SVA - Small town mayor's decorations questioned

67Rally

Not that I really care, but this seems odd that a KW or VN vet would have a CdG medal. DSM seems to be a stretch, but isn't out of the question.

----------

As an improbable winner of a close and heated election in November, Cy Sun knows he faces an even tougher battle as Pacific's new mayor in the many weeks ahead.

He admits there is no honeymoon.

And now there is a growing controversy.

The 81-year-old Sun is a Korean and Vietnam war veteran whose campaign literature says he earned a Purple Heart – a distinguished service medal – and a rare Croix de Guerre, a French medal awarded to only a few Americans.

But several citizens, notably City Councilmember Gary Hulsey, are suspicious of the man's heroic military record, and want the newly elected mayor to prove it.

"I'm not out for blood, I'm out for the truth," said Hulsey, a Marine Corps veteran who served three tours of duty during the Vietnam War. "I have asked him to present his record, Army orders or citations. I would love to see him have these awards, and we can clear this up ... but there are too many phonies out there who claim to be veterans."

Sun earned a Silver Star – the third-highest combat military decoration that can be awarded to a U.S. soldier – while serving in the Korean War, according to research by Doug Sterner, a curator for the Military Times Hall of Valor in Alexandria, Va.

The U.S. Army's 2nd Infantry Division – Sun's outfit – doesn't list anyone with his name as a Silver Star recipient, Sterner pointed out, although he is listed by the Korean War Veterans Association.

More

--------

It seems to be nothing more than a political move.

El Bibliotecario

His name is Sun and he was in the 2d Inf Div...was he a KATUSA?

After all the posts I've read about folks obsessed with 'outing' people with bogus military records, it's refreshing to hear of someone with a reason for doing it...*laff*...good old dirty politics.