New show COMBAT CASH starts January 11

Bob Hudson

Now if only it was shot in Alaska.

I am saying this only in humor so don't jump on me... Everyone knows the best reality shows are all done in Alaska... :)

Best of luck with the show

Now if only it was shot in Alaska.

I am saying this only in humor so don't jump on me... Everyone knows the best reality shows are all done in Alaska... :)

Best of luck with the show

In a future episode they will have Momma Grizzly lead them on a search for lost canteens on Attu Island.

Very entertaining and nicely done!

*Had two phone calls and an email from friends who caught the show and were suprised at the variety and interest in militaria. One said he now understood why my garage looked like a DRMO lot!

Looking forward to the next episodes!

Brian Dentino

I too liked the show.....very entertaining. My wife said she thought that you two were funny, and enjoyed it as well. Hope to see many more episodes in the future.

thanks u guys for bringing the best hobbie in this world to life :)

Thanks everyone for the positive comments .

Please remember we are both Forum members for a reason .

We both LOVE this hobby and give 100% back in both knowledge and simply love of the hobby .

Bob and myself both have a complex understanding of the BIG picture .......but will melt at the sight of a variation stitch on a single patch !!!!

I know you all are the same , thats why we even bother to come and post here .

Debate is a good thing , but honestly we gave it our best effort , not only to make Militaria seem cool , but to have a good laugh .

And thats more important that prices than anything .

Humor .

owen

What we as collectors have to realize is that the show is not just for us but millions of people who know nothing about the hobby. I think that the producers of the show have created something that appeals to a wide range of watchers. They can't spend all day talking about and analyzing a particular item. The general public would loose interest. So many on this thread have commented about how much their wives loved the show. That is a testimony to how well this show was done. If they spent anytime, for instance, on the Medic helmet bails or liner or color of the webbing or how it was painted or any other details, they would loose the general public. We love that stuff but the general public would be bored.

So great job on a show that will reach a wide viewership including our female partners.

M

What we as collectors have to realize is that the show is not just for us but millions of people who know nothing about the hobby. I think that the producers of the show have created something that appeals to a wide range of watchers. They can't spend all day talking about and analyzing a particular item. The general public would loose interest. So many on this thread have commented about how much their wives loved the show. That is a testimony to how well this show was done. If they spent anytime, for instance, on the Medic helmet bails or liner or color of the webbing or how it was painted or any other details, they would loose the general public. We love that stuff but the general public would be bored.

So great job on a show that will reach a wide viewership including our female partners.

M

Well said, you hit the nail on the head!........mike :thumbsup:

Kammo man [Owen] reminds me of the Russian Lt Col in the movie RAMBO part II

he looks kind of like that actor Steven Berkoff

when he wore that camo jump suit :thumbsup:

post-1885-1326390122.gif

Like the rest of you, I really enjoyed the show and look forward to future episodes. It'll be interesting to see what influence a show like this will have on militaria values on the open market. Coincidentially, there's an Airborne Bicycle currently listed on ebay, like the one depicted in last night's show. I'll be curious to see the closing bid. With one day left, the price stands at $2,295.00. (Ebay #190624633404).

__KGrHqNHJ_sE7yCShryfBPB2J9Zmpw__60_3_1_.jpg

yep....pure

WIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!

watched the first episode with the wife.....she still thinks I am crazy.....but now she knows

I am in good company :D

GREAT JOB!!

Yes, I loved both shows! But, like you, my wife watched them too and kept nagging me, "you see, these guys are smart! They sell their stuff and are making big bucks! So why do you have these helmets just sitting in my bedroom!! Why can't you sell that stuff like these guys?" Just as good a reality show as any of the others and it is all about my hobby!" You guys have some great contacts and one heck of a nice store!

Cheers to you both!

Mike

Overall, I enjoyed the shows. I loved the interplay and the humor.

My only issue is that the focus was really on "big ticket" items. The overwhelming majority of people who collect and enjoy militaria will never think of buying a tank or a $4500 bicycle. We collect the smaller items - MILSURP weapons and parts, field gear, uniforms, patches, awards and other items that encompass the majority of militaria for sale on the market. It just seems that by focusing on those larger items, you'll ignore the vast majority of people who can/will make up your target demographic. Those are the people who will come back week after week - and you are more likely to get someone interested in collecting militaria by starting on the lower end of the scale than on someone running out and dropping $45k on a repro tank.

Personally, I enjoy watching Pawn Stars, American Pickers and Storage Wars because they offer a wide variety of items - some that I would buy today and some that I'd never be able to afford or even want. But, the variety is there to hold everyone's interest. I just didn't see that in the 1st two episodes.

Just my own $.02. As they say, opinions are like buttholes (gotta love the autocensoring software) ...we all have them. That's mine. :lol:

My only issue is that the focus was really on "big ticket" items. The overwhelming majority of people who collect and enjoy militaria will never think of buying a tank or a $4500 bicycle.

