the insignias that I see with Felix are "non-official"?, I'm sure someone has the correct answer.

Mark

http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-squadron-vf302.htm

Well the original "Felix" was a Cartoon Black and white cat and is not the "newer" "Tomcat" patch "cat" "Felix did make it onto the VF-31 patch , as to the "Tomcat" cat being named "Felix" I'm not sure that is waht he's called ??????????????/

Johnny

Johnny Signor

Hey , I didn't mean my reply to sound like an argument, was not my intention , just wanted to pass on what I knew about them.

have a great day !

Johnny

Birth of the Tomcat Logo

by Jim Rodriguez (Grumman 1962-1984)

The birth of the Tomcat logo began in the early '70's by a request from Norm Gandia (former No. 5 slot, Blue Angel). He asked me to draw a lifelike Tomcat wearing boxing gloves and trunks sporting a six-shooter on his left side; where the guns are located on the F-14, along with two tails. The name "Tom" was taken from Chief of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Thomas H. Moorer, and Chief of Naval Operations, Thomas F. Connolly.

From the F-14 Tomcat Association web page.

Birth of the Tomcat Logo

by Jim Rodriguez (Grumman 1962-1984)

The birth of the Tomcat logo began in the early '70's by a request from Norm Gandia (former No. 5 slot, Blue Angel). He asked me to draw a lifelike Tomcat wearing boxing gloves and trunks sporting a six-shooter on his left side; where the guns are located on the F-14, along with two tails. The name "Tom" was taken from Chief of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Thomas H. Moorer, and Chief of Naval Operations, Thomas F. Connolly.

From the F-14 Tomcat Association web page.

Well, alrightey then, I will also stand corrected. "Tom" and not "Felix". That's cool with me. I just figuered "Felix" slid over as a cat name. "Tom" really does not look anything like "Felix" from cartoon fame (yes, I watched "Felix the Cat, The Wonderful, Wonderful Cat") or the VF 31 cat. I like "Tom". Again, always a Cool patch and a colstectable area in itself.

Steve Hesson

Johnny Signor

Oh yeah . "Tom" is a very nice collectable, the "regular" unit patches with him on them and the "special" ones too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thye are a collection in themselves if you take the time to see how many of them that are out there , a LOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!