USS Nimitz badge

hink441

I guess there is not much interest in these badges. :huh: Oh well, I forgot to mention it says US property on the back and is a rather heavy badge.

Chris

To be honest, I always hated being on the Master-At-Arms force. I even did a short stint as Chief Master-At-Arms, and really hated that. Pretty much just like I hated Shore Patrol. Simply a pain in the sweetheart all the time, full time. I was much closer in nature to those who were dodging the MAA and SP. :rolleyes: We wore our badges on leather keepers. Some had weighted endg to slip into pockets, some had clips like civilian Cops who clip badges on their belts. Those were very bulkey when we cliped them to a shirt of jumper pocket. For me it was not a fun or enjoyable experience, so OK, nice badge. I could never weight to turn mine in.

Steve Hesson

I have my badge from when I was at Naval Brig Seattle (it closed a few months after my tour). I've been hoping to locate badges from both of my ships from when I did MAA duty. I even wore a badge when I was mess-deck MAA (why they made me do that is beyond me) - for which I volunteered as we were in the yards. Talk about skate-duty!

I have my badge from when I was at Naval Brig Seattle (it closed a few months after my tour). I've been hoping to locate badges from both of my ships from when I did MAA duty. I even wore a badge when I was mess-deck MAA (why they made me do that is beyond me) - for which I volunteered as we were in the yards. Talk about skate-duty!

I did MD M-A-A twice on two diferent ships. That was the worst. I never understood why a Petty Officer from any department other than Supply had to do that duty. I did it on a frigate with 6 first class cooks and a Chief! Not to mention the Second and Third Class Cooks. One of them couldn't have run their own mess deck?

Steve Hesson

VirtualMariner
To be honest, I always hated being on the Master-At-Arms force. I even did a short stint as Chief Master-At-Arms, and really hated that. Pretty much just like I hated Shore Patrol.

I always managed to dodge doing MAA duty, but there were always a couple of OS's duty temp duty with them. I have to admit that fact came in handy once or twice. ;)

On the other hand, I always tried to get Shore Patrol duty when we were overseas. That was the only way to get off the ship on duty days and, well, let's just say that some of us interpreted the rules as to what we should be doing a little differently than what they probably expected. If nothing else, it kept me from standing quarterdeck watch, which I hated.

To be honest, I always hated being on the Master-At-Arms force. I even did a short stint as Chief Master-At-Arms, and really hated that. Pretty much just like I hated Shore Patrol. Simply a pain in the sweetheart all the time, full time. I was much closer in nature to those who were dodging the MAA and SP. :rolleyes: We wore our badges on leather keepers. Some had weighted endg to slip into pockets, some had clips like civilian Cops who clip badges on their belts. Those were very bulkey when we cliped them to a shirt of jumper pocket. For me it was not a fun or enjoyable experience, so OK, nice badge. I could never weight to turn mine in.

Steve Hesson

I augmented the MAA force on a base. Man driving in those vans at night seemed to go on forever. We used to catch the A schoolers jumping the fence at night vice using the main gate. It would get comical at night. We would be hard on the young sailors for minor infractions. But, that was our job keeping them in line. It was fun to use the radio 10-9, 10-4 and the searchlights. :crying: Forget about it if we caught you not stopping correctly at a stop sign in the middle of nowhere on base... :rolleyes:

I managed to avoid any TAD time to the Mess Deck MAA, but I spent a few months in the scullery. I was always in the airwing and we always stood SP watches in port. Fun times mostly. :rolleyes:

Chris

I managed to avoid any TAD time to the Mess Deck MAA, but I spent a few months in the scullery. I was always in the airwing and we always stood SP watches in port. Fun times mostly. :rolleyes:

Chris

What was up with that making sure the mess cooks were kept under control? I remember the scullery too on a DDG. Man it could get hot.

I remember the Mess Deck MAAs enforced the rules on the mess decks. Important things, like a dirty flight deck jersey, haircuts etc. would get automatic attention. Needless to say, these guys were very popular among the troops. :lol:

I remember the Mess Deck MAAs enforced the rules on the mess decks. Important things, like a dirty flight deck jersey, haircuts etc. would get automatic attention. Needless to say, these guys were very popular among the troops. :lol:

No food for you!!! :w00t:

Here's a crappy (from my Blackberry) photo of my badge from my tour at the navy Brig:

6644799527_aa688d188e_b.jpg

I'd show you the back, but it is mounted in my shadow box.

• 4 months later...
I always managed to dodge doing MAA duty, but there were always a couple of OS's duty temp duty with them. I have to admit that fact came in handy once or twice. ;)

On the other hand, I always tried to get Shore Patrol duty when we were overseas. That was the only way to get off the ship on duty days and, well, let's just say that some of us interpreted the rules as to what we should be doing a little differently than what they probably expected. If nothing else, it kept me from standing quarterdeck watch, which I hated.

My SP plan of operation was to snag one of the SP duties on the first night in a new port (if my section had the duty, usually a Port and Starboard setup). The first night of SP allowed me to pre-scout the hottest spots to hit on the next evening when my section would have liberty.

River Rat 1

On my last ship I was qualified fire party,shore patrol,petty officer of the watch on the quarterdeck,security alert force,boatswain mate of the watch on the bridge just about any thing they could throw at me.I remember doing shore patrol in Hong Kong and the Philippines now the Philippines was good to do shore patrol for the first three months of westpac was on a ammo ship so we would pick up cargo and drop stuff off so we hit a lot of ports on westpac.Now why was the Philippines good for the first three months of westpac well after doing our rounds on shore patrol at midnight we would muster at the provost marshal and they would cut us loose so we could go back to the ship well some of us would go party the duty section never knew when the provost marshal cut loose the shore patrol well the ship figured it out so that ended three months later lucky nobody got in trouble.One thing glad those ammo ships had the man power for four section duty.

• 3 weeks later...
67Rally,

That is a neat looking badge. I would really like to see a better picture if you can.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

Here is a better photo...I finally got around to snapping one yesterday (yes, I know...I am fast!).

7370494238_d96aef7cd5_c.jpg

Very nice looking badge. That is also a very nice photograph. Much better than the earlier one !! :thumbsup:

Here is the original USS Nimitz badge.

post-10825-1339708205.jpg