96th FS Group

JDK

He flew his first mission on May 20th 1944. I will give some breif highlights of his more exciting missions below with photos of the group. Hope you enjoy.

Ploesti: In June of 44 he flew in the 82nd Fighter Groups first Ploesti Raid. A low level dive bombing raid. Actually the longest ever flown in the MTO. The 96th was assigned the Main Boiler house. After dropping his bomb, Carper was engulfed with flak and visions of burning P-38's around him. It was around this time when he cam upon a Me-109 on the ground. He gave it a short burst setting it ablaze. On the way home they strafed a train where they lost a group mate.

1.post-2901-0-85602700-1398785843.jpg

2.post-2901-0-06750700-1398785851.jpg

3.post-2901-0-46186400-1398785874.jpg

July 20th 1944 the 96th got into a quick dogfight with 8 Me-109's in which Walt came away with a probable.

At the end of August 1944 Walt led the first Droop Snoot mission the 82nd FG ever flew. He had been taking special training with 82nd Headquarters over the last month. For those that may not know, a droop snoot is a P-38 converted to a sort of high level bomber. They fly with a pilot and a bombardier that flies in the small nose section of the P-38.

Walt noted after the mission: "The bombs were concentrated within the target area and I believe that this new type of bombing has great possibilities"

post-2901-0-05965500-1398785882.jpg

Walts last mission was one of his more exciting.

December 12th 1944 Carper and 3 other P-38's were flying cover for a photo freddie mission over Munich Germany. The flight was jumped by 2 ME-262's. They broke in to the 262's and niether side fired. On the course back home another 262 attacked. Walt broke inside of the 262 and at 600 yards started firing. He believed he was scorring hits, but in after action reports admitted that the jet was out of effective range. The 2 planes went on to make passes firing on each other for almost 5 minutes before Walt called it quits and broke off.

His after action report noted: " In my opinion, the best evasive manuever is: aloow the jet to close to 600 yards, then break into the E/A. This way the enemy cannot get anything but a deflection shot from 90 degrees to a head on pass. The P-38 has a definite advantage over the 262 in tight turns."

This was Walts 52nd and last mission.

Walt and his P-38 the "Plastered Bastard"

post-2901-0-49518500-1398785910.jpg

What an outstanding grouping!!

Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

What is the patch on the right breast, is it a personal patch referring to his Plastered Bastard?

I have never seen it before. Johnny Signor maybe?

What an outstanding grouping!!

Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

What is the patch on the right breast, is it a personal patch referring to his Plastered Bastard?

I have never seen it before. Johnny Signor maybe?

Thanks. I wish I could answer that for sure. It is either a personal patch regarding his P-38, or a un-official 82nd FG headquarters patch. He flew with headquarters as well as the 96th FS. I have been trying to nail it down, but have only managed to narrow it down to these 2 scenarios. Regardless it is a cool patch that I really dig!

Thanks. I wish I could answer that for sure. It is either a personal patch regarding his P-38, or a un-official 82nd FG headquarters patch. He flew with headquarters as well as the 96th FS. I have been trying to nail it down, but have only managed to narrow it down to these 2 scenarios. Regardless it is a cool patch that I really dig!

The first scenario I think is the most likely. I can't find anything on my bookmarked websites.

But indeed, it is a cool patch!!

I'll PM Johnny to see if he can come to the rescue.

WOW, what can I say, great looking jacket. Its always nice to get a period photo with him wearing the jacket. Was there anything else with the grouping? Thanks for sharing. Jon

Thanks Jon. Everything you see in the 1st photo is it. It's one of my smaller jacket groupings. The silk scarf is the one he is wearing in the photos. I have quite a bit of research material for the 82nd FG including quite a few mission reports. This is one of 5 82nd FG groupings I have in my collection. I didn't really plan it that way. They just all kind of fell into my lap. I love the P-38 so it was A-OK with me! :thumbsup:

JD

Amazing stuff. Did this just come out of the woodwork, or was it from someone else's collection?

I'm relatively new to the board. I trust you saw the Pawn Stars where the guy brought in his dad's 82nd FG A2 and they tried to shrug it off as the 38 didn't fly in Italy.

