The restored USMC uniform of a two-time world record holder

teufelhunde.ret

D: Wow!!! So that is how you have been spending your time!!! A wonderful uniform brought back by your determination and hard research work.....A great thread for a New Year!

Kurt Barickman

Great Job, really enjoy seeing it and great job on the restoration. Love those WWII vintage senior enlisted greens in officer quality.

Kurt

teufelhunde.ret
Darrell,

Great job - This really adds to the legacy of one of the "Corps" top marksmen.

S/F Bill

Thanks! I would like to give credit to member "Allan H" who assisted in putting the "rack" together. Anyone who needs this kind of help w/ a project should speak with him. He does great work!

Outstanding job, Darrell! :twothumbup: Great to see this historical uniform retoresd and story of the owner. Semper Fi......Bob

teufelhunde.ret
D: Wow!!! So that is how you have been spending your time!!! A wonderful uniform brought back by your determination and hard research work.....A great thread for a New Year!

Outstanding job, Darrell! :twothumbup: Great to see this historical uniform retoresd and story of the owner. Semper Fi......Bob

Thanks Gents -really appreciate your help and "lending an ear" during the research!

Just incredible! What I find sort of interesting is the SSI....is that 'Communications'?

Great ribbon rack as well....

Fantastically written and now preserved. Well DONE, sir!

Darrell,

Congratulations on your outstanding research and your write up on this remarkable marine! I am thrilled that I was ble to play a small part in the restoration. I am even more thrilled that you spent the time and effort to get the story right. I know how frustrating it was for you to get the information from the archives, but as stated earlier- sometimes you have to keep going back and telling them to try harder. Your efforts have really paid off!

Allan

blitzkrieg gsd

Super nice group you have there, my dad was a member of the rifle team in the mid sixtys. So it hold a place in my heart as well. Did you get lucky enough to find any of his trophys?

teufelhunde.ret
Just incredible! What I find sort of interesting is the SSI....is that 'Communications'?

Great ribbon rack as well....

Fantastically written and now preserved. Well DONE, sir!

It's know by most as the Headquarters, Fleet Marine Force, Pacific patch. BTW, "Coyle" will be in the research mix this year.

jones_Patch___ribbons_001.jpg

D-

Beautiful uniform! Congrats on the restoration job. You have done some amazing research. I really love the shooting medals.

...Kat

Outstanding museum quality work. All the research as well can not be appreciated in just these few words. I love stories about people and this is one great story.

teufelhunde.ret
Darrell,

Congratulations on your outstanding research and your write up on this remarkable marine! I am thrilled that I was ble to play a small part in the restoration. I am even more thrilled that you spent the time and effort to get the story right. I know how frustrating it was for you to get the information from the archives, but as stated earlier- sometimes you have to keep going back and telling them to try harder. Your efforts have really paid off!

Allan

Thanks agan Allan for your help!

jones_Patch___ribbons_006.jpg

Thanks agan Allan for your help!

D,

These medals and ribbons are just beautiful! I am at a loss for words to describe exactly how nice these look.

....Kat

Darrell,

Another outstanding history lesson from your collection. It's always a pleasure for us on the forum when you find a good'n. This one qualifies.

Happy New Year,

Dennis

Beautiful work researching and restoring! Being a rookie at researching an individual, I have run into roadblock after roadblock. Persistence has paid dividends for me. I have the luxury of at least being related to my subjects...your challenge is far greater than mine. I applaud your efforts and that uniform is certainly a fantastic reward that we all get to benefit from.

Thank you for sharing!

Stinger Gunner USMC

I was complimenting Darrell in private on his wonderful research and restoration of this historically significant uniform but wanted to take a moment to share my thoughts with the rest of the forum members.

First of all: Darrell, you have done a superb job. I am enthusiastically happy that you have gone to such pain staking trouble to document this Marines history! You have done an excellent job.

