New show COMBAT CASH starts January 11

Bob Hudson

This is not a show for collectors !!!! We are a tiny segment of the population. These people want a successful show ( It has to make Money ) so they have to appeal to a wider audience. The stuff they showed and the way it was presented shows showmanship. It was exciting to people who are not privy to the ins and outs of everyday collecting. A show for collectors would be sold on DVD because the general public would find it boring. They have to have big exiting items because the normal everyday stuff will go over like a lead balloon. All the other shows show mostly high end items. If someone brought in their Avon, Wheat Penny or common pocket knife collection to Pawn Stars who is going to watch that. They get unusual fire arms and then shoot them. We watch to see if it is going to blow up in their face. Now that is exiting TV.

Now people are going to tune in to see what Owen does next. " Did you see that nut last week ?? He jumped out of an airplane to get a bicycle !!! " Now that is exiting TV.

This is TV for crying out loud. If you want to see more military stuff go to a Max Show seminar.

I think that some people have unrealistic expectations about this show.

It is for entertainment !!!! For the masses.

Does that make sense ???

M

This is not a show for collectors !!!! We are a tiny segment of the population. These people want a successful show ( It has to make Money ) so they have to appeal to a wider audience. The stuff they showed and the way it was presented shows showmanship. It was exciting to people who are not privy to the ins and outs of everyday collecting. A show for collectors would be sold on DVD because the general public would find it boring. They have to have big exiting items because the normal everyday stuff will go over like a lead balloon. All the other shows show mostly high end items. If someone brought in their Avon, Wheat Penny or common pocket knife collection to Pawn Stars who is going to watch that. They get unusual fire arms and then shoot them. We watch to see if it is going to blow up in their face. Now that is exiting TV.

Now people are going to tune in to see what Owen does next. " Did you see that nut last week ?? He jumped out of an airplane to get a bicycle !!! " Now that is exiting TV.

This is TV for crying out loud. If you want to see more military stuff go to a Max Show seminar.

I think that some people have unrealistic expectations about this show.

It is for entertainment !!!! For the masses.

Does that make sense ???

M

Yep, but I can still express my opinion about what I would like to see as a collector. That doesnt mean some of that cant be woven in and in turn become something the public might be interested in too.

2 words......" Antiques Roadshow" .... it appeals to both segments of the population. Combat Cash should never follow the Antiques Roadshow format, but I assume you understand my point.

Kurt

Yep, but I can still express my opinion about what I would like to see as a collector. That doesnt mean some of that cant be woven in and in turn become something the public might be interested in too.

2 words......" Antiques Roadshow" .... it appeals to both segments of the population. Combat Cash should never follow the Antiques Roadshow format, but I assume you understand my point.

Kurt

I agree with Kurt on this one It makes it more widely known that there is a segment of people who collect military items. I like how it shows some of the items just for the sake of knowing that they are out there if u can afford them.

Kurt,

I agree with you about getting things from vets or groupings that tell an exiting story.

That would appeal to everyone not just collectors. I give speeches and use my groupings to tell peoples stories. I only use the most interesting ones and people love to hear exiting, funny or tragic stories. I get very favorable comments afterwards especially from women and girls. They love a good story.

My point is is that the producers have to find stuff that is interesting and exiting or the show won't last. That won't always please the collector.

M

Will have to watch another couple of shows before deciding yea or nay.

First impression was a little disappointed and not what I was expecting.

Hopefully things will get better with time and looking at the various areas of militaria

besides the BIG ticket items.

Kurt,

I agree with you about getting things from vets or groupings that tell an exiting story.

That would appeal to everyone not just collectors. I give speeches and use my groupings to tell peoples stories. I only use the most interesting ones and people love to hear exiting, funny or tragic stories. I get very favorable comments afterwards especially from women and girls. They love a good story.

My point is is that the producers have to find stuff that is interesting and exiting or the show won't last. That won't always please the collector.

M

I completely agree,

Kurt

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

I thought the show was terrible...when's the next showing? ;)

It was good to see a couple familiar faces and know that I rented a weapon from Gary for a reenactment battle.

Good show guys!

Come on up to NorCal and show off Wally's place in Petaluma.

Rock

I think the biggest thing that every comment has missed so far is that a show about militaria actually had women in it! How many shows have we been to and you only see one or two of our poor wives/girlfriends reluctantly dragged behind or stuck behind a table? Owen and Bob actually spoke to a real woman that had military items for sale and she knew the history behind the item. That is probably more rare than an original Ha-Go tank that runs!

Once again, great show. I look forward to the next ones and getting an appointment to visit the shop.

I personally liked the Japanese War Crimes (Sugamo prison) jacket hanging in the background of the in-store negotiations.

Thanks guys and great job!

I think the biggest thing that every comment has missed so far is that a show about militaria actually had women in it!

FYI: the co-founder of this forum is a woman who knows more about militaria and military history than most of us ever will.

FYI: the co-founder of this forum is a woman who knows more about militaria and military history than most of us ever will.

Amen! :thumbsup:

Very true!

Kurt

Having that young lady on the show was a coup !!! Glad you mentioned it because that put a totally different face on who the collectors are and I for one like that.

Are there any plans for clips from the show to be uploaded onto YouTube like with "Mail Call" and "Lock 'n' Load" etc? I'm beginning to feel "deprived" over here in the UK! :(

Sorry hopefully they will. They it for gold rush.

While I thoroughly enjoyed the first two shows, they weren't what I had expected. They seemed formulaic (Pawn Stars, American Restoration, etc.) and didn't spend time on militaria items (at least in the realm of Joe Average's budget/interests). It seemed quite rehearsed (the bicycle and "having to make a jump" to buy the bike felt extremely staged from start to finish).

I hope this show continues and that it starts working in some other angles that truly shed light on collecting and perhaps even educating the audience. I do look forward to the next episodes and wish the guys all the success with the show and their business. :thumbsup:

Have to agree, the show isn't quite what I had expected either. I understand it has to be played up a bit with skits/challenges to keep a general audience interested, but looks to much like other familiar shows on already. Wish the "shop" could be opened up to the general public to see charachters that would walk in like in real life.

Standing by to see what happens in the next episodes............ ;)

I liked the show and I think its off to a good start. Here are some of my reasons. (1) I finally get to see what Bob looks like after sending $$$ of my dollars for some very cool Vietnam militaria. (2) Seeing the inside of the shop, The rack of tiger jackets had me drooling. (3) Seeing the Camaro crushed was not so bad, now if it was a pristine 69 Z/28 that would be another story. Not bad for a start.

We have to remember that these two episodes were the show's pilot. Like all of our favorite shows, they become better with time. How often is the case when one contrasts a television show's first season with say....season six - much change usually takes place in the evolution of the program.

Like I said before, this was a fantastic start! :thumbsup:

Here's my take on it. Riding in Tanks, jumping from an airplane, attending the re-enactment...these are things I don't see when I'm out militaria hunting. I can watch myself buying normal militaria anytime, but don't get to see things like this!! Good on ya!!