Sled toboggan - convertible

Tom @ Snake River

Tom @ Snake River

Hayes Otipalik displayed his at the Museum of Idaho. I contacted him and he had one left that I purchased.

They were made my Nichols & Cox Lumber Co out of Grand Rapids Mich. Most are dated 1945.

To be made to be pulled by several men with one pushing. The sleigh fully collasped. David Little doubts that they were used by the Mtn troops, but was developed for Alaska.

Anyone have one of these, or have further input ? ? ?

Dogsled2.jpg

post-4931-1325650332.jpg

post-4931-1325650353.jpg

I have the identical sled. The sled is a convertible in that it converts from a sled with runners to a tobaggon. Hard to sell as shipping is next to impossible. But I take mined out every winter to display in the store. If you live near a ski resort you might be able to trade it out for display at a ski patrol hut for a few lift tickets as they were used by local ski patrols back in the early rope tow days after WWII.

post-779-1325899643.jpg

post-779-1325899660.jpg

Tom @ Snake River
I have the identical sled. The sled is a convertible in that it converts from a sled with runners to a tobaggon. Hard to sell as shipping is next to impossible. But I take mined out every winter to display in the store. If you live near a ski resort you might be able to trade it out for display at a ski patrol hut for a few lift tickets as they were used by local ski patrols back in the early rope tow days after WWII.

I do have the pattern for the back panel and the handles if you are interested. I am now building the missing parts for mine.

When I was in ski patrol in the early 70's we used the later model fiberglass sleighs, installing a couple of handles on the front and a tail rope on the back.

sledfiberglass-1.jpg

post-4931-1326120595.jpg

• 1 month later...

I just picked one up of these sleds today in an antique barn in western Maine. It's in great shape except that it's missing the two handles and convertible back piece. I see that you might have patterns for them. I would be very interested. Please let me know.

Jim

• 1 year later...

Today, I purchased a US Nicholas & Cox LBR Co, 1945 Serial # 2135 Sled Toboggan from a little shop north of Marysville, Washington. It is complete minus the "giddy stick" and the one hoop that they come with. Handles are intact with the back also. Everything is there and it looks perfect, All the leather ties are even still in good shape. Would love to know what serial #'s are still out there. I am thrilled. I will be giving it as a present this Christmas to a dear friend. It looks just like your picture enclosed. So surprised that something has remained intact after all these years. I was even being stored outside under and overhang! FANTASTIC PIECE! i WILL TRY AND GET PICTURES!

Would love to see pictures! I still haven't located a pair or made my handles and loop yet but Tom@snake river was very generous to send me the pattern and plywood for the back piece. It's getting there! I'll look and see if I can locate the serial number and nomenclature. Good luck.

Jim

post-150504-0-12171800-1387847799.jpg THis is a copy of my new convertible sled-toboggan. it is serial #2135. Since I am such a "Ding-Ding" on the computer, I will have to send pictures one at a time....sorry!

post-150504-0-71245600-1387848628.jpgpost-150504-0-18373800-1387848656.jpg two more showing the handles and the writing.....it is in great shape! Wish I had a list of the total numbe of sleds there were, and what serials are still alive and well! From the serials, it is too bad you cannot pinpoint where the convertible sleds-toboggans were.

post-150504-0-38983700-1387850321.jpg One last picture....just trying to get used to posting pictures....I have some more stuff that is pretty neat....WWI gas mask that was my grandfathers.....problem with it is that it is that the mask is as stiff as a board....and it is canvas. any ideas how to make it soft again?

• 2 weeks later...
craig johnson

Here are a couple of photos I saved from an EBAY auction ( I think) a few years ago. Cant make them any bigger.

Photo676-S.jpg

Photo678.jpg

Photo680.jpg

• 4 years later...