I Had This Idea...

Ngrovcam

Hey all!

Im Nick and I am a 14 year old collector from Maryland...I tend to think about history alot especially military history. I was thinking today about all of the Vets I know who have lost or sold or thrown away their uniforms, gear etc. And I could only see history repeating itself with OIF and OEF vets. So I have decided to (In addition to VN collecting and WWII Bussiness) To collect OIF/OEF Uniforms and Gear in order to make a Museum/Archive of these era's in history by going to the vets and asking to buy their stuff or even buying it online. please let me know what you think. thanks,

Nick C.

Thinking ahead! :thumbsup:

It's always the same. People are often not interested in preserving current items because they are so abundant and we think "why pile all this stuff if I can get it anywhere for cheap whenever I want it?" And than after some decades you suddenly realise that all that stuff seems to have disappeared from the face of the earth. And you hid yourself in the head for throwing away all that beautiful stuff years ago!!

So if you have the space to store/display it and you enjoy it, go for it!! After 15 years we can all drool at your massive OIF/OEF collection! :thumbsup:

... collect OIF/OEF Uniforms and Gear in order to make a Museum/Archive of these era's in history by going to the vets and asking to buy their stuff or even buying it online. please let me know what you think.

What I think, or have learned, is this:

There are a good many militaria collectors with the same idea, some of whom have deep pockets and untold numbers of established contacts.

For example, in the category of patch collecting alone, current prices for theater pieces are (in my opinion) often 2-4 or more times higher than need be. But then, as some will be quick to say, "A fair price is whatever you can get for it."

I'm guessing that low-key poking around and looking in the usual discount shops over the next few years AFTER we leave Afghanistan (especially) will be the place to search. As always, too, this very website will be one place to come across reasonable prices a good part of the time.

Unless money is no object, of course...

One other thought that may come in handy. "Sjef" gave some good advice up above too. What I've noticed among collectors of Vietnam or Korea or WWII artifacts is that quite often the less hotshot items (e.g. C-rations, personal equipment like razors etc.) and other "smaller" stuff really does get ignored in favor of the full dress combat patched 1st pattern something-or-other. If it were mine to do, I might be thinking along those lines too. Today, unless things change for some strange reason, GWOT equipment such as knives, helmets and so forth are already selling at fairly high dollars.

The small stuff may not demand the higher values on resale years from now, but it may be just as or more rare as any of the star-studded items everybody is always after.

Dust settling usually has a downward effect on many, but not all, things we'd all be interested in.

Again, unless money is no object.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting topic Ngrovcam, and a lot of foresight. I was thinking along the same line when I bought some modern helmets. I searched around for helmets with 3rd div patches -

They may not be worth anything in my lifetime, but marked gear always seems to bring a premium over non-marked.

13rd.jpg

You would be surprise at how many people collects the Ox2 items.

Back in 1991, I had the exact same idea you did and started buying Desert Storm militaria. The prices were cheap and the variety of items you could get was incredible. Fast forward to 2012, the prices people are paying for DS items are ridiculous. Painted Iraqi helmets routinely sell for $100 to $150. There is no way I could afford those items at the prices now. I am glad I started back in the day and built my collection then.

As far as OEF/OIF items, I have been doing the same as I did with DS and started collecting as soon as the first round of soldiers started coming home. I travel to Army bases that are relatively close and hit all the pawn, thrift, and surplus shops I can find. You'd be suprised at what you can find for a few bucks. I also know of several other USMF members who do the same and they have amassed amazing collections.

Like Merc and Bluehawk have said, you'd be suprised at how many people collect OEF/OIF items. I didn't realize how many people did until a surplus shop owner clued me in and told me that he had dozens of people come to his shop everyday looking for the same stuff that I was. I think a lot of them are dealers looking for items to put on Ebay, but you still have a group of hard core collectors who are adding these items to their collections now.

My only advice is to buy what you like , start buying NOW, and try to get as much information (provenance) from the vet/seller as possible. Provenance is important because it allows us to preserve the history of the item for future generations.

I wish you the best of luck on your endeavor and please keep us posted on what you find. I always enjoy seeing what others find. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

I have officially gotten this project off the ground all thanks to a letter I wrote to the Iraq Afghanistan veterans of america iava. I have support they said they will talk to vets and members about donations...I am so happy not just for me but for history

Nick c.

I can't much more to the above, but good luck.

As stated above, for some reason people seem to be adverse to collecting material from their current time period. History is happening every day... what is current now will be a thing of the past in few short years.

If you talk to some of the long standing members of ASMIC some of them began their collections during WWII or Vietnam. The stuff was cheap and readily available. That was the time to collect.

Gentlemen,

I have officially gotten this project off the ground all thanks to a letter I wrote to the Iraq Afghanistan veterans of america iava. I have support they said they will talk to vets and members about donations...I am so happy not just for me but for history

Nick c.

Are you soliciting donations to an established museum, or to your own private collection?

Are you soliciting donations to an established museum, or to your own private collection?

Folks,

I'm getting donations (that is if people are willing lol) for a collection which is at the current point an archive and eventually possibly a museum I personally do not collect oif oef for personal collection but for history. I know it hard to believe but the iava is really helping out....I'm due to call soon lol will give updates soon thanks,

Nick c.