FRANK B. TYNDALL 22ND AERO SQUADRON

BEAST

My Mom's cousin sent this to me a couple of years ago. She told me that she had a WWI Infantry manual that had been in the family for a long time and wondered if I wanted it. Even though it was a common manual, I am not one to turn down anything for free! When I received it I was very surprised by what was inside.

post-203-1197342712.jpg

post-203-1197342773.jpg

Tyndall had four confirmed "kills" with one more probable. He was killed in 1930 during a test flight. Tyndall Air FOrce Base was named in his honor.

post-203-1197342832.jpg

Although we had WWI vets in our family, we are not too sure how we ended up with this manual. There is a $5.50 price written on the interior, so it may have been purchased by one of relatives after the war.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
Tyndall Historian

Hey Beast

Hope you're doing great. It's pretty hot still down here in Florida. I'm the Tyndall AFB Historian, and I saw your post about Frank Tyndall. I am in the process of setting up a Tyndall Heritage Museum and am looking for additional material. Would you, by any chance, be willing to sell this material about Tyndall? I would love to talk more about Tyndall history, even if you don't want to sell.

Thanks, Ted

Tyndall Historian

By the way, Beast, I have tons and tons of material on Tyndall AFB and Tyndall Field that I would be willing to share. I have original WWII histories of the Flexible Gunnery School, and all the histories of Tyndall and its wings and squadrons. I have hundreds of photos and momentos too. Can't give you the momentos, but I can take pictures. I can give you photos and books.

I'm just short of original material on Tyndall himself.

Ted

Hi Ted,

I am holding on to the manual for now, at least until I can figure out how it ties to my family. Do you know if Frank Tyndall had relatives here in Indiana? Tyndall Armory is named after Robert Tyndall who commanded the 38th Division (Indiana National Guard), retiring in 1941.