10 Victory US Navy Ace items uncovered!

larrystonebooks.com

larrystonebooks.com

I just picked up a great grouping to double Ace Arthur Singer Jr. You can view on eBay under my eBay username- larrystonebooks.com

post-365-1197432258.jpg

larrystonebooks.com
I just picked up a great grouping to double Ace Arthur Singer Jr. You can view on eBay under my eBay username- larrystonebooks.com
I don't know why the edit function is'nt working for me but here is his flight suit, named, with rigger applied poackets. - LarryThe next shot is the flight helmet shown in photo of Singer- There is a lot of material I'll be listing.

post-365-1197435193.jpg

post-365-1197435349.jpg

larrystonebooks.com
Nice Stuff Larry! Did you get his medals too ?

Kurt

Thanks Kurt! - the medals were not there, I have a feeling his wife may have sent them to Pensacola- Larry

larrystonebooks.com
< Here is the squadron patch for VF 15 "Satan's Playmates">

post-365-1197471127.jpg

Suit for 1136 usd... O God:(((

Almost seems like a bargain considering what a rigger modified M-42 jump jacket would go for.

Kurt

I wonder how much the grouping would have gone for it it wasn't butchered for profit, that would have been a museum quality group. Oh well heck with history its all about the $$$$$ ..

larrystonebooks.com
I wonder how much the grouping would have gone for it it wasn't butchered for profit, that would have been a museum quality group. Oh well heck with history its all about the $$$$$ ..

Wow- your right- it probably would've gone for less. But when you do this for a living full time, pay the estate dealer fairly, pay taxes on all of the sales and keep a kid in an expensive college profit is the prime motivator. I know a lot of you collectors like to brag about how you got the SS double decal from the widow for $50.00 and don't pay income or sales tax on your eBay business, so don't whine to me about "butchering for profit". I've got other things to worry about other than providing you with a group for a good deal.

I broke up a grouping of 35 WWII dated and some marked maps from an 82nd Airborne veteran. Yes, I could have kept them together and got far less for them and made one selfish collector very happy or... I can do what I did and break the grouping up and I made "many" collectors very happy. I supplied a letter and picture to every one of the collectors and what's really funny, not one of them complained about a grouping being broken up. And the extra money I made went to procure more items for my collection. You are right though... it is all about the $$$$$ without which none of us would have collections.

Larry,

You might be right it might have brought you less money and it's obvious that your not a collector but a dealer and thats what pays the bills for you. It is just , in my opinion wrong, to split up one mans stuff for profit. And as a dealer you know that some high end collector would have paid good money for the grouping from this ace. It s all about the quick buck, and thats why I'm not a dealer. No matter if it's right or wrong it happens everyday and in my opinion it sucks, that history is ruined.

Bugme, if you can justify what you do by selling pieces singley , good for you, again you must be a dealer and not a collector. Just because nobody voiced an opinion to you when you split up the maps, doesn;t make it right. Again this is my opinion and I am entitled to it, as you are yours.

THanks for your input..PAul

Bugme, if you can justify what you do by selling pieces singley , good for you, again you must be a dealer and not a collector. Just because nobody voiced an opinion to you when you split up the maps, doesn;t make it right. Again this is my opinion and I am entitled to it, as you are yours.

THanks for your input..PAul

And where do you buy your things from sir?... from dealers, right? Also, I am an avid collector and there are things I don't collect so, I sell them to buy the items I do collect. I'm sorry if this offends you or anyone else but, I went out and found this stuff not you. The maps were headed for an estate dumpster when I found them. Did you go there? Did you pay for them? Did you find them? The answer is: No. So, now a great many collectors have a piece of history to preserve and to show. Now you say that we're wrong? But, I guess as you have so aptly put it, that's just my opinion.

Bugme,

Not trying to start a flame war, just expressing "my opinion" which I am entitled to, right? Again I say this, you are entitled to do what every you like with your items, your collection, and I am entitled to my opinion and I find it wrong to break up history. Again my opinion. I'm glad you rescued the maps from the dumpster, hooray for you, I'm glad collectors got them , hooray for you, and I'm glad you can support your military collecting habit with the proceeds. I still don't think it's right, you obviously have no problem with it, and really I don't know why I bother to voice my opinion. Thanks again for the reply. Paul

I strongly believe this is not the same flight suit as in the photo...two points, first there is no evidence of the white boarder around hip pocket and second note how the dome snaps gleam/shine in the photo and on the flight suit pictured they are clearly black ionized(?) and would not reflect light as what is i am seeing in the photo.I am in no way making a claim that they are fake just they are not the same.

