determining date of LTC rank insignia

mmerc20

I have a handful of rank insignia both sterling and not and I really have no idea on how to date them. Are there any good references online for rank backs? Does anyone have any clue on these? I have seen ones like the top one sell quite well on ebay and its only marked sterling. I have a few sets of them. The second one is marked sterling in the square. #3 and #4 are unmarked and the bottom one has the Meyer shield with "should-r-form". Are all should r form's from WWII?

Mike

post-3373-1325455778.jpg

Look all WW2 era to me

There were post back insignias during the war but the pin back seemed to be more prevelant.

The last pair(post back) being Meyer made can be classified by the markimgs.Meyer had several different logos over the years and they are posted here on the forum in a pinned thread.

Yep, "WW2 Vintage" is appropriate. I have never seen the square around the STERLING before like on the 2nd set. That's pretty cool.

Dave

Is there any reason why a pair like the first set would sell for considerably more than others or could that be contributed to crazy people on eBay? I think 3 or 4 sets in one lot sold for like 200 or so. I didn't know if they were more rare or special for some reason.

Mike

Is there any reason why a pair like the first set would sell for considerably more than others or could that be contributed to crazy people on eBay? I think 3 or 4 sets in one lot sold for like 200 or so. I didn't know if they were more rare or special for some reason.

Mike

My mistake. It was two sets (4 individual pieces) like the top one I have that sold for $200. Seems kinda crazy to me but I would be more than happy selling mine for less than that!

The last pair(post back) being Meyer made can be classified by the markimgs.Meyer had several different logos over the years and they are posted here on the forum in a pinned thread.

Post wwii Meyer's can be identified by the presence of a 2nd shield, it will have on the top a number and the bottom a letter.

post-33458-1325784268.jpg

Aside from the the cb being a dead giveaway, you'll see the shields on each side of the insignia. Some will identify that they're silver (like this one) or gold filled, others I've seen just have the Meyer shield and the other with the number and letter on the other shield.