True, I'll never own a Sherman and really have no desire for a $4500 WWII Brit bicycle. However, I doubt that many people would tune into the show if the focus each week was on web-gear, garrison caps and canteens. But, myself and the general public will watch a show with a cool privately owned tank or to see the A/B bike(which few people know about) or watch these guys parachute out of a WWII era C-47. ;)

I'm not disagreeing - but I saw no balance and, just speaking personally, I won't keep watching a show like this when I see nothing that I feel can directly relate to "me." IMHO, the ability to click with all of the market segments is the key to the success of Pickers, Pawn Stars and Storage Wars.

Again, I recognize this is just my own opinion. Take it for just that. It differs from many - actually most - here. But, I offer it for consideration.

teufelhunde.ret
I'm not disagreeing - but I saw no balance and, just speaking personally, I won't keep watching a show like this when I see nothing that I feel can directly relate to "me." IMHO, the ability to click with all of the market segments is the key to the success of Pickers, Pawn Stars and Storage Wars.

Again, I recognize this is just my own opinion. Take it for just that. It differs from many - actually most - here. But, I offer it for consideration.

I see your point, I would offer for your consideration, this is just the start (hopefully) of the series and in order for to be a success it must have mass market appeal. In the interest of balance, yes we did see the "talent" making several small purchases at the tables during the Ohio event and taking them back to Ca to sell at a profit. So there was some balance and you will undoubtedly see more, of the same, as the producers and writers move along in the series. Speaking of which, in the Pickers recent show they bought / sold a 10K elephant head. How many folks can relate to that... :blink:

Dirt Detective

You bring up good points but the show is young and lets see where it goes. I would have like to see them spend more time talking to the D-Day guys, looking at the gear they have and more important WHY they reeinact. How about buying a cool blade marked M3? Something i can afford :w00t: :w00t:

Edited: Well maybe not, have you see the prices of quality blade marked knives?

I understand that these were the first 2 shows - all I offered was my opinion on what I saw and felt about them...personally. I have no idea what the next shows will be like..and in the end no one has to care what I think.

And, as for Pickers, for every high priced item they buy - elephant head, car, motorcycle, etc, - they buy 5 smaller items. And, they take the time to talk about them all and educate the watchers about them. So, even those people who can't afford the elephant head see that they can get involved in this type of thing, too. It's about playing to the larger market, not just the more elite collector.

Again, I am only offering my opinion. It's obviously not what the majority of people want to hear. My understanding was that the idea was to express our honest reaction. That's what I have done.

While I thoroughly enjoyed the first two shows, they weren't what I had expected. They seemed formulaic (Pawn Stars, American Restoration, etc.) and didn't spend time on militaria items (at least in the realm of Joe Average's budget/interests). It seemed quite rehearsed (the bicycle and "having to make a jump" to buy the bike felt extremely staged from start to finish).

I hope this show continues and that it starts working in some other angles that truly shed light on collecting and perhaps even educating the audience. I do look forward to the next episodes and wish the guys all the success with the show and their business. :thumbsup:

While I thoroughly enjoyed the first two shows, they weren't what I had expected. They seemed formulaic (Pawn Stars, American Restoration, etc.) and didn't spend time on militaria items (at least in the realm of Joe Average's budget/interests). It seemed quite rehearsed (the bicycle and "having to make a jump" to buy the bike felt extremely staged from start to finish).

Unfortunately, this is a necessary evil. They have to obtain the right camera angles, make the dialogue interesting, etc., so multiple takes will happen that make it seem staged, which partially it is.

Imagine the times you’ve made purchases from or sold to a dealer, antique shop or flea market vendor. Probably goes something like this:

Buyer - How Much for this whatzit?

Seller - $20

Buyer – Here you go (hands over $20)

-End Scene-

Not very exciting, huh? So they have to spruce it up a bit. Show a little haggling to make it appear they are getting the best price, add a little story to string the heart chords, etc.

At the end of the day, I'm sure these events really happen and there is truth to the story, but it has to be Hollywood’'d up a bit for the viewers. Personally, I find it entertaining and it would probably be pretty boring just to show a shaky camera view of a military show, with the scene I’ve described above, happening over and over again for 20 minutes straight….

I’m sure over time as Bob and Owen get into the groove of things, the show will expand more to include something that will interest the broad spectrum of us collectors; from small items like uniforms and headgear to larger items like tanks and planes. Basically, the show needs some time to grow, however IMO, I think it’s off to a good start and captured the essence of what our wacky hobby is about!

The one challenge I can see with trying to use a formula with more segments about " the general public bringing in items to them to buy" with Bob and Owen talking about the items and making offers, is foot traffic at the shop. It comes naturally with a pawn shop, but not with militaria shops. I think they will definately see an uptick in people wanting to see the store, but it would need to have regular hours and enough stuff would have to come through the door for them to buy to make it interesting. Having the camera crew at the SOS etc watching them in action , would make more sense.

The segments about tanks ETC are necessary to keep the general public interested in the show.

My son, who is a member of the "general public" loved those segments.

As a military historian and collector , I want to see more segments about "stuff" and especially some atttributed groupings with background information about the vet interwoven into the story.

Keep up the good work!

Kurt

Dirt Detective
Again, I am only offering my opinion. It's obviously not what the majority of people want to hear. My understanding was that the idea was to express our honest reaction. That's what I have done.

I want to hear them and agree with most of what you said. I would think the people involved with the show would want to hear ALL opinions. :thumbsup: