New show COMBAT CASH starts January 11

Bob Hudson

This was a great pair of shows. They were well-produced, well-paced, and obviously focused on having fun. Like any made-for-TV endeavor, there were times that a little Hollywood storytelling made itself obvious, but it was fun nonetheless. Good job, guys. I've set my DVR to record the season. I look forward to being a loyal viewer of what promises to be a great series!

John

Jumping for the first time .

Did the same back in 1982 in Arizona but was a static line jump. At least you had more color than me after the jump. I was as white as a ghost.

As I stated, I agree with Kurt, the Colonel, and firebase. I realize that might be a minority opinion. That does NOT mean I detest the show or will never watch again. I also know that a TV show just can't be about canteens, medals, or even great groups....and without a good market share rating wise, one season will be 'it', and we'll all be bemoaning the fact that it only lasted for one.

I just hope, first that it's a success, and second, that it finds a happy medium between 'entertainment' and 'informative', with more buying/selling/trading.

That formula seems to work well for the above mentioned shows (Pawn/Pickers/Storage) and even Roadshow.

Again, this isn't meant as some sort of 'slam' or anything else. But many of these shows nowadays are focusing on the 'everyman' concept (notice this in the last few years? Oil rigs, lumberjacks, guys who build stuff, even Pawn/Pickers/Storage started out really as a bunch of blue collar folks...) and that seems to be the more popular (ratings wise..has to be or they wouldn't survive) way to go. At least for now, until the next 'fad' comes along anyway.

Then again, who the heck am I anyway? LOL.

Yep, but I can still express my opinion about what I would like to see as a collector. That doesnt mean some of that cant be woven in and in turn become something the public might be interested in too.

2 words......" Antiques Roadshow" .... it appeals to both segments of the population. Combat Cash should never follow the Antiques Roadshow format, but I assume you understand my point.

Kurt

I agree with Kurt.

We are collectors after all, maybe picky ones at times but we love our history. I would like to see more history woven in to the show regarding the items, probably won't happen but it would appeal to many of us collectors.

RC

Here's my take on it. Riding in Tanks, jumping from an airplane, attending the re-enactment...these are things I don't see when I'm out militaria hunting. I can watch myself buying normal militaria anytime, but don't get to see things like this!! Good on ya!!

LOL, Speaking for Myself, I do that stuff at work so I would rather see buying 'normal' militaria as that is My hobby. Perspective. I understand the entertainment part and just hope it does not get to the level of having a "Sons of Guns" idiot in the show. BTW, was that Marcie Manion with the Iraqi canvas? Will be watching next week.

I'll keep watching it, but I didn't care much for the Garand "ping" line. Supposing one could hear the ping from 30-100 yards away over the sounds of a firefight, as quick as one is to reload, and given that a man with an empty M1 had buddies with Thompsons, Carbines, BARs, M1919s and M1s that were likely not empty, well, let's just say that I have NEVER heard a vet actually say that a German or Japanese jumped up and ran at him because his Garand went ping.

Overall, pretty positive reaction with me overall. I liked it OK.

I agree, I cringed when I heard that line as well. I also questioned some of the values they showed for some items, but we all know that values can vary wildly from one part of the country to another (a topic that was brought up when mentioning buying an item in Ohio and selling it in SoCal). It was the only moment in the show I questioned, so it was an hour well spent!

I do understand why they focused on ‘big ticket’ items like that, but I hope eventually they’ll show how even tiny little objects like patches or medals can also be worth even more than the Sherman tank at the start of the show. I think that will really shock normal people how much, say, a documented named Merrill’s Marauders patch or a V-42 knife can be worth.

In all, it was a good show and I’ll be sure to watch it regularly. If I had primary complaint is that it’s on too late. Rob, I know all too well you have nothing to do with that, but lots of military collectors are getting on in age or have jobs they have to get up early for. I fall under the latter category (for now) and had to stay up later than normal to see this. In the future I think I’ll watch it on demand. I think this will do well to show our hobby in a good light and portray folks like us as not the scary, unsafe bubbas you see on other shows such as “Sons of Guns.” We needed something to show this is simply antique collecting in a slightly different field of interest and not something that should put ‘normal’ folks on edge. I expect good things from this show and I feel it will be a very positive thing for the hobby in general. Rob did a good job, as always!

Kammo man [Owen] reminds me of the Russian Lt Col in the movie RAMBO part II

he looks kind of like that actor Steven Berkoff when he wore that camo jump suit :thumbsup:

THANK YOU, I seriously kept looking at him on the show, thinking he reminded me of someone and I couldn't figure out who! :lol:

I didn't care for the show at all. I just kept shaking my head through the whole thing. The gratuitous car crushing, the ridiculous looking "replica" Japanese tank, the Nazi dinosaurs, the parachute jump, the rather uncomfortable looking medic helmet transaction, and the "D-Day" theatrics, etc. Sorry, but I just found the show to be a farce. Most of the deals seemed to involve a thousand dollars or more. Certainly not what the average collector has available to maintain his hobby and gives an inaccurate impression about how much this stuff is worth. It makes it harder on the collector when sellers have a unrealistic expectations about the value of their items and this show certainly doesn't help the situation.

vintageproductions
LOL, Speaking for Myself, I do that stuff at work so I would rather see buying 'normal' militaria as that is My hobby. Perspective. I understand the entertainment part and just hope it does not get to the level of having a "Sons of Guns" idiot in the show. BTW, was that Marcie Manion with the Iraqi canvas? Will be watching next week.