Bugme,

Not trying to start a flame war, just expressing "my opinion" which I am entitled to, right? Again I say this, you are entitled to do what every you like with your items, your collection, and I am entitled to my opinion and I find it wrong to break up history. Again my opinion. I'm glad you rescued the maps from the dumpster, hooray for you, I'm glad collectors got them , hooray for you, and I'm glad you can support your military collecting habit with the proceeds. I still don't think it's right, you obviously have no problem with it, and really I don't know why I bother to voice my opinion. Thanks again for the reply. Paul

Wow, for someone not wanting to start a flame war you fired a pretty good first volley! Lets just say we agree to disagree and leave it at that. Besides, we're going the wrong direction on this thread. ;)

larrystonebooks.com
I strongly believe this is not the same flight suit as in the photo...two points, first there is no evidence of the white boarder around hip pocket and second note how the dome snaps gleam/shine in the photo and on the flight suit pictured they are clearly black ionized(?) and would not reflect light as what is i am seeing in the photo.I am in no way making a claim that they are fake just they are not the same.

That was pointed out in the eBay auction- Larry

Bugme,

DITTO!

CNY Militaria

Just to throw my two cents in here (and this is directed at no one in particular, just my belief)... I know a number of individuals personally who are notorious for buying groups, just to split them up and make a quick buck. I consider them dealers, and not even remotely collectors. Collectors are more interested in keeping things together for the purpose of history and money is just a benefit in the long run. I agree that sometimes its OK to split up groups if there is no attainable history behind it, or the items are "cheap" in terms of quality to where its not a significant group nor worth shipping altogether. But when "good" groups are split up, it is a shame IMO. Just remember, if you were the vet would you want your estate of militaria parted out all over the place or all together with someone who will appreciate it? Again, this is directed at no one, and this is just a personal belief.

vintageproductions

Everyone has their opinions on this subject and unfortunately they mean well, but tend to come across the wrong way. I can see both sides, but as a dealer I can also see Larry's point more so. Larry had called me right after he bought this group to tell me about it. When he told me what he paid for it, from the estate dealer, in my mind it was more then 99% of the collectors would ever have spent on it. What was he to do, sit on his investment and wait years for someone to buy the group or do what he did? As dealers no matter what we do, we are the bad guys. Collectors run to us to buy what they like and want, but no matter what a dealer does we are condemned for making a living. When the family had this estate sale, they were the ones who decided the items didn't mean anything and just wanted it gone. Larry was the first person in the sale and was able to purchase it as a group. What should he have done, be a nice guy and donate it to a local museum? Well, as bad as this sounds, that doesn't pay the bills, and chances are if it was given to a museum for a tax write off, it would get put into a back room and some unscrupulous employee would steal it and sell it for a quick buck. The way everyone attacks dealers on all forums, not just here, it is amazing to me. As dealers we are the ones traveling all over the country/world, trying to bring new items on the market. We are the ones putting out loads of money maintaining our business location(s), advertising, printing, insurance, website maintenance, show fees to set-up at shows, travel expenses, time cultivating relationships with various sellers, and so many more expenses I could fill a page. All of this takes time, money, effort and is by no means an easy job, sometimes not even profitable. In reality, we DO have a love of history, which is the driving force behind why we do this. I guess I just would like it if collectors could remember that we are businessmen, we respect the items we sell, but we do have families to support and bills to pay, just as all of you do.

a question of protocol:

So when us non dealers (i.e. collectors) decide to sell something on ebay, do we have the right to cross market our goods on this site? I am not trying to poke sticks in eyes here, but I have already seen the demise of one collector website drown under the weight of dealer management.

I believe certain things can be split up and other things should not. If you get a large uniform group.... how many pairs of OD green socks should you keep with a group ? If you get a group with 5 sets of wings... how many do you keep ? If the guy had 10 different uniform sets.... how many do you keep ??? When you get a huge pile of equipment with a group.... do you keep it all? I tend to sell off certain items to help reduce my investment, however I keep the core of the group together. I keep the Medals, a uniform set , the documents , and a set of insignia . One time I bought a group with a bunch of paper in it and there were 3 IKE D-Day letters. I sold 2 of them and it paid for the whole group and I kept the rest. I have split up stuff and on the other side of the coin, I have spent hours on the phone tracking items down to put a group back together.

One instance where I draw the line is splitting up medal groups. WHY DO IT???

Kurt

• 3 years later...

I think the best way would be put all items from Arthur Singer on one auction and put together great grouping! For sure the price would be also very high!!! But now all items went to another collectors and one of the best grouping gone :(((

My argument would be this....why not try to sell a grouping in one lot? Name your price, or put a high price on it and stress that you'll be open to offers. People look at everything as a lottery ticket.

I can understand selling off the extra Eisenhower D-day letters.....that doesn't hurt the integrity of the grouping.

FWIW.....

Here's something that I just don't understand- why in the world would we resurrect a three year old thread to opine about how something should have been sold all those years ago? :blink:

Sure, the archives are great for reading, but why bring this back to the top for yet another round of dealer vs collector opinions regarding breaking up groups?

OK, off the soapbox and looking for my meds.

Allan