8-point covers without EGAs

tomlegg

Hiya folks,

I've been after a couple of the 8-point similar to the USMC issue ones but without the EGA stencilled on them. Does anyone know of a source of these in OD green ones and woodland camo? Any info would be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance,

Tom

EDIT: Just noticed I fluffed up the title - it should read 8-point covers without EGAs - my bad folks!

Tom

Hi there mate,

I've certainly found the odd woodland 8-point cover without the EGA on eBay, but never an OD green one. If you've got a link to one I'd be very appreciative.

Many thanks,

Tom

craig_pickrall

Ask around from some of the Navy guys. The covers were used by Navy units such as the Sea Bees that wore the same uniform as the Marines and Army. There are several other shore bound USN units that fit the bill too. Usually the Marine clothing sale stores have these covers available too but I'm not sure that is something they still stock.

VirtualMariner
Ask around from some of the Navy guys. The covers were used by Navy units such as the Sea Bees that wore the same uniform as the Marines and Army. There are several other shore bound USN units that fit the bill too. Usually the Marine clothing sale stores have these covers available too but I'm not sure that is something they still stock.

Unfortunately, I don't know a source for them, but this is true. The Navy wears 8 point covers like the Marines, but the last units I know of that wore the OD uniform were the Navy Seabees and Navy Beachmasters. I think the Beachmasters were the last to switch to camoflauge and that was in the '90's.

Hello guys,

Thanks for all the comments and replies. As you've guessed, if I can get hold of these, they will be for my Seabees and PBR crewman impressions. eBay so far hasn't turned up much, but I might need to broaden my search on there. I'm going to try some of the bigger militaria dealers online and go from there. Thanks again for your help folks. If anyone sees one sized 7 1/4 for sale, I'd be very interested :)

Cheers all,

Tom

I recall years ago that Ken Nolan Company and Northwood,Bigade Quatermasters and The Cavalry Store sold a lot of the OD caps and leaf pattern post Viet Nam era.This said with the uniform changes these may not be offered if they still are in bussiness.Many of these companies have gone more toward the law enforcement/tactical style clothing lines

VirtualMariner

Was web surfing and came across a a source for OD 8 point caps. I'm sure there are others, but I remembered this thread and thought I'd share. It may look like they're makred with an EGA, but it says you can get them plain, which would make them good for Navy uniforms.

http://www.armysurplusworld.com/product.asp?ProductID=31366

Interestingly, I see they also sell a navy blue colored 8 point cap. I'm not aware of anyone that wears them with current uniforms, but I'm in the Coast Guard Auxiliary and the rumor is that we'll (all the Coast Guard) be going to an 8 point cap starting in 2013. The Commandant's already been caught in photos wearing a test model. I hope we do switch...I like the 8-pointers.