No, it's Marcie Conway - Phillips

I didn't care for the show at all. I just kept shaking my head through the whole thing. The gratuitous car crushing, the ridiculous looking "replica" Japanese tank, the Nazi dinosaurs, the parachute jump, the rather uncomfortable looking medic helmet transaction, and the "D-Day" theatrics, etc. Sorry, but I just found the show to be a farce. Most of the deals seemed to involve a thousand dollars or more. Certainly not what the average collector has available to maintain his hobby and gives an inaccurate impression about how much this stuff is worth. It makes it harder on the collector when sellers have a unrealistic expectations about the value of their items and this show certainly doesn't help the situation.

With all due respect I think that the point of the show is all the crazy stuff you mentioned presented in a way that the masses will want to watch. The show is not for collectors per say it's for the millions of people who don't collect. They are trying to make money here. It is not a show for the average collector. Such a show would not survive past week one. The women I know ( they do not collect militaria ) loved the show. When I asked them to watch it with me they were very skeptical and not motivated to do so. But when they saw how light hearted it was they sat through both shows and want to watch the next show. To be honest with you they thought the show was going to be about boring military junk. But instead they got a fast paced action packed show that kept them entertained. That is how 99% of the population are going to view this show and they will watch, ratings will go up, sponsors will invest, money will be made and the show will stay on the air. But if you have a show that teaches people about the hobby only us collectors will watch that and the following week we can watch " Women Who Snapped " because the militaria teaching show was canceled.

This is TV pure and simple. And for TV its D**** good.

M

Well the show has already had a good turn of events for me. I got a phone call today from one of the antique co-ops I have a spot in. There was an older couple there wanting to sell some military items. I drove to the co-op and bought a box full of mostly WWII era field gear and a few odd items. The man told me he was up late and saw a show called "Combat Cash" and when he saw the D-Day re-enactment it reminded him of a bunch of stuff he had in the basement.

Thanks, Bob - Owen !

Please show some killer bullion patches when you can. I have a good feeling! :thumbsup:

Well the show has already had a good turn of events for me. I got a phone call today from one of the antique co-ops I have a spot in. There was an older couple there wanting to sell some military items. I drove to the co-op and bought a box full of mostly WWII era field gear and a few odd items. The man told me he was up late and saw a show called "Combat Cash" and when he saw the D-Day re-enactment it reminded him of a bunch of stuff he had in the basement.

Thanks, Bob - Owen !

Please show some killer bullion patches when you can. I have a good feeling! :thumbsup:

Good for you and did you have to pay outrageous money for it ??? Bet you didn't.

For me thats what its all about. TV show helps collector

Good report tigerfan.

M

When they had scenes inside Bob's shop my eyes were bugging out of my head! :w00t: thats one helluva shop you have Bob :thumbsup: some great items and racks full of camo. ill have to make the trip to see it. is it open by appointments only or...?

Philip

Being in the UK I've yet to have the opportunity to view the show but I have followed developments with interest and I have read all of the reviews and comments that have been posted thus far. I'm pleased to see that the vast majority are positive. To paraphrase the late, great Abe Lincoln, it seems....

"You can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not please all of the people all of the time!"

Meanwhile, I look forward with eager anticipation to its European premiere! :thumbsup:

Too Much WW1 Militaria

For me, I didn't care for it at the start, and turned it off after about 15 mins. Then again, I can't stand any of this "reality" TV anyway. Just a guess here, this won't last just based on a lack of viewing audience. Just based on the number of collectors, it appeals to a small part of the viewing population. Let's face it, most of the general population has a passing interest in this hobby, other than the making money off of it angle.

John

Dirt Detective

Ok I gotta ask, what was with the way the British Bloke was dressed? :unsure: it made him look a bit daft with those clothes. :lol: Did anyone else notice Owens M1 carbine didn't have a rear site? Site or not you looked prototypical of an American G.I. and looked good. :thumbsup:

For me, I didn't care for it at the start, and turned it off after about 15 mins. Then again, I can't stand any of this "reality" TV anyway. Just a guess here, this won't last just based on a lack of viewing audience. Just based on the number of collectors, it appeals to a small part of the viewing population. Let's face it, most of the general population has a passing interest in this hobby, other than the making money off of it angle.

John

Which is exactly why they crushed a camaro and leaped out of a plane to try to hold the general publics short attention span!....mike :thumbsup:

Ok I gotta ask, what was with the way the British Bloke was dressed? :unsure: it made him look a bit daft with those clothes. :lol:

Yeah, the British guy seemed a little off...He kind of reminded me of Bilbo Baggins....No disrespect to Sir Ian Holm, though...

post-29885-1326469979.jpg

Ok I gotta ask, what was with the way the British Bloke was dressed? :unsure: it made him look a bit daft with those clothes.

That was filmed here in Southern California: as in New York City, such dress doesn't even draw a second glance from the locals.

was the repro WWII Japanese tank body made of wood or steel? or some type of fiberglass material

by the looks of it manuevering around so quickly it appeared lighter than an original