5825 AM Overloon

The Netherlands

e-mail: [email protected]

e-mail group reservations: [email protected]

Tel: +31 (0)478 641250

www.oorlogsmuseum.nl

For a photo impression scroll through the following pages:

http://buzzybeeforum.nl/viewtopic.php?f=252&t=16960

The the Marshall Museum has a vast collection of all kinds of vehicles from WWII to the present (mostly US, but also British and Russian). It also contains lots of Allied and Axis weaponry uniforms and documentation.

The National War and Resistance Museum (adjacent) contains German, US and British vehicles, weaponry and uniforms and lots of documentation and artifacts from the battle of Overloon and the war period in the Netherlands in general.

An article on the museum in the Stars and Stripes:

http://www.stripes.com/military-life/trave...erlands-1.97576

post-9199-1325593201.jpg

post-9199-1325593214.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sjef,

Thanks for sharing this.

When I was stationed in Europe in the 1980's, I understood there was an outdoor park at Overloon that had various vehicles and, of all things, an RAF reconnaisance Spitfire painted sky blue. A friend of mine had photos, but I never made the trip.

I don't know how long this museum has been there, but it looks well worth a visit.

I think it surprises a lot of Americans how much US WWII gear remains in Europe. But then again, that is where all of it was sent and used. Add to that, quite a bit of it was farmed out after the war to help build up the decimated forces of our Allies.

It may be an unfair advantage, but a lot of the US gear in European museums has an air of authenticity due to wear and tear that is sometimes missing from US museums.

If you happen to come across an English language website for this museum, please add this to your pst.