All too often on the forum I have come to find threads with posts of wonderful uniforms, medal groups, and other militaria of significant historic value with little or no explanation, story or research shared. Rather than show and tell, there seems to be more show. I, myself, have been guilty of this from time to time. I just wanted to applaud Darrell on his ability to share this Marines story in a very deserving way, and his his accurate restoration of this uniform, so that it may be preserved for years to come. I think everyone who reads this thread should take notice of these efforts, and while I know that not every veterans service will amount to several pages of noteworthy text based information, I do feel that those of us who decide to share our artifacts with our fellow forum members should take the time to properly photograph them and tell the veterans' story to the best of their ability. It always saddens me to see a fine uniform from one of our country's veterans photographed lying on the floor crumpled up and wrinkled, and then even more so when there is no information about the piece.

I surely don't mean to rant on the subject but thought that placing this post in such a well put together thread would be appropriate.

Semper Fi,

teufelhunde.ret
All too often on the forum I have come to find threads with posts of wonderful uniforms, medal groups, and other militaria of significant historic value with little or no explanation, story or research shared. Rather than show and tell, there seems to be more show. I, myself, have been guilty of this from time to time. I just wanted to applaud Darrell on his ability to share this Marines story in a very deserving way, and his his accurate restoration of this uniform, so that it may be preserved for years to come. I think everyone who reads this thread should take notice of these efforts, and while I know that not every veterans service will amount to several pages of noteworthy text based information, I do feel that those of us who decide to share our artifacts with our fellow forum members should take the time to properly photograph them and tell the veterans' story to the best of their ability. It always saddens me to see a fine uniform from one of our country's veterans photographed lying on the floor crumpled up and wrinkled, and then even more so when there is no information about the piece.

I surely don't mean to rant on the subject but thought that placing this post in such a well put together thread would be appropriate.

Hi James - yes I agree, w/o a rehash of your observations thru the years of he forums existence, far too many interesting and historically significant uniforms / groups / items are shown here, more often than not a trivial amount of information and little research into the serviceman's background and career. Research is NOT HARD WORK! It's a pleasure to see the serviceman's life come alive before your eyes. It is as important, if not more, than being the custodian of the item(s). I can only hope this thread will stimulate others to follow, as its very rewarding!

First of all fantastic job of restoring and preserving this outstanding marine's history. The research is the fun part of collecting. I have to agree with James in reviewing my own posts I could do alot better job of telling the story at least what I know of it.I know I'll be inspired by your work. Mark

teufelhunde.ret
First of all fantastic job of restoring and preserving this outstanding marine's history. The research is the fun part of collecting. I have to agree with James in reviewing my own posts I could do alot better job of telling the story at least what I know of it.I know I'll be inspired by your work. Mark

Beautiful work researching and restoring! Being a rookie at researching an individual, I have run into roadblock after roadblock. Persistence has paid dividends for me. I have the luxury of at least being related to my subjects...your challenge is far greater than mine. I applaud your efforts and that uniform is certainly a fantastic reward that we all get to benefit from.

Darrell, Another outstanding history lesson from your collection. It's always a pleasure for us on the forum when you find a good'n. This one qualifies.

Dennis

Thank you all very much for the favorable reviewS and comments! THANK YOU!

Great work Darrell. I'm also guilty of much more show than tell in the items I post, mostly because I want to post them when I get them and before I know much about them. It's really nice to see a great research project unfold before our eyes.

It's know by most as the Headquarters, Fleet Marine Force, Pacific patch. BTW, "Coyle" will be in the research mix this year.

Ah, got it! Thanks. Can't wait to see what you do with Coyle!

normaninvasion

Finally it is shown! I echo the above comments and know how much time and effort that was put into research of this Marine. Will return often to this thread for some good winter reading. :thumbsup:

Sgt. Boghots
post-376-1325512120.jpg

Jones photo found on web approx 1921

Darrell,

I can't find the words to adequately describe my appreciation for how you've brought this significant uniform to life with your research and narative :thumbsup:

I've got a real soft spot for all things National Match; I've got an attributed 1921NM '03 and shooting box, that has sent me down the road with hundreds of hours of research and enjoyment. As a result, I'm well familiar with Jones.

In my shooting box are a number of accessories, to include a P.J. O'Hare cast aluminum shooting rest, like the one in your photo of him aiming the rifle next to the upturned folding stool.

Well done :thumbsup:

Best regards,

Paul Walker

Klamath Falls, Oregon