The restored USMC uniform of a two-time world record holder

teufelhunde.ret

Darrell,

Simply stunning. What a rich history lesson. Thank you. I need to do some more research into a Lt that was on the 1938 USMC Camp Perry team. I have his Mameluke.

High Regards,

Sean

Wow -- that is an absolutely phenomenal restoration.

Take note, everyone out there sticking ribbons onto moth-eaten Ike Jackets... THIS is how to do a proper uniform restoration.

Darrell, I like the coat, but more, the way you presented it here with MGySGT Jones' story, photos, and history. As you said, it brings his service to life, and that's exactly what you have done. We both know, Marines live forever, but few Marines are lucky enough to have someone care enough to tell their story in detail like this.

Semper Fi

jeremiahcable

Darrell, as I mentioned to you in a PM, this thread is almost overwhelming in its content. It's a wonderful thing to see that your attention to detail with EGAs, and your other interests has borne fruit with this uniform as well. It amazes me that all the ribbons have the same wear and brightness, and knowing that you did those bars piece by piece makes it more impressive.

The quality of your research and restoration is top-notch, my friend.

I'm going to have to step my game up now.......

• 3 weeks later...

While I have not yet found time to read the entire thread, I certainly look forward to finishing and just have to say, I've known this project has been in the works for quite some time, and Darryl is a very patient person when it comes to showcasing the truly rare items (remember General Hill's thread!). I'm glad to see the project complete, very well done and inspires me to continue my own restoration project upon return to the free world. I look forward to reading/seeing your future projects, they add some real substance to the forum.

As a Marine with a history in the marksmanship program, this topic reaches a special spot with me. Bravo!

• 7 months later...
MurfreesboroMemphis

Darrel,

The uniform looks incredible. The ribbons and badges are perfect. I'm amazed at the depth of information you were able to find on Jones, and all of the pictures. I enjoyed seeing all the pictures of him as much as the uniform! I don't think you could have done a better job on the project as a whole. Great piece to have in your collection, especially being able to put a face to the uniform and knowing what he accomplished during his career! -Will

Sure glad to see this thread bumped back up. Fantastic :thumbsup:

So Darrel, does your research indicate that Jones may have been on the second-place team for the 1937 Roumanian Trophy match ?

Best regards,

Paul

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
teufelhunde.ret

Recently discovered photo of Jones as a member of the 1934 Asiatic Rifle Team. He is standing second from right.

image.jpg

• 2 months later...

I visit this thread now and then to remind myself what's important to me with my little collection. Such an amazing restoration to go with the research.

I just reread this for I think the 3rd time, what a great story and restoration.

I am restoring a uniform now and I agree Allan H. is the man to go to for ribbon racks.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
teufelhunde.ret

For Sale: $600. This group his been sitting in a closet for 5 years.... since my retirement from work. Starting a war chest to buy a new C8 Corvette once they hit production status. This is not doing anyone any good sitting in a closet. Will negotiate the selling of all research material I have with buyer, once sale has been completed.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...