Great Grandmother WAC Service Hat

chuckie

All, This will be quick. I have my great grandmothers WAC service hat and i was wondering what it might be worth to a collector. If I remember correctly, she was one of the first wacs who enlisted AND, her name was Betsy Ross! I tried to get more pics on here, but they were to big. If you or someone needs more pics, email me and I can send. Any help I would be grateful for. Thanks, Chuck

post-8180-1325377384.jpg

fortworthgal

The Hobby hats generally start around $100, but most I've seen are around the $150-$200 mark, depending. Price goes up if it is the darker mustard or officer wool, or the size is larger (like 22 or 23). Since yours appears to be in good shape, has the early "walking buzzard" cap badge, and is named to the owner with provenance, I would say $150-$175 is a fair price.

What is the size of the hat, and does it have a box or anything with it? Are the side buttons US Army style or the walking buzzard?

All, the hat is a size 22 1/2 with a plastic liner on top of the hat(inside) The pic is of the buttons on the side. The tag reads-- CAP, WAAC, Members Winter Type #11 Betmar Hats, Inc. Cont W-669 QM 22655 Dated Nov 3 1942, Spec. No. Tent. P.Q.D. 211 Dated July 20th 1942 Stock No. 73-C-64578 Phila.Q.M. Depot, and then signed by my Great Grandmother Betsy Ross and part of her service number. Sorry for the pics, i am working with a scanner. Thanks for all the info!

post-8180-1325611463.jpg

fortworthgal

Ok, if it is the winter wool (sorry from the pic it looked khaki) and a 22-1/2 then that helps. I think $175 is fair.

• 10 years later...

I'd be interested in pursuing some more information about your grandmother for a possible display on women in WWII at our WWII Aviation Museum.