WWII Grouping POW and NAVAL AVIATOR - USS HOUSTON

KASTAUFFER

Corpsmancollector

This is another stunning group Kurt and thank you for sharing it with us. There's such depth to it and a vast array of really great items. It's groupings like this that really raise the profile of this forum and allow many of us to see items that we otherwise would not have the chance to.

Will

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the comments!

I just got his BIO which includes the citations for his Air Medal and Commendation Ribbons. They speak for themselves,

Bio1.JPG

Bio2.JPG

If I have the correct design VCS-4 was a cartoon type unit design with "Popeye" standing on an aircraft centerline float holding a round bomb with fuse lit and he's looking through a "spyglass", wearing headset with small "zaps" emmiting from them .

Johnny

Hi Johnny

I did some more reserach and found out that the planes on the USS Houston were not considered part of a squadron from the period of time the Houston was fighting post Pearl Harbor. They were just part of the ships company.

Kurt

Johnny Signor
Hi Johnny

I did some more reserach and found out that the planes on the USS Houston were not considered part of a squadron from the period of time the Houston was fighting post Pearl Harbor. They were just part of the ships company.

Kurt

Yeah , it's kind of funny that some were just that , and yet at different times they had "specific Unit" types on them , just another one of the WW-2 era points of Confusion to make the history search that much harder , thsnsk for the look up about it !

Johnny

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Kurt, the Dutch ribbon is a Ridder in de Orde van Oranje-Nassau. (Knight in the Order of Orange-Nassau).

Could be given for bravery in the NEI or, and that is even rarer, for his help to the Dutch as a POW.

Nice group !

Regards

Herman

This is a wonderful group Kurt. I also have no idea how I missed it the first time around. I have a very large "scrapbook / photo album to the Houston from her launch to about 1940.

Dick

I have missed this one as well, and it certainly worth comment. This has about all a group can have, and a happy ending too. Very nice.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Great group with an even greater story. Payne's Dutch award was for actions on the Houston.

Captain Rooks received a Military Order of William, 4th class for his actions in the Netherlands East Indies in 1942.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Still outstanding! Interesting to see the Award Cards & the downgrading which took place by the rear-echelon commandoes! Bob

• 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...