Crazy Price for a Sweetheart Pin

Brig

this just sold for over 135 on eBay. I had a small bid in, but upon seeing the Meyers mark pic, noticed there was no retaining pin and asked for a pic of the back, which she posted, showing a pinback instead of a screw post, however it does have seperately applied continents. NS Meyers, nice pin, really is, but not marked sterling or gold fill, I don't think. It seems 137 is a bit pricey. Am I missing something here?

fe9e_1.jpg

ff28_1.jpg

fefb_1.jpg

well, I see teufelhunde.ret threw in a generous bid. Obviously I'm missing something then...were Meyers dress emblems pinback?

You are missing something, because it is not a sweetheart pin!!

Okay Major Mike - give us some tips. A lot of us look at pinbacks and automatically assume "sweetheart..."

I know some collar emblems were pinback, but I presumed they were jeweler made. Too many times what I thought was a pinback collar emblem was a sweetheart, and I have been told that collar emblems were supposed to be screwback. I noticed you throwing in some bids on some items, Major, and tended to back down because I don't have that kind of a salary. Could you provide us with some more information on these? thanks

I bought it because it is a better left side match to the one I currently have. The other left one I have, is marked sterling. These did come in sets and were pinback. Era is probably late 1930's, but until photo evidence surfaces (I have over 1000 photos of Marine officers and havent seen these being worn), I can not say for sure. Because they were pinback, I believe that they were not extremely popular with Marine officers and may have even been phased out early by the maker. I have not seen another set. Like I have said before, there are grey areas that certain EGAs fall into when you start applying hardfast rules to them. So many buck the regs with method of attachment, type of material, style, size, and continent application. And so many have different marks. Just because it is not marked sterling, does not mean that it is not sterling.

Maj Manifor
(BROKEN LINK REMOVED)

thank you for the information. just proves there're seemingly endless amounts of variations out there. very nice set

I know some collar emblems were pinback, but I presumed they were jeweler made. Too many times what I thought was a pinback collar emblem was a sweetheart, and I have been told that collar emblems were supposed to be screwback. I noticed you throwing in some bids on some items, Major, and tended to back down because I don't have that kind of a salary. Could you provide us with some more information on these? thanks

Brig,

Money and what the other guy says has nothing to do with it (though it can help you out when you are first starting), it's your own experience and judgment that is your best asset.

Mike

Interesting Mike and Tim and others......Here's a Plate from the 1937 Uniforms Regs which shows Officer Dress Epaulets and Shoulder Knots. In Para. 433 - Ornaments, Collar, Dress under Fastener it states: "To have vertical clasp pin, , or screw or clutch fastener for attaching to dress and white coats, white mess jacket, shoulder knots, and epaulets."

When we observe unattached emblems and puzzle over the types of construction and fasteners we tend think in terms of what we know about how our insignia is worn rather than how they wore them back then. Epaulets were only required for the Aide-de-camp to the President and officers assigned for duty at the White House only. Knots, shoulder were required by all Commissioned officers except commissioned warrant officers. The full dress and evening uniforms having epaulets and shoulder knots are scarce and we may be looking at some of those gems in this thread.

Semper fi....Bobgee

USMC_Shoulder_Knots_1937_Regs.JPG

Tim, Bob and others...

Tim, with the single emblem from the auction being in dress mode, for the port side and having a pinback fastener, and also having the Meyer "service" pattern design, not that firms usually found dress pattern, I think anyone could have mistaken it for a "sweetheart" pin. I know I did! On first seeing it on eBay, I thought it might be Meyer's attempt at WWII sweetheart jewelry, much like the H&H sweetheart pinback emblems that look identical to that firms service emblems, except in dress mode. It's seeing the matching starboard side emblem that's the clincher that it is much more than a sweetheart pin. I will agree that this is a very unusual and rare set of emblems in this pattern. Maybe the Major can share dimensional sizes with us? Are they service size emblems, or the larger dress size? Bob, great information! Thanks!

s/f, Gary

The size is identical to that of the very common post backed service devices made by Meyer (I've put a pic on as well as the other variation marked sterling). Anchor is 1-3/16" long with the whole piece being the same tall. I think Bob has the right idea that these were made for the knots, as screwpost insignia would be impossible to get on.

Mike
(BROKEN LINKS REMOVED)