A-6 boots

ztoddman1

anyone out there know a source for reproduction A-6 leather boots?

No one, YET! I hope someone will take this ball and run with it.

Scott

I can't see anyone making them, when you consider how expensive they'd be to produce and how few people would actually buy them.

I've had a good AAF crewman impression since the 90s (all original buy for the A-2 jacket I use) and I can't remember the last time I've seen anyone wearing A-6s, even back when you could still find them and wear them... :think:

I can't see anyone making them, when you consider how expensive they'd be to produce and how few people would actually buy them.

I've had a good AAF crewman impression since the 90s (all original buy for the A-2 jacket I use) and I can't remember the last time I've seen anyone wearing A-6s, even back when you could still find them and wear them... :think:

Actually I think they would go pretty well especially after the "Redwings" movie comes out. Heck air AND GROUND crews wore them and actually have photos of air liasons assigned to combat units in Europe and Italy wearing them. Plus I think if as many companies making some of these other items that are more difficult to reproduce the A-6's would be a little easier.

Scott

I tracked a pair on ebay just a couple of months ago...in fact I posted them on the forum. The asking price was $1000!! :w00t: Needless to say, they did not sell! The ones below are from my own collection.

post-8022-1325355667.jpg

Took me a long time to track down a pair. I have one pair that have a rip in them that I keep on my display mannequin. My other pair are in nice serviceable condition that I wear only once in awhile. By no means are they mint, but they are not shredding apart like so many others.

Ian, are yours Modified A6 or A6A which might be postwar?

Hello Johan..yes, I know mine are the later type with the added straps..but I'm pretty sure they're wartime examples!

Actually I think they would go pretty well especially after the "Redwings" movie comes out. Heck air AND GROUND crews wore them and actually have photos of air liasons assigned to combat units in Europe and Italy wearing them. Plus I think if as many companies making some of these other items that are more difficult to reproduce the A-6's would be a little easier.
I have to disagree. There’s no way that ‘Red Tails’ will boost an interest in re-enacting beyond a few random people. You’ll never see a “Bandwagon of Brothers” style surge in re-enacting for AAF. The Memphis Belle movie in the early 90s did very little and that was at a time where AAF re-enacting was finally starting to get big (well, as big as it was going to get, anyway).

And as for the boots, most events at airshows take place where it’s not exactly freezing outside. An A-6 boot would be very difficult and expensive to make. Just pick up an original and take a very good look. I can’t see even mass producing them where the retail cost could be under, say, $300 or so, as a buddy of mine looked into some odd German boot like this once and ran the numbers.

People in the hobby really have to get past what they want and see what would actually broadly sell in a market. It’s so easy to say, “You should make this; you’d make a fortune from repro sales!” When in fact, it really translates to, “I want one of these badly and maybe a few of my friends might want them as well. So, make them, please.”

Sure, I’d love to be able to buy a repro set of A-6 boots, but I know I’d probably never wear the things, and I wouldn’t want to pay what it’d cost to make them in bulk. I might see one of the Japanese companies making them, but they’d be in tiny sizes and cost several hundred dollars.