Partial to the 428th FS, 474th FG myself :)

Johnny Signor

Well seeing as I'm being asked my opinion on the "drunk" Bugs patch , it's one of those types that could be several types, it could be a early "variation" of the nose art "Plastered Bastard" and what inspired the "nose art" later on or the artist who did the patch may have change the art from teh nose art , or as mentioned it could be an "HQ" Squadron type , without any "real" hard evidence it's makes for a real head scratcher to put a 100% PossitiveID on .

I tend to lean towards either an early vaiation of the nose art or the HQ patch .

Johnny

I have seen a few HQ/Sqd emblems designs .

Very nice group!! Thank you for sharing JD

As a sidebar about a month ago I was re-researching a 82nd F/G pilot from my collection and tried to check in to Terry Massick's

82nd website and noticed it was down. Hope its not permanent as that would be a real loss considering the amount of information that he had online.

CB

Very nice group!! Thank you for sharing JD

As a sidebar about a month ago I was re-researching a 82nd F/G pilot from my collection and tried to check in to Terry Massick's

82nd website and noticed it was down. Hope its not permanent as that would be a real loss considering the amount of information that he had online.

CB

CB,

I noticed that a couple weeks ago as well. It is/was one of the best Group sites out there. I'm with you, and hope it is not a permanent issue! They had some great info. and some photos as well. They were also nice enough to get me some copies of mission reports that were not on the Disc they used to sell.

Amazing stuff. Did this just come out of the woodwork, or was it from someone else's collection?

I'm relatively new to the board. I trust you saw the Pawn Stars where the guy brought in his dad's 82nd FG A2 and they tried to shrug it off as the 38 didn't fly in Italy.

Partial to the 428th FS, 474th FG myself :)

Thanks. I did see that pawn stars. They aren't the brightest on everything. That jacket was from the 97th FS and similar to one that I have in my collection. I'm hoping to post that grouping here as well fairly soon.

Ubelievably this jacket was originally sold on eBay about 6 or 7 years back by a family member. It was listed extremely poor with 2 blurry photos and very little info. I remember it well as I was waiting to bid when the dreaded computer lock up killed the purchase. Long story short is I had another chance to buy it from the eBay auction winner about 3 years ago. He made some money, and I put to bed alot of regrets! ;)

That is a real prize. Amazing piece of history.

Whenever I see some of these 70 year old flight jackets (and 70 years isn't all that old), I wonder what they will look like in another few decades? Is there some accepted means of preservation that will stop/slow down the leather deterioration? I would think, at a minimum, they should be kept on a torso form (as opposed to hanging in the closet). Leather can really go "goofy" over time in the wrong conditions.

Hello,

Fantastic grouping ! :thumbsup:

It fits perfectly in your amazing collection.

Congratulations and thank you for sharing.

Tim

Johnny Signor

Hey JDK, have you had a chance to make the close up scan of the "drunk " rabbit patch ??? when you get time no rush and thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny

Hey JDK, have you had a chance to make the close up scan of the "drunk " rabbit patch ??? when you get time no rush and thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny

Johnny,

I haven't forgotten about your request. I was busy working on getting some items listed on eBay over the weekend and ran out of time. 3 kids and my own business take up most of the weekdays. I'll try to get a nice closeup picture of the patch for you soon. Drop me a PM if you have any other questions. :thumbsup:

JD

Johnny Signor
Johnny,

I haven't forgotten about your request. I was busy working on getting some items listed on eBay over the weekend and ran out of time. 3 kids and my own business take up most of the weekdays. I'll try to get a nice closeup picture of the patch for you soon. Drop me a PM if you have any other questions. :thumbsup:

JD

Hey no problem amigo, I know life can get busy , so no hurry , whenever you get a chance and much thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny

Better photo of patch as promised. I obviously added my mark to the photo. Sadly that is how it has to be these days. Enjoy and thanks for all the positive comments! :thumbsup:
JD

post-2901-0-63671400-1398785917.jpg

Johnny Signor

Hey JD, much thanks for the close up , that is a really unique "take" on the Squadron's patch, the cactus in the background and the rabbit sitting with the bottle , a very nice find indeed !

Johnny

• 3 weeks later...