N. S. Meyer whistle

hink441

I have had this whistle for a few years and I am unsure as to the era this is from. The N. S. Meyer mark is a new one to me. The made in England mark has me stumped. Could this be from WW1?? Can someone shed some light on this neat whistle and tell me how old it is? Thanks for looking.

Chris

whistle001.jpg

whistle002.jpg

That style of whistle was widely used by the British Army and Police force for many years, pre and post WW1 thru WW2 and beyond. Maybe they were made for export and marketed in the US by NS Meyer?

Here are the two most commonly encountered British Military/Police whistles. The "traditional" cylindrical type like yours and the "Acme Thunderer" type, also often used by US personnel during WW2.

post-8022-1325187109.jpg

Thanks for the picture. I found a little more info about these whistles. On the Great War forum they have been discussed. " WHISTLE FACT; During WW1 Acme supplied their American Agent N S Meyer with whistles marked N S Meyer New York." I still don't know if this is a modern repro though.

craig_pickrall

Do a search here for whistle. There are several good threads with lots of info and photos.

Thanks for those links, they are very informative! :thumbsup:

Chris

Hi All,

you probably know that these are still made by ACME in Birmingham, UK.

You may find this short youtube video of their production interesting (well, I did :thumbsup: )

Whistle Manufacture Link

And a short history of the company

Acme Whistle History Link

Best Regards,

Prof

Thanks for those links, they are very informative! :thumbsup:

Chris

Thanks, Chris.

Incidentally, ACME is the company that originally made the 'crickets' for D-Day Europe, and now make reproductions using similar metal bashing techniques to those illustrated in the video.

Best Regards,

Prof